Solstice Alaska Questions

carlsbadguy

ON the Solstice August 17 in a Concierge Cabin and had some questions.

What is a good time to arrive? Will be flying in the night before and don't want to get there so early there is a long line but so late to be rushed?

Anyone in a Concierge Cabin remembers what was served for the debarkation lunch and also were you able to hot hotr dishes for in-room breakfast?

Does anyone have pictures of the menus?

Were discounts offered for any of the specialty restaurants during the cruise?

DId anyone do the cruise tour to Butchart Gardens in Victoia and do you think you had enough time? What other activities did people do in Victoria?

Has anyone used the Seattle Luggage service for Southwest Airlines? When did you get the form or did you need to ask. Was there a time frame the flight had to leave during? I have a 4:45 PM flight. What time do they pick up the luggage?

Favorite Meal/Ship Activity/Excursion?

Thnaks

We were on the Solstice a few weeks ago.

We arrived at the terminal about 10:30 and it looked like chaos as the RCL was boarding the same time BUT checkin was a breeze and took minutes and we boarded after just a short wait. On by 11:15.

We were Aqua class and enjoyed eating in Blu so I didn't take much notice of the speciality restaurants so can't comment on them.

Also our flights were international so we couldn't use the luggage service.

Best excursion by far was :

TA01 - Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer. You leave the Solstice onto a smaller boat on entering the Fjord and get much closer to the Glacier and then spend more time there. You catch up with the Solstice back at Juneau.

We did the tour to Butchart Gardens in early September. Did we have enough time? For us garden fanatics, no. It got dark so early we had to really rush through compared to the time we would have liked to take. Once it got dark, you can still stroll through part of the gardens which is very pretty but you can't really see everything. If you are garden fanatics and have never been there and may never come back with more time, then I would say go for it. They are fantastic!

I used the Luggage Valet in June off the Solstice. The form was on our bed on day 2. If it isn't there go to Guest Relations and ask because they need several days to process the information with the airlines. I was so impressed with how well it worked! Our flight was at 11:20 AM. I can't remember what time the end was. But if they want you to see Seattle, then it must be later. My kids got their tags and boarding passes around 11 the day before departing. I was on Southwest and didn't get my tags until 7:00 PM. Since the bags had to be out at 10:00 PM we didn't go off ship so we could process them. (That was okay this time because we were babysitting the grandkids and that always beats touring!). I was skeptical, but delighted when they came off the belt after a long trip and transfer! I understand they have this same service in Florida for both MIA and FLL only they charge for it. At our age, we would pay to use it! Have a great trip.

ON the Solstice August 17 in a Concierge Cabin and had some questions.

What is a good time to arrive?

:)

I arrived at a Sea-Tac hotel the day before, used a shuttle service to the port, arriving 10:15am. Concierge embark was fast, 20 min. at most. MDR Concierge lunch is well worth attending (skip the crowds), food's a great intro to a great cruise. Very clean ship, excellent staff, great accommodations. I got excellent assistance from Concierge desk several times, top notch staff! For me, because of easy on/easy off ship, concierge worth xtra $$. Getting off the ship, we were grouped in a restaurant with continental breakfast, not crowded at all, and near the gangplank! Soooo easy.

Anyone in a Concierge Cabin remembers what was served for the embarkation lunch

MDR Concierge lunch's a treat; there were 4-5 entrees; I remember short ribs, a pasta dish, a vegetarian, and broiled salmon; also soup, salad and several desserts. I had Salmon, Caesar salad, and cheese cake, everyone said their meals were good, especially the short ribs.

were you able to get hot dishes for in-room breakfast?

Yes, I had eggs Benedict w/American bacon, potatoes and coffee on balcony 1st morning at sea. Heavenly. My room steward, Shawn, offered to arrange Eggs Ben every morning in room if I wanted. Instead of the canapes, we settled on kiwi every afternoon. (There's a small fridge in the room.)

Does anyone have pictures of the menus?

Preview...MDR DINNER MENU (changed daily, but always these STARTERS: Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, Fr. onion soup, escargot. And always these ENTREES: Broiled Salmon, Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled N.Y. Sirloin Steak). I didn't capture* any dessert menus, but you could always get cheese cake - love it, had it every day. All food portions were petite, perfect for me, but you could ask for two starters or entrees, or...whatever you want, they were very accommodating, especially for restricted diets. Oh, best Bloody Mary's ever.

