Difference between mini-suite and balcony cabin?

TedL

Is there much of a difference between the mini-suite and balcony cabin? We are going on Escape in October to Bermuda and there is virtually no difference in price between the two. As a matter of fact the mini suite is only a few doors down from the cabin we've booked. TIA

On some ships the mini-suite main room is a tiny bit bigger, on others it is the same, but the big difference is the bathroom: much bigger and a large shower with 6 in addition to the showerhead. Adjustable for any pairs of jets, all or none. The control makes me feel like I am driving the ship. I could spend hours in there if there wasn't an unlimited beverage plan hanging over my head.

Assuming you are comparing a standard mini-suite with a standard balcony stateroom the overall size is 251 sq ft compared to 207 sq ft. or 21% larger. The stateroom itself in the mini-suite is 207 sq ft compared to 175 sq ft in the balcony (18% larger). The balcony will be 37% larger (44 sq ft compared to 32 sq ft). The biggest design difference is the mini-suite has a tub/shower combo instead of a standard stall shower. The mini-suites and mini-suites with a large balcony on deck 8 have one of the best locations on the ship.

Assuming you are comparing a standard mini-suite with a standard balcony stateroom the overall size is 251 sq ft compared to 207 sq ft. or 21% larger. The stateroom itself in the mini-suite is 207 sq ft compared to 175 sq ft in the balcony (18% larger). The balcony will be 37% larger (44 sq ft compared to 32 sq ft). The biggest design difference is the mini-suite has a tub/shower combo instead of a standard stall shower. The mini-suites and mini-suites with a large balcony on deck 8 have one of the best locations on the ship.

Do you need to get a family mini-suite to get a tub?

Which ship are you basing that on? I have been in minisuites twice and standard balconies twice on Breakway. The part of the cabin with beds are exactly the same size. Total interior space with bathroom is 204-207 square feet in minisuites and 172-176 in balcony cabins. The difference, 32 sq ft is all in the bathroom and extra hall length that goes with the longer bathroom - making the bathroom and hall about 4 feet longer. Balconies were the same size (31-35 sq ft) except of course the categories with large balconies line those on Decks 8 and 9 forward.

Not picking a fight please.. just wanting to figure this out. I have heard the minisuite was larger on some ships but not my experience and not according to the data here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10YW7fMQarer30UCHKqKJ_zLDmbyMTczCTtYf2XRflh8/pub?single=true&gid=0&output=html

thanks!

Which ship are you basing that on? I have been in minisuites twice and standard balconies twice on Breakway. The part of the cabin with beds are exactly the same size. Total interior space with bathroom is 204-207 square feet in minisuites and 172-176 in balcony cabins. The difference, 32 sq ft is all in the bathroom and extra hall length that goes with the longer bathroom - making the bathroom and hall about 4 feet longer. Balconies were the same size (31-35 sq ft) except of course the categories with large balconies line those on Decks 8 and 9 forward.

Not picking a fight please.. just wanting to figure this out. I have heard the minisuite was larger on some ships but not my experience and not according to the data here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10YW7fMQarer30UCHKqKJ_zLDmbyMTczCTtYf2XRflh8/pub?single=true&gid=0&output=html

thanks!

My post was in response to the question about the Escape. Your spreadsheet appears to show exactly what I said. The cabin size, listed on your spreadsheet as "interior sq. ft. (not including the balcony space) is 207 sq ft for the Mini-Suite and 175 for the standard balcony, an 18% difference. No argument.

I think, the only ship which has significantly LARGER minisuites are those found on the Sun. I've done PHs on Jewel class, aft balcony, same class and minisuite on the Sun.

The Sun minisuite was the best non-suite aft balcony I've been in. I would say it's the most comparable to a PH suite than any other balcony/minisuite in the fleet.

I think, the only ship which has significantly LARGER minisuites are those found on the Sun. I've done PHs on Jewel class, aft balcony, same class and minisuite on the Sun.

The Sun minisuite was the best non-suite aft balcony I've been in. I would say it's the most comparable to a PH suite than any other balcony/minisuite in the fleet.

I have cruised on the Sun 25 nights in the aft PH and we have seen inside the aft mini suites and aft balconies. I agree those minis are awesome and the balconies are nice too. See my avatar. The outer is PH, next are balcs and in center are

Minis. You can see nice verandahs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Jewel class ships, the mini-suite cabins are 231 sq ft and their balconies are 54 sq ft. The balcony cabins are 162 sq ft with 38 sq ft balconies. That's a 42% difference on both cabin and balcony.

On the Jewel class ships, the mini-suite cabins are 231 sq ft and their balconies are 54 sq ft. The balcony cabins are 162 sq ft with 38 sq ft balconies. That's a 42% difference on both cabin and balcony.

And have you measured those on the Sun... specifically aft minisuites?

Obviously, since the OP is cruising on the Escape the measurements you quote, nor the info I specified, apply in this case.

My apologies to the OP.

I remember reading in another thread that the minisuites on the Epic are larger than the balconies, but not by much.

There is a larger toilet stall and larger shower stall. Since there is no “bathroom” and the toilet and shower are next to the bed, by default the “room” is larger.

And have you measured those on the Sun... specifically aft minisuites?

Obviously, since the OP is cruising on the Escape the measurements you quote, nor the info I specified, apply in this case.

My apologies to the OP.

I've not measured anything, nor ever been on an NCL ship (yet). Numbers here: https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/cruiseline.php?line=Norwegian