cases of wine, Carried or checked.

TheRabbit

Rabbit, it sounds like you're in good shape. Slap some luggage tags on your cases and hand some spendable motivation to the porter. Then wait in your cabin for the call. Go down to the room, watch them open up your boxes, and sign the chit for the corkage fee. The best part is that, apparently, they will, then deliver your cases to your cabin, That is sweet,

I agree with previous posters who recommend that you buy the insulated shippers instead of just using boxes that you find at your local wine store. Don't mess around.

Am I correct in assuming you have a fairly large cabin? I can see where finding storage space for three cases of wine can be a problem. We usually book a standard balcony cabin. I've never taken more than a case of wine, on board. So, it is pretty easy to stash it, pretty much, out of the way, but three cases, would be more difficult.

It sounds like you are going to have a great cruise.

Have a mini. Others I have spoke with indicated to just put them on the floor of the closet. That was exactly what I had planned on doing already.

Yup. You're going to have a great cruise.

(y)

I'd like to thank everyone for their info. I will do a summery and a follow up right after we get on for IECalCruiser.

I welcome anymore first-hand info that someone has.

Here is a summary of what cruisers have posted here.

1) Wine can be checked as luggage. Put copies of the luggage tags for princess on each box.

2) Pack wine in six pack packages that have the Styrofoam protectors.

3) You will more than likely get a call to go down to the wine processing table. (We all call this by names similar to the naughty corner, Jail, the "sin" room, etc.)

4) After wine corkage is paid and bottles tagged, wine will be delivered to the room. Not sure yet if we have to be there to receive it, if they leave it outside the door, or if security places it in the room.

5) The wine can be then be brought to dinner, and waiter will serve it at your table and store for the next night.

If you see anything incorrect in my summary please let me know. Also if you know what method is used for leaving the wine at the cabin, I would like to update this area.

Thanks to everyone who helped out, and thank you to everyone else for not coming in and snarking!:eek:

Two of your 36 bottles will not be subject to immediate corkage, Rabbit. You can drink those in your cabin at your convenience at no charge. If you take them to dinner, you will be charged corkage be the server.

Two of your 36 bottles will not be subject to immediate corkage, Rabbit. You can drink those in your cabin at your convenience at no charge. If you take them to dinner, you will be charged corkage be the server.

Well aware of the 2 bottle policy. We will drink those in the room.

Here is a summary of what cruisers have posted here.

1) Wine can be checked as luggage. Put copies of the luggage tags for princess on each box.

2) Pack wine in six pack packages that have the Styrofoam protectors.

3) You will more than likely get a call to go down to the wine processing table. (We all call this by names similar to the naughty corner, Jail, the "sin" room, etc.)

4) After wine corkage is paid and bottles tagged, wine will be delivered to the room. Not sure yet if we have to be there to receive it, if they leave it outside the door, or if security places it in the room.

5) The wine can be then be brought to dinner, and waiter will serve it at your table and store for the next night.

If you see anything incorrect in my summary please let me know. Also if you know what method is used for leaving the wine at the cabin, I would like to update this area.

Thanks to everyone who helped out, and thank you to everyone else for not coming in and snarking!:eek:

We never pack wine in six pack packages that have the Styrofoam protectors. Never had a problem.

We usually bring just one case for a longer cruise. But we have done both checked in the wine as well as brought it aboard with us.

For the checked in (because we have a "wine suitcase" that is locked - I received a call from deck 4 to come down and open the case so they could check it out. They saw the 12 bottles and I had to pay the corkage fee for ten of them. Nice thing was that they handed me the stickers so I could choose which bottles got the stickers.

We have also walked it onboard with us. After security we always go to the wine checkin desk and pay the corkage for whatever.

Shouldn't be a problem or concern.:):):):):):)

We never pack wine in six pack packages that have the Styrofoam protectors. Never had a problem.

Thanks

That was how we were leaning as we toss the six pack boxes when we get them.

I assume it is in Princess's best intrest to not break the bottles.

We usually bring just one case for a longer cruise. But we have done both checked in the wine as well as brought it aboard with us.

For the checked in (because we have a "wine suitcase" that is locked - I received a call from deck 4 to come down and open the case so they could check it out. They saw the 12 bottles and I had to pay the corkage fee for ten of them. Nice thing was that they handed me the stickers so I could choose which bottles got the stickers.

We have also walked it onboard with us. After security we always go to the wine checkin desk and pay the corkage for whatever.

Shouldn't be a problem or concern.:):):):):):)

Don't think three wine suitcases will work this time, but will keep it in mind for shorter cruises.

As for picking which bottles get the stickers, we had assumed that. Thanks for confirming.

