cases of wine, Carried or checked.

TheRabbit

Here is a summary of what cruisers have posted here.

1) Wine can be checked as luggage. Put copies of the luggage tags for princess on each box.

2) Pack wine in six pack packages that have the Styrofoam protectors.

3) You will more than likely get a call to go down to the wine processing table. (We all call this by names similar to the naughty corner, Jail, the "sin" room, etc.)

4) After wine corkage is paid and bottles tagged, wine will be delivered to the room. Not sure yet if we have to be there to receive it, if they leave it outside the door, or if security places it in the room.

5) The wine can be then be brought to dinner, and waiter will serve it at your table and store for the next night.

If you see anything incorrect in my summary please let me know. Also if you know what method is used for leaving the wine at the cabin, I would like to update this area.

Thanks to everyone who helped out, and thank you to everyone else for not coming in and snarking!:eek:

I still do not have an answer to how the wine is brought back to the room after paying the corkage.

Do they follow you with a hand truck and the wine, or do they drop it off at the room? If they drop it off at the room, do they leave it in the hall or put it in your room?

I'd point out that another reason to bring your own wine, is that I've yet to see Princess serve a bottle properly chilled. I stand to be corrected, but even in the Crown Grill, the bottles are served at room temperature unless you cajole your waiter. Warm wine dramatically dumbs down the complexity and taste of a good wine. While I'm complaining about the blatant disregard for decent wine service, the stemware, unless you ask, is also sub par. For the $15 corkage you pay, you should automatically be given a decent glass, there a good glasses that aren't as expensive as Reidel. steve

I'd point out that another reason to bring your own wine, is that I've yet to see Princess serve a bottle properly chilled. I stand to be corrected, but even in the Crown Grill, the bottles are served at room temperature unless you cajole your waiter. Warm wine dramatically dumbs down the complexity and taste of a good wine. While I'm complaining about the blatant disregard for decent wine service, the stemware, unless you ask, is also sub par. For the $15 corkage you pay, you should automatically be given a decent glass, there a good glasses that aren't as expensive as Reidel. steve

We have not experienced that. DW is a chard drinker and likes her wine chilled. As a merlot drinker, I like my cool to chilled, not iced, and can never remember being disappointed.

The only justification I need to bring my own wine on board: because I want to.

I did have one instance where after tasting a CS that I had ordered, I asked the server to immerse it in the ice bucket for a few minutes. It only happened once, though. In less than 15 minutes, it was fine.

The last time we shipped our wine as luggage I was called to the "naughty room", but as a discipline problem all of my life, I felt right at home. I was called about 2-3 hrs after boarding, but I enjoyed the respite wringing my hands. Security guards opened the box and, as I was being waterboarded, they counted the bottles and I paid "the freight", got my stickers and they delivered the case to my room. steve

Literally laughed out loud

Here is a summary of what cruisers have posted here.

1) Wine can be checked as luggage. Put copies of the luggage tags for princess on each box. It is recommended to mark the cases 1 of 3, 2 of 3, etc.

2) Pack wine in six pack packages that have the Styrofoam protectors if you are worried. Others have just used the 12 pack cases. May want to tape them up better than they come from the store.

3) You will more than likely get a call to go down to the wine processing table. (We all call this by names similar to the naughty corner, Jail, the "sin" room, etc.)

4) After wine corkage is paid in the naughty corner and bottles tagged (you optionally can take the tags and put them on the bottles as you take them to the MDR), wine will be delivered to the room. It should be delivered inside the room. Might want to verify this when in the sin room.

5) The wine can be then be brought to dinner, and waiter will serve it at your table and store for the next night. Rooms are equipped with a fridge so you can chill it to your desired temp before taking wherever you are eating dinner.

If you see anything incorrect in my summary or have something to add, please let me know.

Here is a link to a google doc if you would like to copy it to your drive.

LINK

Thanks to everyone who helped out, and thank you to everyone else for not coming in and snarking!:eek:

• 1 month later...
I don't know why I am so intrigued & drawn in by this discussion. I don't drink wine, gatorade, or bottled water. I always travel with 1 carryon & 1 personal item only, even on our last cruise which was a 27 day TA. The idea of packing a sewing machine blows my mind. But I love this discussion. I enjoy learning about travel habits different from mine. Please do post pix of all the luggage & the wine, et al. You & your DW are pretty amazing. Love your spirit, enthusiasm, & sense of humor. I bet you guys are fun.

FYI, we are up to 12 checked items now between 4 boxes of wine, case of water and a case of Gatorade, box of snacks (for time off boat in Asia), duffel bag of camera gear, 3 suitcases and the sewing machine case.

Couldn't find the post from the person that wanted to go down to the port and see the pile. We will get there about 10:15 to 10:45.

