This is such a silly question - pillows?

nephthys431

I have neck/head issues. I need a specific type of pillow. Some places have them, some don't. What are the pillows on the ships like? Solid foam? Smushable/movable foam? Just wondering if I need to make sure I have room in my suitcase for my pillow if I need it. Thanks!

I have neck/head issues. I need a specific type of pillow. Some places have them, some don't. What are the pillows on the ships like? Solid foam? Smushable/movable foam? Just wondering if I need to make sure I have room in my suitcase for my pillow if I need it. Thanks!
Smushable/movable foam sort of. More like feathery, but kind of full so pillow has a little support. Hope this helps! Sounds like you might need your own pillow!

I don't recall them being bad, or particularly good so they left no impression on me. I think it is that I find most pillows other than the one I have at home less comfortable so to me there is my pillow and then all the rest. None I found bad enough that I was willing to deal with packing my pillow and taking it.

Bring your own.

The age of the pillows in your particular cabin will influence performance. Be aware you can always ask your cabin steward for more pillows or to have yours replaced if they are too worn. They are not solid foam, not memory foam. If you have very specific needs, I'd recommend you bringing yours with you. Not getting a good night's sleep can definitely impact how you feel on your cruise.

Carnival used to have fantastic mattresses and pillows, but quality seems to have declined the past few years. I think Carnival has been replacing both less frequently to save money. JMHO.

New generation or next generation by harbor linen

That's amazing! How did you know that??

I looked up the Harbor Linen and I think that is exactly right. I knew they were not down pillows, but they felt a lot like a feather pillow without the weight or clumping.

They are really not bad pillows at all. But I do bring my sleep number pillow with me. It's nice, because I can let the air out and get it pretty flat for traveling.

To the OP....bring your own....that way you know you will get a good night's sleep without waking up in horrible pain the next morning. You'll kick yourself if you don't bring it and wish you had.

Carnival pillows always seem to be thick and fluffy with a lot of support. Then again, their beds and linens are excellent as well. I could also be favoring CCL merely in contrast to RCI. RCI has pillows that are so thin they would make a piece of paper jealous.

I also have neck issues (putting off surgery as long as possible!) and I have a memory foam pillow that I always use. I actually cut one in 1/2 and put in a small throw pillow case and then flattened in my suitcase. Worked great.

We just went to Europe for 2 weeks backpacking and could not carry because of weight and space. But I bought this device and I have to say it has really helped my neck issues. I only had to use 1 time during the 2 weeks there. I will now bring that on cruise instead of pillow. I know it looks and seems ridiculous but it has really helped me!

https://www.amazon.com/Cervical-Neck-Traction-Device-Registered/dp/B01F9OYUYI/ref=sr_1_26_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1531183441&sr=8-26&keywords=cervical+neck+traction+device

That's amazing! How did you know that??

I looked up the Harbor Linen and I think that is exactly right. I knew they were not down pillows, but they felt a lot like a feather pillow without the weight or clumping.

They are really not bad pillows at all. But I do bring my sleep number pillow with me. It's nice, because I can let the air out and get it pretty flat for traveling.

To the OP....bring your own....that way you know you will get a good night's sleep without waking up in horrible pain the next morning. You'll kick yourself if you don't bring it and wish you had.

Lol, I do go alot.

I have head/neck issues too. At home, I have a foam "base" pillow, then I use a travel size My Pillow to support my neck - works great for me. So the travel size pillow is also easy to tuck in a suitcase anywhere I go. Kind of the same concept as the poster who said he cut his pillow in half for travel!

Thanks everyone! My pillow is one of the squishable ones (zipperhead pillow). It's all these little chopped up foam pieces that I can mush around. I have a Chiari malformation and being able to get my pillow just right is a huge help. I'll make sure to pack it just in case. Luckily, I can smush most of the air out of it and roll it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone! My pillow is one of the squishable ones (zipperhead pillow). It's all these little chopped up foam pieces that I can mush around. I have a Chiari malformation and being able to get my pillow just right is a huge help. I'll make sure to pack it just in case. Luckily, I can smush most of the air out of it and roll it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I have a MyPillow but I can tolerate the ship's pillows fine for a week. I agree that if it's not much of a problem to bring your own then that's best.

My neck is oldest part of my body

If we go somewhere for a night or two then I bring my travel memory foam pillow

with neck curve in it.

Three nights or more, full sized one squished in suitcase.

