Noordam Naming Ceremony

JimandStan

Thank you Blue Whale and Ruth C. You are both right. We have traveled on so many other Lines and as a result our 100+ days on 10 Holland America cruises probably pales next to many of those who are attending that have been contributing to these threads in connection with our Maiden Voyage. I know that there are many who have over 500 days and probably 5 times the number of cruises that will be on this maiden cruise. We will certainly enjoy hearing all about their experiences from all around the world at the CC get-together and throughout the cruise.

I just hate that we will miss even one second of the festivities. There has been such a low key prelude to the event that it seemed like such a special sendoff. It will be special and there will be PLENTY to eat. That is a certainty. So it is no crisis....and it does make more room for some of those who will not be doing the maiden voyage. That is only fair. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Just spoke to the "Noordam Festivities Dept" and, from what they are telling me:

• The "Naming Ceremony" Invitations must be RSVP'd by either phone or email (the pertinent response info is printed on the invitation itself).

• "Naming Ceremony" guests, who are sailing on the Inaugural, must be listed on a special "Manifest"

• Each guest is responsible for making certain that they are listed in the "manifest" if they are sailing. Confirm that you are listed on the manifest when you RSVP!

• "Naming Ceremony" guests who are listed on the manifest, will board through a seperate gangway, and will complete normal check in procedures before touring the ship.

The Naming ceremony is not expected to end until after all of the staterooms are cleared, so, after the ceremony, guests may retire to their rooms.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion......

I honestly don't mean to sound like a wet blanket, but all this sounds to me like a horrendous mess and complete confusion!

I think if I weren't included in the festivities, I'd get to the docks as late as possible. Still wish I'd be there with you all, but just as glad not to be a part of the mass confusion that's bound to unfold!!!:o

Clearly, HAL is having to limit the attendance at the ceremony because it is in-doors in the Vista Lounge.

Sadly, it means that there are two kinds of guests for the inaugural: those who are invited to the ceremony and those who are not. Unlike previous dedication/naming ceremonies, it will not be open to the public.

Thanks to the kindness of one of our fellow CCers I will be able to board for the Dedication Luncheon, but I'm not sure if this means that this CCer and I are on the manifest to attend the ceremony. And, frankly, I feel that these arrangements stinks. All those on the inaugural cruise should be invited to participate in the ceremony.

Greg, aren't there about 2000 on this cruise give or take a few? How could they possibly include everyone PLUS the VIPs who are not even going on the cruise?

I just don't see how HAL could be expected to include everyone in the ceremony. It's just not realistic.

Just as there are sundry events that take place onboard any cruise that all of us are not invited to, this is the same thing. How about all the people with a gizillion days on HAL who aren't invited simply because they don't live in the NYC area? They're offended as well and you could say that's not fair. Maybe they would have liked to combine the event with a trip to NYC! But they didn't even get that opportunity.

There's just not enough room for everyone who would like to be included. It seems to me HAL is doing the best that they can. JMO.:)

I agree with Rev Neal. I think if you paid to be on this cruise you should be included. If they wanted to invite past passengers that's fine. Perhaps they should have been invited them on the two days prior to sailing. I will be traveling from Cape May Nj. by bus on the 22nd. The group coming from my restaurant is 23 people. I guess we just get to stand around outside till the V.I.P.S are done. This probably could have been handled better.

Greg, aren't there about 2000 on this cruise give or take a few? How could they possibly include everyone PLUS the VIPs who are not even going on the cruise?

I just don't see how HAL could be expected to include everyone in the ceremony. It's just not realistic.

Heather, I don't disagree with regard to trying to squeeze all 1800+ passengers PLUS non-cruising VIP guests into the Vista Lounge. That's impossible. But they don't HAVE to hold it in the Vista Lounge. They should have made clear provision for holding it out-of-doors, on the Pier, like other dedication ceremonies have been done. True, it may well be cold, but that's the price one pays for coming to such a ceremony.

I had originally been informed by my contacts at HAL that all passengers would be included in these events. Apparently not.

Here is what I was originally told by someone highly placed within HAL:

Again, if past history is any indication, all guests on the inaugural voyage will be present when the dedication ceremony takes place as long as they have shown up for embarkation. I believe the dedication luncheon is for certain friends of the cruise line who are not sailing. So since you will be aboard anyway, there is no need for the invitations. You are a part of the ceremony.

That is what I was told several weeks back, when I first inquired about the Luncheons. It would now appear that there is more in-play than even this above individual realized. Of course, he was not directly responsible for the details of the dedication ceremony, but one would think that HAL would keep all of their executive staff up-to-date on their planning for such an important, public event.

Since those of us who are on the maiden voyage are actually ON the maiden voyage, I suppose it is true that we ARE a part of the ceremony. However, clearly, as the arrangements currently stand, most of us won't be able to be AT the ceremony. We'll have to watch it on TV monitors, and on re-run. I'm sure they'll put it on the "Cruise Memories DVD."

I do see what you're saying, Greg. Clearly there is some miscommunication going on. Since they've done this all before, I would think they would have planned it better.

It might have been wise not to choose February in NYC, but what do I know:o ? Maybe you'll all get a lucky break, but there's nothing like a cold nasty day in NY in February ... you would not want to be outside by that river. I know because I lived near the river on the West side for 20 years.

It's all too bad and I hope it doesn't leave a lot of people upset when it's all supposed to be such a happy, exciting experience.