" ASSuME" - have you checked the actual terms and conditions with luggage you leave with the Porters dockside, who are NOT Princess employees?

if it was me, and it's not, it's you - there is no way I let 3 cases of good wine out of my hands and sight

" ASSuME" - have you checked the actual terms and conditions with luggage you leave with the Porters dockside, who are NOT Princess employees?

if it was me, and it's not, it's you - there is no way I let 3 cases of good wine out of my hands and sight

There are more expensive items that can be pilfered in our suit cases and have never had a problem.

More than likely the wine will be bottles we paid about 12 to 15 for after deep discounts. Thought about getting some 2 Buck Chuck boxes from Trader Joes to pack the wines in.

Also plan on providing an appropriate tip to get the packages properly handled. 10 to 20 per box might get them in the front of the line and handled with a bit more care.

In the "old days" before Princess started enforcing their charges on wine brought on board, I would take the case of wine in a normal shipping box, put the baggage tags on it and give it to the shoreside baggage check along with our other luggage. It always appeared in our stateroom later untouched. Since they started enforcing the wine charges, we always carry it on and present it at the wine table for inspection and payment. They always hand us the stickers to put on the bottles we paid the corking fee.

A couple of cruises ago DW forgot and left a bottle of wine in her checked luggage. It was in there for the flight to the port since it cannot be carried onto the airplane. Her luggage did not appear in the stateroom until just before early dinner time. It had been opened and a note placed inside that they had opened the luggage and inspected the wine. We were not charged for the corking fee on that bottle even though we had carried more bottles aboard and paid the corking fee. We always are among the first to board (have to start the party ASAP) and my luggage appeared about 2 hours after we boarded.

In the "old days" before Princess started enforcing their charges on wine brought on board, I would take the case of wine in a normal shipping box, put the baggage tags on it and give it to the shoreside baggage check along with our other luggage. It always appeared in our stateroom later untouched. Since they started enforcing the wine charges, we always carry it on and present it at the wine table for inspection and payment. They always hand us the stickers to put on the bottles we paid the corking fee.

A couple of cruises ago DW forgot and left a bottle of wine in her checked luggage. It was in there for the flight to the port since it cannot be carried onto the airplane. Her luggage did not appear in the stateroom until just before early dinner time. It had been opened and a note placed inside that they had opened the luggage and inspected the wine. We were not charged for the corking fee on that bottle even though we had carried more bottles aboard and paid the corking fee. We always are among the first to board (have to start the party ASAP) and my luggage appeared about 2 hours after we boarded.

With three cases and a boat load of electronics that I do not check, carry on is the least desirable solution. From other posters, it sounds like all I need to do is check the wine with the porter and make the corkage payment, then the wine is delivered.

Also plan on providing an appropriate tip to get the packages properly handled. 10 to 20 per box might get them in the front of the line and handled with a bit more care.

The person you give the wine and the tip to only brings the wine maybe about 50 feet after which people who do not share in the tip, longshoremen, forklift operators and also Princess employees, will be handling the boxes.

The person you give the wine and the tip to only brings the wine maybe about 50 feet after which people who do not share in the tip, longshoremen, forklift operators and also Princess employees, will be handling the boxes.

Very well stated. Back when we did check boxes of wine, I would give them an extra $5 knowing that they had a very little input in handling the box.

We have had some luggage that needed some care as far as content and it arrived first to the cabin. Main thing is to make sure the wine is not placed at the bottom of one of those 6 foot tall caged skids. The porter does have control as to how the luggage is placed there. After that, they are fork lift skids until they are on board and Princess crew moves the items to your rooms.

As for Xraying, not sure where that takes place. If outside, I am sure the porter is feeding it. As for on ship, no control. As I indicated before, it is in Princesses best interest to ensure the bottles do not break as the red wine could hurt other suitcases.

The cases of wine get handled many times in the warehouse, on trucks, and then when unloaded, and there does not seem to be a great amount of breakage.

Only 2 people, so carry on is not an option. As I indicated, one option is a fold up hand truck, but would prefer checking.

It is 60 nights. With 1 bottle every 2 nights, that is already 30 so figured 3 cases.

Always wondered how I would handle a long cruise. Consider booking another room and hiring someone to haul it onboard for you. If you save $30/bottle by bringing the wine onboard you could pay for someone's cruise and be ahead :p

Okay mr rabbit , I am getting concerned that you will be out of wine by the time we cruise with you ! What is a CA coastal with too little wine ? :)

No problem first stop on day one is Cordiano's. Should be able to restock there easily.

We have 2 full wine fridges. The possibility of running out is quite low. Add to that, the overflow pile alone should handle the week. Plus We have the full bar set up!:eek:

I don't know why I am so intrigued & drawn in by this discussion. I don't drink wine, gatorade, or bottled water. I always travel with 1 carryon & 1 personal item only, even on our last cruise which was a 27 day TA. The idea of packing a sewing machine blows my mind. But I love this discussion. I enjoy learning about travel habits different from mine. Please do post pix of all the luggage & the wine, et al. You & your DW are pretty amazing. Love your spirit, enthusiasm, & sense of humor. I bet you guys are fun.