Not a silly question.... I would have to spend my vacation on muscle relaxers.....this way I can have alcohol and my beloved neck pillow

BYOP. Lolol

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

What? Those carnival pillows are $100 for a pair? What a ripoff. I get a much better pillow for $20.

I bet you can do it ( find a better cheaper pillow ), but I tried this one at a hotel I was staying and I felt in love with it (them). I got a 12 pack of them about 1.5 years ago and split it with my sister, because they didn't have 2-packs back then, and the price for the 12 pack was reasonable. In my case, I shipped mine to my POBox in Miami, and then I  had them shipped to Costa Rica, ended up having to pay another $160 in shipping for the box..  I gave away 2 of them to a friend living here, from Canada, cause over here you can mostly find cheap $4-$8 pillows at wallmart, she loved it. 

Anyway, I just checked and they have that 4th of July promo available and it says it ends up being $84 + Free Shipping, which sounds kind of reasonable to me.

2020-06-28_11-53-18.png

Edited by latinsailor

33 minutes ago, latinsailor said:

I bet you can do it ( find a better cheaper pillow ), but I tried this one at a hotel I was staying and I felt in love with it (them). I got a 12 pack of them about 1.5 years ago and split it with my sister, because they didn't have 2-packs back then, and the price for the 12 pack was reasonable. In my case, I shipped mine to my POBox in Miami, and then I  had them shipped to Costa Rica, ended up having to pay another $160 in shipping for the box..  I gave away 2 of them to a friend living here, from Canada, cause over here you can mostly find cheap $4-$8 pillows at wallmart, she loved it. 

Anyway, I just checked and they have that 4th of July promo available and it says it ends up being $84 + Free Shipping, which sounds kind of reasonable to me.

2020-06-28_11-53-18.png

That's a steal compared to what my sleep number pillow cost me.  It was a Christmas gift a couple of years ago, but I still think the price was ridiculous!  But I do really love it.  Being able to customize it and push all the air out of it for travel is a real plus.

What a stupid comparison: "It is a steal compared to my memory foam pillow" or my gel pillow or my aero pillow..  what you paid for your SUV was also a rip-off compared to what I paid for my Hyundai SEDAN!!!, what I paid for my Adidas is a rippoff compared to your cheap Walmart tennis shoes! -- There is no comparison!! 

I really hate to evaluate products, services and places with that terminology. Is like if all these guys knew what the cost of shipment, storing/warehousing or fulfillment is for all products, so they, pseudo knowers of the truth go around telling other when someone is ripping them off or stealing from them -- LOL ..  when something is too expensive for me to buy, I simply say nothing, I never think it is because they are trying to steal me, it is simply either not worth it for me, or too expensive for me, but in the case of these pillows, I did purchased them and have them shipped to Costa Rica and paid taxes for them, cause I wanted to so.. 

Someone was asking for The NEW GENERATION PILLOW BY HARBOR LINEN.. because they tried it and they liked it, no one asked if you think it is expensive compared to your GEL pillow.. or different than the other pillow someone gave you 2 christmas ago..  

Finally, do you see anywhere else on internet where you can buy it? The one the thread is about, the New Generation one, no the one different pillow you bought on wallmart??  -- there are only 2 companies selling them: 

Now, that I consider, is a useful answer, not coming to say my Costa Rican coffee is so rich and yours is a ripoff.. 

Edited by latinsailor

I do not like hard/huge/overstuffed pillows. From an anatomical perspective they are bad for your neck and spine alignment, but when I sleep on them I have a terrible “crick” in my neck and a miserable for several days afterward.

I have always found Carnivals pillows to be in this category. Now before anyone gets their panties in a knot, I put this opinion in the same category as Cruise food - different strokes. I have asked the steward and the hotel manager to locate me the softest and lowest volume pillow they have and God Love Eminem they’ve tried, but usually with little difference. Soooo- I always carry a sewing kit in my emergency bag and I properly open the seam on one end and remove gobs of stuffing. I place it in a plastic bag and hide it in the. Lost. I baste the seam closed. Then on the morning of disembarkation, I replace the stuffing and close it with professional, secure stitches.

I’m not saying anyone else would dream of doing this, and if we are on a short, drive to port cruise, we pack our pillows, but if it’s transatalantic, I just rip and stitch.

76 past cruises
Upcoming:
CCL Dream 8/22/2020. Western Caribbean
NCL Breakaway 1/10/2021 Western Caribbean
CCL Dream 5/16/2021 Western Caribbean
NCL Star 6/27/2021 - Scotland, Norway & Iceland