Traveling partner may back out !!!

Cruise is paid in full and now traveling partner may be backing out. What will happen ? Will they try to stick someone in my cabin and make me pay the full amount???

Depending on the fare type you booked, and whether you are past final payment due date, the answer could differ. If you are past final payment due date, you're better off not telling Carnival about the person not planning to come. Just let him/her be a no-show. If you do that, you will not be forced by Carnival to pay a likely 100% single supplement in addition to what has already been paid, and the no-show passenger will have taxes/port charges refunded to the original form of payment after sail date.

Have you past final payment due date?

Cruise is paid in full and now traveling partner may be backing out. What will happen ? Will they try to stick someone in my cabin and make me pay the full amount???

They won't stick someone in your cabin, but, if the person backing out calls Carnival to cancel,,,, Carnival does reserve the right to make you pay the 200% Single Supplement.

That's why Winddawn advises the person backing out to just not show up. They will eventually get their port taxes, fees, and any other refundable money back. They will NOT get their cruise fare back. They also cannot collect from Travel Insurance if they decide to just be a "No Show".

To be able to collect from insurance, they must officially cancel first,,,, then you are back to the 200% Single Supplement.

However, if you took out insurance also,,,,, and your traveling partner cancels out on you,,, you MAY be eligible to be reimbursed the Single Supplement.

They will never add a stranger to your cabin. That’s your cabin for whoever you are traveling with. Have you paid in full early or reached the date where it was required. If payment in full was required, the fares aren’t refundable (if they ever were). Your travel partner may or may not be able to get a partial refund at this point but you’ll be stuck paying the remainder of the fare. Personally, I would tell the travel partner that it’s too late for a refund and they can either leave it how it is and simply lose the money or sell their spot to a common friend that you are ok traveling with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it’s past final payment then there’s no reason for them to call Carnival. They won’t get their money back but they will be refunded the port taxes and fees. It’s not much but at least it’s something. You could print up a copy of the contract showing them that they won’t be refunded so maybe they won’t try and call. If there’s no call to carnival and they’re a no show then you won’t owe anything. You could find a friend to fill their spot but I think there’s a name change fee. Good luck.

Cruise is past final payment. Hopefully if they do back out, they will just no-show.

Since you're past final payment due date, the other passenger has nothing to gain by notifying Carnival. That person will get back their taxes/port charges either way, and assuming those fees were paid on their own form of payment, it will go back to their card. You however are subject to the single supplement if the other person notifies Carnival in advance. If the other passenger does not notify Carnival, you should be good to go without additional concerns as long as you treat them as a no-show on embarkation day. I speak from personal experience.

Since you're past final payment due date, the other passenger has nothing to gain by notifying Carnival. That person will get back their taxes/port charges either way, and assuming those fees were paid on their own form of payment, it will go back to their card. You however are subject to the single supplement if the other person notifies Carnival in advance. If the other passenger does not notify Carnival, you should be good to go without additional concerns as long as you treat them as a no-show on embarkation day. I speak from personal experience.

That is not necessarily true. How far past final payment? If there is more than 14 days currently before sailing, they can get some money back, besides the taxes and fees.

That is not necessarily true. How far past final payment? If there is more than 14 days currently before sailing, they can get some money back, besides the taxes and fees.

They may be able to get some money back. But in the long run it costs more because they forfeit the cancellation penalty AND OP will now have to pay a single supplement. Cheaper for OP to pay the friend whatever carnival would have given as a refund to leave the booking as is and have the no show.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruise is past final payment. Hopefully if they do back out, they will just no-show.

Are you in communication with this person? Is this something you can discuss with them? Won't they tell you what they want out of this cancellation?

Since it's past final payment, the cruise line won't refund the other person's cruise cost. Only taxes & port charges as others here have stated.

It's their decision to not go on the cruise, it's a loss they have to live with. Of course, I'm sure 'they' feel otherwise.

Are you in communication with this person? Is this something you can discuss with them? Won't they tell you what they want out of this cancellation?

Since it's past final payment, the cruise line won't refund the other person's cruise cost. Only taxes & port charges as others here have stated.

It's their decision to not go on the cruise, it's a loss they have to live with. Of course, I'm sure 'they' feel otherwise.

from final payment date until 56 days prior to sailing all they would lose is their deposit.

from day 55 to day 30 prior to cruise they would lose 50% of their fare.

from day 29 to day 15 prior to their cruise they'd lose 75% of their fare.

from day 14 to the day of sailing no refund except for port taxes/govt fees.

Bill

You said it's paid in full. If your traveling partner paid the amount, than they loose the money. If you paid it, than that becomes the number one mistake of many people. Paying for someone, and not showing their appreciation. Either way, the trip is paid, so enjoy it.

You said it's paid in full. If your traveling partner paid the amount, than they loose the money. If you paid it, than that becomes the number one mistake of many people. Paying for someone, and not showing their appreciation. Either way, the trip is paid, so enjoy it.

at this point in time they only stand to "lose" 50% of the fare so they still have some skin in the game.

Bill

• 3 months later...