Vegetarian Meals

mkreesecup

I've cruised several times on RC smaller ships and the vegetarian meals were SO dismal and left me hungry most of the time......a vegetarian does not live by salad alone! Considering another cruise and wondering if the vegetarian selections might be better on Norwegian, Carnival or the larger or the RC ships. Any info would be much appreciated

I can't answer for the other lines, but I've always found RCI, Celebrity and HAL to have wonderful vegetarian foods. Very few were just salads; most were appetizers, soups, and entrees. Last RCI cruise, after I ordered the veg main course, one of the chefs came out to give me an extra Indian veg entrée, just as a gift. He returned the following evening to give me another. All delicious.

I've cruised several times on RC smaller ships and the vegetarian meals were SO dismal and left me hungry most of the time......a vegetarian does not live by salad alone! Considering another cruise and wondering if the vegetarian selections might be better on Norwegian, Carnival or the larger or the RC ships. Any info would be much appreciated

Oceania IS food and that includes all dietary types.

no idea what you consider vegetarian but since the menu is the same across the fleet, you will be sorely disappointed if you didn't like any of the daily offerings( and as a die hard meat and potatoes person, sometimes the vegetarian section was the best thing to choose from!)

I've been on Royal, NCL, and Princess, and the MDR dinner menu often had only 1 veggie main entree. I'm mostly veggie / picky eater, so I can definitely relate to the options being boring or just to my liking. I can usually find plenty to fill me up, but it tends to be very carb heavy / reliant on a rich dessert, especially at dinner. However, there are other creative options.

Ordering multiple starters to make an entree. Asking for the sides of dishes listed on the menu / asking for something to be left off to keep it veggie. Asking for something simple that they will keep on hand or be able to easily make on short notice, like a baked potato, mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, fruit plate, cheese plate (often a dessert option), or a plain pasta. There is also the kid's menu - mac & cheese, pizza, pasta, etc.

Plus Royal in particular is known to have Indian food available on request every night, including veggie. The buffet usually has many more options. Even if you are cruising with folks who insist on the main dining room, if you don't get quite enough there, a quick visit to the buffet before or after dinner could help fill in the gaps.

Order more than 1 of each course if you find the portions too small; most cruiselines make them small on purpose as they know people will order more than one.

The final option is the most likely to get you something you'd enjoy but takes some work - ask to speak to the maitre d about other vegetarian options. You may have to order the night before, but you could probably request pretty much anything. They aim to make you happy. A good waitstaff would ask what they can do if they see you having trouble finding something to order.

I’m a confirmed meat eater who eats primarily vegetarian on Carnival.

Every night has at least one vegetarian entree and a nightly Indian Vegetarian entree. Lots of vegetarian appetizers also. The new breakfast menu has Avocado Toast and an excellent Masala Dosa (spicy flavorful, not spicy hot).

Brunch has several vegetarian items as well.

Vegetarians options are also on the buffet, deli, and pizza stations. Several ships have an Indian Tandoor open for lunch.

Wasn’t too impressed with the vegetarian options on Princess.