Maybe you'll all get a lucky break, but there's nothing like a cold nasty day in NY in February ... you would not want to be outside by that river. I know because I lived near the river on the West side for 20 years.

It can't be worse than the Moskva river in Feb. :)

So many people seem to be afraid that I'm going to be cold. They don't understand that I walk around in 50 degree weather in short-sleve shorts and slacks ... no jacket. I LIKE cold weather. 15-20 degrees is LOVELY. Give me a nice coat and I'm happy.

Heather, I don't disagree with regard to trying to squeeze all 1800+ passengers PLUS non-cruising VIP guests into the Vista Lounge. That's impossible. But they don't HAVE to hold it in the Vista Lounge. They should have made clear provision for holding it out-of-doors, on the Pier, like other dedication ceremonies have been done. True, it may well be cold, but that's the price one pays for coming to such a ceremony.

I had originally been informed by my contacts at HAL that all passengers would be included in these events. Apparently not.

Rev Neal,

The best place for the ceremony IS inside the Vista lounge! When PRINSENDAM was christened in New York a few years ago the small group that sat outside on the pier... in beautiful weather, was about 30 to 50. The reason? There is simply no space out on the pier landing to hold more than that so for NOORDAM, even if the weather was good, no more than 30 to 50 would be out on the landing. Of course passengers could stand out on their balcony... if they have one... on the side close to the pier and not too far aft to see anything anyway.

No matter when or where the ceremony is being held, there will never be enough space for all 1,950 passengers... with or without VIP guests. Some will be very disappointed. Even if the ceremony were to take place outside in mid summer, not many would be accommodated. Space outside on the pier is very limited. It is impossible to see anything from inside the pier and from the car park above, there just isn't enough space for everyone to look over the side onto the ship.

The real thrill for us will not be watching a bottle of champers smash against the hull but will come when later that afternoon when, with three long blasts on the whistle, NOORDAM will back out into the North River and turn her bows downstream as she heads out to sea. Because then, no matter how much a VIP somone may be, unless they are a PASSENGER, they don't get to sail!!!!

Stephen

The real thrill for us will not be watching a bottle of champers smash against the hull but will come when later that afternoon when, with three long blasts on the whistle, NOORDAM will back out into the North River and turn her bows downstream as she heads out to sea. Because then, no matter how much a VIP somone may be, unless they are a PASSENGER, they don't get to sail!!!!

Stephen

Bravo! Captain Card has expressed my feelings exactly!

What an eloquent way of putting it! Something for everyone to remember, eh?

Stephen

And this is on of the reasons he deserves the name of Captain Card!;)

Stephen

Aaaaaah, Stephen. That is absolutely beautiful. You could not be more right and I hope everyone who is so upset about this will read that phrase which is why I'm quoting it again.

The real winners in all of this are all of you who can stand on that deck, pass the magnificent skyline of NYC (I never tire of that), pass our great Statue of Liberty, and sail beneath the Verrazano Bridge.

All of you fortunate enough to be there for that and sail on this wonderful maiden voyage are really the luckiest of all. I envy you all and can't wait to hear all about it when you all return .... fat and happy:D

All of you fortunate enough to be there for that and sail on this wonderful maiden voyage are really the luckiest of all. I envy you all and can't wait to hear all about it when you all return .... fat and happy:D

That's what they said on the TITANIC!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

This will be my 12th maiden voyage........

BERMUDIAN 1969

NORDIC CLANSMAN 1973

LOCH LOMOND 1975

TOPSHAM 1987

ROYAL M 1998

FAITHFUL 1990

TARA II 1991

STATENDAM 1993

MAASDAM 1993

RYNDAM 1994

VEENDAM 1996

NOORDAM 2006

But please note..... BERMUDIAN, TOPSHAM, ROYAL M and TARA II were all the same ship... just different owners and different names! On BERMUDIAN I was Deck Boy but on the last three voyages in her I was Master.

I wonder how many CCers remember the BERMUDIAN 1969 to 1987? She was the tug/tender that tendered to the old ROTTERDAM every Thursday in Bermuda during the summer months?

Stephen

NOORDAM 2006

But please note..... BERMUDIAN, TOPSHAM, ROYAL M and TARA II were all the same ship... just different owners and different names! On BERMUDIAN I was Deck Boy but on the last three voyages in her I was Master.

Stephen

Oops... not thinking this morning. TARA II was the former CALSHOT... and a sistership of the BERMUDIAN/TOIPSHAM/ROYAL M.

Stephen

Captain Card,

Thinking about the Bermudian got me to thinking of the Queen of Bermuda & Ocean Monarch.

Is there anyplace, stateside, where I can order your wonderful "Queen of Bermuda and the Furness Bermuda Line" ?

I've mislayed my copy.

Thanks-

Jim

OK kids - I see you've been busy while I've been out shopping...

;)

Here's what our Noordam Shipservices coordinator, Arica, says about this:

"Unfortunately the Mariners brunch is completely full. You will be able to view the ceremonies in the public rooms and on video. Embarkation is at 11:30am in NY. We would love to accommodate everyone’s request however it just isn’t possible. You can still be a part of it since you are sailing on the ship that day this is the good news!"

Greg--

You can wander the decks in your skivvies when it's 30 degrees out all you want...

...God invented Wool and Central Heating for the rest of us!

;) :D

Archived