Amsterdam Lanai vs Neptune Suite

teacherman

We are considering a long voyage on the Amsterdam. From looking at the pictures on the web site, it looks as though a lanai room has almost as much space as a Neptune Suite. Could some of you who have had experience staying in these type cabins on this ship comment on what you think of them. The cost difference between the 2 is quite substantial. Is it worth it in terms of comfort or perks? Thank you.

In no way, shape, or form is a Lanai cabin on the Amsterdam the same size as a Neptune Suite on that ship. It's less than half the size.

The Lanai cabins were formerly outside cabins that have been converted to lanai, and they were smaller than the outsides on the two lower decks even then.

The lanai will have little drawer space, with drawers under the beds, and small ones in the nightstands. There will be no drawers in the desk. There may be some in the closet under the shelving, as that is the new design; I don't know for certain, though.

There will be fewer closets than a Neptune, too.

For a long cruise I would find a Neptune much more comfortable. If that was too rich for my blood, I would prefer the storage space in an outside for a long cruise.

We are considering a long voyage on the Amsterdam. From looking at the pictures on the web site, it looks as though a lanai room has almost as much space as a Neptune Suite. Could some of you who have had experience staying in these type cabins on this ship comment on what you think of them. The cost difference between the 2 is quite substantial. Is it worth it in terms of comfort or perks? Thank you.

If you look closely at the deck plans of 6 and 7, you will see that there are 48 Vista cabins on one side of deck 6 while 24 Neptune cabins on deck 7 take up the same area, so Vistas are about 1/2 the size of a Neptune. Now, the Lanai cabins are formally Outside cabins which have been converted to provide direct access to the outside public deck and they are basically the same size of a Vista, or a bit smaller.

This situation is readily apparent when you look carefully at the outside of the ship and see how the posts of these categories "line up" (2 in the space of one Neptune).

I have no idea where you were looking at the cabins.

They are waaaaay different. The Neptune Suites are much larger!!

The Neptune Suites have a very nice large balcony. On a long cruise that would be a great place to sit out and watch the world go by on sea days.

You also get to have breakfast (for free) in either the Pinnacle Grill or the upper level of the dining room -- nice and quiet.

I personally would only choose a lanai cabin if I were traveling solo. They are small. I would find for two to be very cramped, particularly for a long cruise. But they would be ideal for a solo - great way to interact with others walking around the deck and be part of life on the ship. Neptune for a long cruise would be ideal.

There are very good pictures of the lanai cabins here. They are not from the Amsterdam but a similar ship. To see some pictures of a Neptune Suite google "7003 - Amsterdam". Choose the result that says "7003 - Amsterdam | HAL Cruiser Information" and you will get a number of pictures.

Oh dear!! NO NO NO! Lanai cabins are TINY!! If you can do the suite OMG there is NO comparison!! Go for the Neptune Suite !!!

Having said that and gotten the panic off my chest... lanais are wonderful, lovely, terrific... and a lot cheaper than the Neptune Suite...

Okay, coming back to add a little more. I noticed you said a "long" voyage on Amsterdam, so again I beseech you to take the Neptune Suite!! There are no "perks" to the lanai except the door to the wrap around deck, but with the Neptune you will have a lovely large private balcony!! The differences are absolutely stark - with the Neptune being top of the line, and the lanai being just a tiny step up from an inside cabin (IMO). I have been in both, and would hands down, especially for a long cruise, take the suite!! It's 3 or 4 times the size, and better in every way, by a lot!

I organized a cabin crawl on our Rotterdam, a sister ship.

I saw Lanai, Vista and Neptune. Lanai was the smallest, Vista was larger (after seeing both, I was happy we picked the Vista) and Neptune was the largest by far.

Vista square footage is more like a balcony class on other lines. Vista has that nice set of shelves for the no host minibar, and more desk.*/

DH always wants more square footage in larger cabins. Those long narrow Vista suites mean you're always bumping into each other. Not enough room to move past each other. Someone has to back up.

...the lanai being just a tiny step up from an inside cabin (IMO).

I see it as just the opposite---the inside across the passageway from the lanai is preferable (to me). It is larger, has a lot more storage space, and has a larger vanity at the sink.

It really isn't that far to walk to the same 'balcony', either.

I see it as just the opposite---the inside across the passageway from the lanai is preferable (to me). It is larger, has a lot more storage space, and has a larger vanity at the sink.

It really isn't that far to walk to the same 'balcony', either.

I hear ya' Ruth. For me, the lanai is a step up because of the direct access to the deck. But all said and done, it's just a tiny little cabin.... :)

I've stayed in a lanai more than once, and while I liked the easy access to the outside, it is a bit cramped and no way as big as a Neptune suite. For a long cruise, the suite has to be a better choice. IMHO.

We have enjoyed being in Neptune suites twice. Once on the Maasdam for our 14 day Alaska cruise and the other was on the Westerdam for the 14 day Panama Canal transit. The experience was Wonderful! I highly recommend it.

You can see pictures of both in the links below my signature.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app