cases of wine, Carried or checked.

TheRabbit

Are you flying down or driving for the Pac Rim? We drive to Seattle for most of our Alaskan cruises.

We are flying into LAX. I wouldn't mind driving, but don't think it makes sense to park the car for 60 days there. I am hoping that after I check in I can walk off the ship and pick up some wine before we sail.

We are flying into LAX. I wouldn't mind driving, but don't think it makes sense to park the car for 60 days there. I am hoping that after I check in I can walk off the ship and pick up some wine before we sail.

I'ld volunteer to bring a case for you, but we seem to possibly at a limit! LOL

If you are getting to the ship by private car, maybe hit a BevMo. Maybe you can pre-order and then just pick it up.

For us, we bring Nalgenes. The bottles are for the extra long tour days which we have several of.

Are you pouring bottled water into the Nalgenes? I would just take the couple of bottles of water I need for the day. We always take a backpack. If you're pouring ship's desalinated water in them, that would not work for me.

Are you pouring bottled water into the Nalgenes? I would just take the couple of bottles of water I need for the day. We always take a backpack. If you're pouring ship's desalinated water in them, that would not work for me.

Refilling from tap as we have no problem with it. The bottles are for extras on the tours.

I'ld volunteer to bring a case for you, but we seem to possibly at a limit! LOL

If you are getting to the ship by private car, maybe hit a BevMo. Maybe you can pre-order and then just pick it up.

BevMo is great. They have a $1BOGO and they will box it after you check every bottle. They also rate the BOGO wines. We pick a 4 1/2 star for $20. Never had a problem. Just bring heavy duty tape and a thick magic marker to put your cabin # all over each box. :D

OK, I'll take complete credit for suggesting Ridge Geyserville (aka, now "Geezerville") and a few Bordeaux. We just pulled 10 bottles for our up and coming Alaska cruise (SFO, to and fro') and lo' and behold, Ridge Lytton Springs made the cut, as did Phelps Insignia and several Bordeaux....not a Pinot or white wine in the bunch! But, if you're a Merlot, Chard drinker, chances are you won't go for either, esp. the zin. (If you do go for a zin, just pick one that starts with an "R" and you'll be OK.... Ridge, Ravenswood, Rosenblum, Rafanelli...you get the picture.) Since we're not bringing three cases, we'll use our trusty hard-sided carrion and stop by the gatekeeper to pay the toll.

If your wife can bring her sewing machine, I'm gonna bring my tool chest...i have several old Holley and Weber carburetors that I can rebuild en route!

steve

Edited by Cobra427SC
spelling error

We are sailing out of Seattle (flying from Texas). We are going to buy our wine in Seattle. Any recommendations?

I live about 60 miles from Seattle, so I have never shopped for wine there. However, virtually all grocery stores in Washington sell wine and spirits. There are a couple of BevMos in Seattle and a Costco, but they are not located near the cruise terminal. In fact, I don't think it is practical to walk from the cruise terminal to any medium or large supermarket. Perhaps someone who lives and shops in the city might have some more useful tips.

Actually, there is a Whole Foods less than a mile from the Smith Cove Passenger Terminal entrance. Whole Foods in California have a very good wine selection but don’t know about Seattle. I had considered stopping there before a cruise several years ago but found a place near our hotel to get a few bottles.

Note: Found a Whole Foods site that says that store does sell alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

I don’t understand why you would want to do this. Traveling allows wine experimentation. As a reader of Wine Spectator, I get to try wines I would never find at home.

This is not a wine itinerary. Stops in Alaska before Japan, China, Korea, Philipeans, Guam and then Hawaii. Not exactly great wine regions.

In the "old days" before Princess started enforcing their charges on wine brought on board, I would take the case of wine in a normal shipping box, put the baggage tags on it and give it to the shoreside baggage check along with our other luggage. It always appeared in our stateroom later untouched. Since they started enforcing the wine charges, we always carry it on and present it at the wine table for inspection and payment. They always hand us the stickers to put on the bottles we paid the corking fee.

A couple of cruises ago DW forgot and left a bottle of wine in her checked luggage. It was in there for the flight to the port since it cannot be carried onto the airplane. Her luggage did not appear in the stateroom until just before early dinner time. It had been opened and a note placed inside that they had opened the luggage and inspected the wine. We were not charged for the corking fee on that bottle even though we had carried more bottles aboard and paid the corking fee. We always are among the first to board (have to start the party ASAP) and my luggage appeared about 2 hours after we boarded.

We've had the "note" in our luggage too....they are just checking to see if it's booze or simply wine.

Yep, my DW wants to bring her sewing machine. We have about 35 days at sea and she wants to work some of her small projects. She will need to walk down to the laundry to do the ironing on the pieces as she works though. Some people here know she broke an ankle last August, and she is still hobbling, so this will be some physical therapy for her. LOL

Cruise leaves on the 19th of September. No U-haul, we have transport contracted via a large SUV, so it shouldn't look like a clown car, or at least I hope not!:eek: I'm very easy to spot as I am 6'8" so you can see me from a distance. My hearing is not so good (deaf in one ear and can hear out of the other), so you will have to yell loud to get my attention that day. "Hey Idiot!" should work.

I'm going to have to book a cruise with you sometime and let her know why she no longer gets a full suite! DW also does cards. I hope she doesn't decide to bring those tools with her also, as I believe it would take up more space than a sewing machine.

