Work Email on the Ship? Which Package

I am looking at the wifi packages and am confused. Can you both send *and* receive emails with the Value Plan? I am teaching an online college course and need to respond to students. I don't get a LOT of emails typically, but it is a 5 day cruise so... I feel professionally responsible. Just don't want to get one that doesn't work or overbuy either.

Any advice on which package to both send and receive emails?

Get the highest package and look for the WiFi repeaters all over the ship. A crew member can point them out to you.. They’re either round or square. Best to access those in a low traffic area. We’ve discovered the higher the plan, the better the WiFi

Right...I understand that. I am just asking about email only. I don't need facebook or other internet. Just wondering if the value plan is any good to SEND emails not just receive them.

Even with 0 internet packages I have had a few emails sneak in (probably when the WiFi is recycling)... but wasn't sure if the cheaper package would be ok. Difference is about $50...

In all my reading here for a year I have never heard anyone say the premium package makes a difference. I had value on liberty earlier in the year for work email. It worked but barely. I would receive but sometimes couldn't open an email till later in the day. It seemed to send my messages just fine. I would suggest that before you leave you tell your students to please send bare bones emails with no attachments, stationary. Or signatures. That will help. But expect to be frustrated.

Can you both send *and* receive emails with the Value Plan?

Yes, The Value plan will send and receive emails.

If the emails simple contain text, the Value plan is sufficient. If the emails contain large attachments to be downloaded, it will be slow.

My husband used his for work quite a bit on our Magic cruise last May. He found that to get anything done (emails in and out), he really had to get up about 4 or 5 am and go to the Lido deck. As soon as the masses got up, it got too frustrating. He did send and receive good size emails. He got very frustrated at times. It seems the Magic was much more frustrating that our cruise last December on RC Oasis of the Seas.

We go on the Miracle in September and sure hope it works better then.

For those using it for work, is it encrypted? My employer would require that it be secure. We have a policy against using "open" WIFI (such as Panera, Starbucks, etc.). I also just read VPN is not supported. Makes me feel these are not secure connections.

Thanks All. Traveling on the Conquest next week. I will get the Value plan and communicate with students that I have bare bones email.

I was on Conquest for the 6/25 sailing - purchased premium 2 of our 5 days. Very, very slow the first day I purchased and completely useless the second - none of my work emails would download to my iPhone. Wish I had gone to customer service for a refund on 2nd day - completely not worth the $25 charge. I was better off connecting to cellular networks and free WiFi while in port. Others have commented WiFi on Conquest is as bad as dial up and I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks All. Traveling on the Conquest next week. I will get the Value plan and communicate with students that I have bare bones email.

If you find that the value package is not good enough you can upgrade once on board. You can choose a prorated remainder of the cruise upgrade or just be selective and upgrade per diem as needed.