I highly recommend visiting mauiwine and trying their pineapple wine. Seriously. It was very good and if I hadn’t been told it was pineapple I wouldn’t have known. It’s on the other side of the road to Hana... if you want to drive it in reverse from Wailea. Unexpected location. Lovely place across the street that serves burgers of meat from a variety of animals raised locally and great picnic area.

Before a Seattle cruise if you’re near Pike Place Market, check out DeLaurenti Food & Wine... very helpful staff and lovely store. Be sure to go upstairs by the wine!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

FYI, we are up to 12 checked items now between 4 boxes of wine, case of water and a case of Gatorade, box of snacks (for time off boat in Asia), duffel bag of camera gear, 3 suitcases and the sewing machine case.

Couldn't find the post from the person that wanted to go down to the port and see the pile. We will get there about 10:15 to 10:45.

That was me. Unfortunately, I've had a closer look at my calendar, and it looks like I can't make it. That is the day I am rearranging my sock drawer. I could fly my drone over, but I'm pretty sure the USCG would blast it out of the sky.

Have a great cruise. We look forward to your reports,

(y)

That was me. Unfortunately, I've had a closer look at my calendar, and it looks like I can't make it. That is the day I am rearranging my sock drawer. I could fly my drone over, but I'm pretty sure the USCG would blast it out of the sky.

Have a great cruise. We look forward to your reports,

(y)

I'm glad you have more pressing things in your life.:eek: I will try and take a picture of the pile and post it.;p

A couple from our roll call checked their cases of wine and paid the corkage fee. When the cases of wine were delivered to their cabin some bottles were missing! They went to the service desk several times to either have their wine given back, replaced or refunded on the corkage fee. Just a heads up about what may occur.

A couple from our roll call checked their cases of wine and paid the corkage fee. When the cases of wine were delivered to their cabin some bottles were missing! They went to the service desk several times to either have their wine given back, replaced or refunded on the corkage fee. Just a heads up about what may occur.

Was this Princess?

We have pictures of all the bottles.

One thing to remember in a situation such as this is that it doesn't necessarily mean it was someone in the crew who "obtained" the free wine. Longshoreman could also be the person who got the bottles!

Tom

Which port was this Tom?

I have no idea at which port he was boarding. Oh, just went back and looked. He was on a Panama cruise.

I've made an assumption, very possibly erroneously, that he turned in his case/box of wine at luggage and it was delivered to the ship. I thought I had seen earlier that he had been called down to the "naught room" to claim his wine. If that were the case, then the longshoremen would have had possession of the box until it was delivered to the ship and could have gotten into the box. If he carried the box of wine onto the ship, he would have almost certainly had to stop by the alcohol desk and arranged payment of the corkage fees. In that case, however, I fail to see where anybody, longshoreman, crew, etc. would have had a chance to abscond with his wine. Am I missing something here? :confused:

Tom

I have no idea at which port he was boarding. Oh, just went back and looked. He was on a Panama cruise.

I've made an assumption, very possibly erroneously, that he turned in his case/box of wine at luggage and it was delivered to the ship. I thought I had seen earlier that he had been called down to the "naught room" to claim his wine. If that were the case, then the longshoremen would have had possession of the box until it was delivered to the ship and could have gotten into the box. If he carried the box of wine onto the ship, he would have almost certainly had to stop by the alcohol desk and arranged payment of the corkage fees. In that case, however, I fail to see where anybody, longshoreman, crew, etc. would have had a chance to abscond with his wine. Am I missing something here? :confused:

Tom

I'm leaving from LA, so the longshoremen are present. In my case with 36 bottles in 4 boxes, we are having it checked, thus getting there early so there is less traffic.

One thing to remember in a situation such as this is that it doesn't necessarily mean it was someone in the crew who "obtained" the free wine. Longshoreman could also be the person who got the bottles!

Tom

That's true, but the passenger had no way of knowing other than the full case did not make it. They paid the corkage fee so they should get that back, but the p[urser's desk was giving them a run around. I don't blame the passenger, I'd be down at the purser's making a stink myself. If you give your luggage and cases of wine to the people taking care of them, I expect to get what I gave them back.

That's true, but the passenger had no way of knowing other than the full case did not make it. They paid the corkage fee so they should get that back, but the p[urser's desk was giving them a run around. I don't blame the passenger, I'd be down at the purser's making a stink myself. If you give your luggage and cases of wine to the people taking care of them, I expect to get what I gave them back.

Yep, I agree with you, he should, to my way of thinking, get his corkage fee returned. Espeially since, it appears to me, anyway, that there is evidence as to how much he paid in corkage fees and how much wine was received on board. The "expense" of even poviding some additional reimbursement for the lost/missing wine could easily be charged off to goodwill.

Tom