Ridge Geezerville came from someone else, and have not trried the Ridge Lytton Springs. We are mostly Chardonnay and Merlot drinkers, but we will bring some high end and desert wines. DW is the wine expert and will find the ones she wants on sale. Several have mentioned BevMo BoGos, but she typically can beat the price when she keeps her eyes open. I have seen her get them at 40% off then with volume get an additional 30%. She bought 145 bottles of wine for our wedding that way. Even though retail was 10 to 13 she spent no more than $4 each. I will try and take a picture of all the wine and post it if I remember. It will be hectic the last few days before leaving.

You mentioned "dessert wines"....got me thinking.....can I bring a bottle of Port?

This is not a wine itinerary. Stops in Alaska before Japan, China, Korea, Philipeans, Guam and then Hawaii. Not exactly great wine regions.

That’s one of the things you pay in the cruise fare, having sommeliers who can recommend good wines when you travel to not so great wine regions. Travel is an enriching experience only if you let it be.

That’s one of the things you pay in the cruise fare, having sommeliers who can recommend good wines when you travel to not so great wine regions. Travel is an enriching experience only if you let it be.

Understand what you are saying, but in our case, we like certain wines and have drank or tasted most of those on board. This way we can bring our 36 bottles of great wines that we know we will enjoy everyday during the trip.

Almost every cruise we have been on, there are wine tours to some region along the way. Even in Encinada Mexico, you can take a wine tour. However, there is none on this cruise.

Princess no longer has sommeliers on board.

On our upcoming 28 day cruise we have two ports in Hawaii, two ports in French Polynesia, one in American Samoa, and fourteen sea days before we reach New Zealand. With those “wine growing hotspots” we are bring a case and a half with us. Will probably replenish New Zealand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

Princess no longer has sommeliers on board.

On our upcoming 28 day cruise we have two ports in Hawaii, two ports in French Polynesia, one in American Samoa, and fourteen sea days before we reach New Zealand. With those “wine growing hotspots” we are bring a case and a half with us. Will probably replenish New Zealand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What types of wines do you get? We got some very nice wines that we picked up in NZ on a wine tour there.

DW uses Staters and Ralphs for most of the wine purchases. I know others have mentioned BevMo, but she can usually beat that price when there are good sales.

Last year DW won a 25 bottle package of wine worth at least $25 each from a raffle for our local Library. Still have a few of the reds and will bring those on our trip along with whatever else she picks up or finds in our wine coolers.

In addition to Stater and BevMo, we will also check out Total Wine, Costco and World Market. We find some of the best deals at World Market and Costco.

We will probably look for some Syrah and Bordeaux-style blends which are the best vines produced on Waiheke Island. Will depend on which wineries we visit on our tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

Understand what you are saying, but in our case, we like certain wines and have drank or tasted most of those on board. This way we can bring our 36 bottles of great wines that we know we will enjoy everyday during the trip.

Almost every cruise we have been on, there are wine tours to some region along the way. Even in Encinada Mexico, you can take a wine tour. However, there is none on this cruise.

Thanks for explaining.

You might want to do a bit more research on the subject.

Both China and Japan have wineries managed by French and Australian firms, turning out award-winning wines. Then there is Japanese Sake. Not wine, per se, but certainly very interesting. They export only the dreck sake labels to America. The good stuff all stays in Japan.

Best of all, there is little to zero tax or duty on alcohol in Japan and China. Great French wines there are lower priced than in France.

I fully understand your point of view, but our first port with some free time to shop for wine might be Shanghai, 30 days in. We buy wines in cruise ports for two reasons: 1, to stock up the cabin, and 2, to bring home. If my DW does not get to taste the wine, she would prefer to not buy more then one or two unless she knows the wine. (She is the wine connoisseur in the house, I just drink what she serves, and she always serves great wine.) If we can't get to a wine store, that will leave us in a lurch for the last 30 days, and if we find one, we would still have to pay the corkage (less 2).

In Japan, we have some very busy schedules and when we are in a shopping area, my wife wants to look for fabrics she can't get in the US. As for Sake, our friends have some recommendations. May actually buy some to bring home and share with them.

DW usually may have a list of some wines to look for, if they do pop up, might grab some.

Bottom line, if we do find some wine, it will come home with us.

We are sailing out of Seattle (flying from Texas). We are going to buy our wine in Seattle. Any recommendations?

Here's the info on the most convenient wine locations, at least to my way of thinking, for those coming to Pier 91. There is a Whole Foods location that is a bit further out on Elliott, but not far, but these 2 are on the direct route from the airport/downtown to Pier 91 and don't require backtracking.

There is a wine store on the right side of Elliott Ave. at 946 Elliott Ave and is called the Wine Outlet (http://www.seattlewineoutlet.net/) It is a couple of blocks before the turn off of Elliott to the pier. There is another one on the left side of the street right at the traffic light at the turn off of Elliott to the pier. That one is the Ward Johnson Winery and it's at 1445 Elliott Ave (http://www.wardjohnsonwinery.com/)

There is another wine store, Total Wine,(http://www.totalwine.com/) that opened in Oct, 2016. It is located at 1550 West Armory Way, which is about a block or so from the Whole Foods store mentioned earlier.

See map below for physical location of the stores in relation to Pier 91.

Tom

2130491956_Winesaleswitharrows.jpg.01a0fb4336d506bcacd8bcd95b789d41.jpg