Is RCCL still stopping at labadee with all the rioting going on in port-au-prince??

Back in 1967 (yeah, I’m old) there was rioting in two nearby towns each about a half hour’s drive from my house. People were killed and the national guard was called in. Never felt threatened. I had a summer job working for the county Registrar in the courthouse. Every morning there would be prisoners in chains brought in. Never felt threatened.

You don't mention where this happened but by the mere fact prisoners appeared each morning it tells me law enforcement was efficient and probably eventually quelled the problem

It's all subject to where the rioting occurs and you know that...

Rioting in Haiti is a lot different that rioting in Chicago or Baltimore

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Back in 1967 (yeah, I’m old) there was rioting in two nearby towns each about a half hour’s drive from my house. People were killed and the national guard was called in. Never felt threatened. I had a summer job working for the county Registrar in the courthouse. Every morning there would be prisoners in chains brought in. Never felt threatened.

Sounds like the guard was able to quash the uprising and keep the populace feeling secure. As they should.

No why? Are there resorts that won't let guests leave their property?

While resorts in most places won’t stop guests from leaving their property, many will highly discourage guests from doing so and will “recommend” that they stay inside the resort walls. If you’ve been to resorts in Jamaica, Dominican Republic, and some Central American countries, chances are that you’ve come across this at some point in time. You’ll see some resorts with concrete walls and prison style barbwire along their perimeters. It’s not there for decoration or because it’s safe to leave these resorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are barb wire fences around Labadee and guards with automatic weapons to give you illusion Haiti is a place you'd actually want to visit. I think they'll be able to keep the rioters at bay.

Funny thing is not much different then Port Everglades. In December was riding in a Van from Hotel to our ship. There was 2 families with me, one from Norway and another from over there. First thing they saw was security, Sheriffs and Coast Guard. They got real nervous, asked me if something happened as they were armed with M4's, AR15's and an M60 machine gun. Took me few minutes to explain was everyday thing around ports and high profile sites here in the USA...

So, this begs the question should RCI continue to use it's Labadee private location or think about another island like Coco Cay to develop? Hati is not by any stretch a safe country. RCI's Labadee location is protected by a fence and on the other side of that fence is abject poverty,desperation, and a government so corrupt that it could care less about the welfare of it's people. This is a question of safety for RCI guests and not a discussion on the people of Haiti who I'm sure are very good people. So try to keep to the topic.

Like I said this is nothing new with Haiti/Labadee. Royal has had to watch similar issues here multiple times in last 30yrs and US Military has been there many times over last 100yrs. At times they stopped cruise ships going there, other times they still go. So if they feel might be an issue, they won't...

So, evidently no one here knows how to look at a MAP!

Crime is a problem in Chicago. So I would DEFINITELY be worried about my weekend plans in St. Paul, Minnesota!

Hey hey hey. Keep Chicago out of this; the last thing we need is to be associated with some Caribbean riots.

Personally I'd love labadee to be replaced with key west. Doubt I'll get my wish though.

Key West is one of our favorite ports that makes any itinerary more desirable. Unfortunately, these days it’s hard to find on Royal. We chose an Empress cruise to Cuba mainly because Key West is included. Wish Royal would bring back more cruises that stop there. :(

As for Labadee, I receive daily travel alerts from the US Government. Haiti is still listed as Level 4, and not just specifically Port Au Prince, Cap Haiti is mentioned as well.

• 1 month later...