* I have 6 dinner, 1 breakfast, 1 lunch menu on my iPhone. Tell me how to post, give directions for a dummy, and I will try. (or, if you have a "throw-away" email address and post it in a reply, I can email you. :)

Were discounts offered for any of the specialty restaurants during the cruise?

Discounts were offered in Sept. '17. I was very happy with MDR for dinner (looked at dinner buffet, nah, went back to MDR and ate there or in cabin). But the buffet for breakfast, yum. Eggs Benedict made to order, w/American bacon, loved the bangers, back for other choices. I stopped at al Bacio for specialty coffee prior to buffet, almost always found a window table in the buffet restaurant, no lines...good times. When not on an excursion, lunch was MDR, once in buffet; I heard burgers in Mast Grill were good.

Favorite Meal/Ship Activity/Excursion?

FOOD: Beef Tournedo, and Short Ribs; when I wasn't in mood of daily choices, Salmon was great. Al Bacio was my home away from home, evening African Solstice (Rooibos) hot tea taken to my balcony with cookies before bed, twice daily latte w/shot of Kahlua, yummy free cookies and pastries.

EXCURSIONS: Well worth every penny, Island Wings float plane in Ketchikan - spectacular scenery!

Harv & Marv whale watching in Juneau, saw lots of tail. I have to go back, couldn't go to Skagway due to mudslide, was scheduled for Skagway Helicopter/glacier walk, booked thru Celebrity - I hear it is the best excursion. FREE: the outstanding scenery; memorable was up early for Fjords glacier view from my balcony, tremendous. I spent a lot of time on my large aft balcony, and the binoculars in the room, and umbrella, very nice touch. Had balcony dinner 1st night, Tournedos of Beef, impressed it arrived hot; easily the best meal of the cruise (wish I'd ordered for two, LOL). Oh, you may know this, I didn't...invitations are often left outside the door by the cabin #...I missed the first one (guess I'm not very observant), I thought they'd all be on the bed or counter. Another Concierge perk, an invite to a sail-away from port, with captain/crew, on the helipad (may still be done).

Edited by aVacation4me

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off Solstice yesterday. Our favorite excursion was the Coastal Wildlife Cruise. There were only 12 people on board and we were able to get far up into the coves and shoreline to see humpback whales, eagles, harbor seals, black tailed deer, river otters. No bear sightings. The captain Mike and tour guide Tye were so personable and knowledgeable! Our other favorite was the Island Wings and Taku Lodge and Salmon Bake. We took a float plane and flew over to Juneau ice fields and had late salmon lunch at the Taku lodge. Lois the bear even made her appearance! Beautiful surroundings and a great staff greeted us and made our stay very

enjoyable.

We used the Luggage Valet service and would highly recommend using it! We had American Airlines flight at 12:30 pm. Our paperwork was in our cabins on the second day and had to be turned in on Monday. The luggage tags and boarding passes were delivered to our stateroom on Wednesday. Arrived in Miami and the bags were there, no problems at all.

We were also Concierge class and had the lunch in the MDR on embarkation day. We arrived at 10:30 and were on board by 10:50. It was fast and easy! There was a small menu that included salmon, a chicken dish, short ribs a pasta dish and vegetarian dish. Yes, you can have a hot breakfast for room service, but I would say it was lukewarm upon arrival. They do offer discounts for specialty dining for embarkation day( not sure of the percentage off).

The earliest flight was 11:00 am. Lmited to about 6 airlines (United, Air Alaska, Delta, Southwest, American and ???). I don't recall the latest flight time, but the idea of the service isto allow people to go see the city, so it can't be too early. We loved the service. Although with Southwest, the bag tags did not come until about 7:00 PM the last night. Bags were put out the night before, by 10:00 or 11:00 PM.

Do not miss Brent Nixon, the naturalist on board. He gives lectures every day whic are repeated on the TV, very interesting. Also, he gives a running narration over the PA while you are heading up the Fjord.

Also, someone mentioned the Tracey Arm Fjord And glacier explorer excursion. Best excursion we’ve taken.

Is a winter jacket needed for August in Alaska?

We went last August 25-September 1 and we didn't need one. We did, however, need rain jackets/windbreakers. We got ours at Dick's SPorting goods. Northface was the brand. They worked great!

The temps were mid 50s-70 degrees during the day. Juneau did get a little chilly as we were on the water whale watching until almost dark, but that was the only time I felt chilly. It was 38 degrees on the water and we were going 45 MPH so I think that is why.