Scandinavian and Russian Cruise on the Serenade of the Seas - LIVE(ish) Trip Report

My daughter is in Sockholm for the weekend and Ed Shearan concert tonight. They are visiting Vasa Museum as well! Glad to see tour photos as children dont share anything with their parents while traveling it seems!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are going to Stockholm, the Vasa Museum is 100% worth a visit. We went early this morning, arriving roughly 845. Zero crowds. Around 930 the tour buses started to arrive. Museum is laid out great, and there is really tons of cool info and things to look at that you could spend loads of time. We spent about 90 minutes there.

City Hall - Slightly annoying that you're forced into a guided tour ... The tour takes roughly an hour, but for us personally we could have walked through the rooms in half that time. The gold room is really cool though.

The ride to Drottingholm Palace is a bit pricey by ferry (440 sek each) but totally worth it. Very nice 45 minute scenic ride and relaxing ... Helps to break up all the walking. We did not pay to go into the palace, but instead chose to grab a sandwich (delicious salami and brie on a baguette) and then tour the gardens, which is free.

Both churches we visited are totally worth the small entrance fee. Both different, but pretty inside with interesting things to look at.

I don't know how to post videos here, but we did watch the changing of the guard yesterday. Pretty cool, minus the blazing sun and it feeling like 100°. It starts 12:15 weekdays and 1:15 weekends. Fun to watch.

We also loved the hike up Monteliusvagen. The views across the lake were great.

All in all Stockholm is pretty great. Fairly easy to get around via foot, though we have walked roughly 20 miles now in 2 days. Lots of cool scenery, architecture, and museums to check out, and food is delicious.

Couple of Stockholm questions:

1) How much Swedish currency did you find you needed to carry? I know Sweden is supposed to be largely cashless (in favor of credit cards) and also largely tipless, but I presume some cash is needed for toilets, donations at the cathedrals you entered, baggage handlers, etc.

2) When you went to City Hall, were you able to get a tour quickly? Or did they give you a timed ticket to come back later in the day?

Couple of Stockholm questions:

1) How much Swedish currency did you find you needed to carry? I know Sweden is supposed to be largely cashless (in favor of credit cards) and also largely tipless, but I presume some cash is needed for toilets, donations at the cathedrals you entered, baggage handlers, etc.

2) When you went to City Hall, were you able to get a tour quickly? Or did they give you a timed ticket to come back later in the day?

We needed zero Swedish Krona at all. Paid for everything by Visa, including church entrance fees, etc. For public pay bathrooms, you will need 10 Krona, but there's plenty of free toilets at the various museums and sites. IMO, don't waste your time getting cash. Even the street vendors take cards, and also Euros, though change is always in SEK.

We showed up at City Hall at 11:20, and took the 11:30 tour in English. They run every hour, but today's schedule was less because of various weddings.

We needed zero Swedish Krona at all. Paid for everything by Visa, including church entrance fees, etc. For public pay bathrooms, you will need 10 Krona, but there's plenty of free toilets at the various museums and sites. IMO, don't waste your time getting cash. Even the street vendors take cards, and also Euros, though change is always in SEK.

We showed up at City Hall at 11:20, and took the 11:30 tour in English. They run every hour, but today's schedule was less because of various weddings.

Thank you.

Sure thing. Any particular types of drinks, or just any and all alcohol?

Any drink menus will do. Just trying to see what we can get with the beverage package. Thanks in advance. I appreciate it very much!

Have a wonderful trip!!! :D

Any drink menus will do. Just trying to see what we can get with the beverage package. Thanks in advance. I appreciate it very much!

Have a wonderful trip!!! :D

Thanks! We board tomorrow, so I’ll snap away.

On a side note, for those keeping score at home, today’s walking total was 10.2 miles bringing the grand total to 20.7 miles in 2 days.

On another side note, sleeping is a bit tough here, as it never really gets that dark. Even once it is dark, it’s more like dusk at home. Crazy.