Best port you've visited

My absolute favorite port is St. Thomas (with a trip to St. John by ferry). Second favorite - probably Sydney, Australia. Number three - Venice. Number 4 - Belize (I know most people hate this port but we take the public ferry over to Caye Caulker.) Number 5 - Barbados. I could go on but there would be a lot of islands that tie for sixth place.

When it comes to the Caribbean, I will always be partial to St. Thomas. Plenty of great beaches there. My overall favorite port so far, out of 12 cruises, is Kona, HI. It's such a nice, calm, laid-back place. There's plenty to do, but even if you don't want to go on any excursions, the main town area right off the tender is great, too. The beaches are, of course, great. It's Hawaii, after all. Of course, Hawaii cruises would require more of a time and financial commitment than other cruises.
What are your favorite beaches in St.Thomas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

I'm looking into cruises for next year but I have absolutely NO IDEA where to go.. I've done Eastern, Western and Bermuda. However my boyfriend has never been on a cruise. What are the places that are a must see? What type of excursions did you do there?
Very best in eastern Caribbean is St. Maarten. Western Caribbean? Hmm, maybe Belize. Not very fond of Western! For Europe - oh there are so many! Toss up between Venice & Edinburgh, Scotland. But Iceland & Greenland - don't ever pass those up! A Baltics cruise is sheer heaven! Very least favorite? Bermuda - nothing to do there.

Best excursion I ever took - Marseille, France. A tuk tuk tour throughout the entire city! So inexpensive, not much walking & absolute fun!

2nd best - river tubing over small rapids in Granada. For an old lady like me, it was the most adventurous I've ever done & it was a blast!

If you don't want to do Europe, try Alaska or Hawaii. But DO NOT fly to Hawaii & cruise from within. That cruise is horrible! Start from Los Angeles, San Diego or Frisco. Wonderful cruises!

Have fun picking! Better try a short one on your boyfriend, in case he doesn't like cruising. Yes there are people out there who hate cruising! It's a love or hate thing. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Best port of course is my home port SYDNEY. Voted the world's best harbour. Incredible sailing out to a sunset with The Opera House & Sydney Harbour Bridge..

Best new port would be Moorea (Tahati) Beautiful..

Beach: Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk (beach is much better by Jack's Shack than near the pier)

Tour: St. Kitt's - Grey's Island Tours, Grand Tour (Mr. Grey is practically a Morgan Freeman clone)

Island: St. Maarten, both sides (food is better on the French side)

Port: Skagway, Alaska

Restaurant: Mojito's in San Juan (best mojitos I ever had and excellent fresh fish, walking distance from ship)

Never again: St. Lucia (heavily armed military on the streets, beggars worse than Freeport)

Disclaimer: I have not been to Aruba or Curacao yet, but have been to all other Caribbean islands

Edited by IntrepidFromDC

I'm looking into cruises for next year but I have absolutely NO IDEA where to go.. I've done Eastern, Western and Bermuda. However my boyfriend has never been on a cruise. What are the places that are a must see? What type of excursions did you do there?
Have you cruised out of New Orleans? Doing so is a unique experience. Lots of good food and a festive atmosphere in New Orleans and you get to cruise down the Mississippi river until after midnight, finally emerging into the Gulf. It's quite different than sailing from other ports. It's been a few years since I've done it. I'm ready to do it again. The only drawback is that the itinerary is mostly Western, so options are limited on that. BUT... if you should decide to do a Western itinerary, N.O. is THE best port to do it from.

What are your favorite beaches in St.Thomas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Magen's Bay, without a doubt. I went there a lot when I was a kid (before it got overcrowded), and when I went back there for the first time in over 20 years in 2016, it was just as I remembered, save for all the extra people. I still enjoyed it. Next time I want to try the ferry to St. John.

Magen's Bay, without a doubt. I went there a lot when I was a kid (before it got overcrowded), and when I went back there for the first time in over 20 years in 2016, it was just as I remembered, save for all the extra people. I still enjoyed it. Next time I want to try the ferry to St. John.

I just googled pictures of it, and it looks beautiful!

How far is it from the port? Do you have any idea how much transportation to the beach will cost? Are there bathrooms there and chair rentals ? (Sorry for all of the questions.) :)

Diann

No one has mentioned my favorite, Cabo San Lucas, in the winter so one can see whales almost in your face. Venice is wonderful, also Dubrovnik was enchanting.
We went horseback riding in Cabo! It was a wonderful excursion; nice long easy ride across the beach, with the ocean on one side & high cliffs on the other. Ocean breeze was fabulous. Seeing the rock formations out in the water was fantastic. Didn't see any whales, must have been the wrong time of the year. I think it was in May. We were crossing the Panama canal.

Dubrovnik is also beautiful, the castles & the wall take you back to another time.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I just googled pictures of it, and it looks beautiful!

How far is it from the port? Do you have any idea how much transportation to the beach will cost? Are there bathrooms there and chair rentals ? (Sorry for all of the questions.) :)

Diann

I want to say it’s about 25-30 minutes away. It’s really lovely. But be warned - please don’t get your heart set on any one beach on any one island. Last time we were in St. Thomas (March) rough seas the night before washed sand over all the roads to the beaches on that side of the island. It and Sapphire were both closed - we could only get a taxi to hidden cove and it was lovely but so many people were forced there it was packed!

I have learned that with cruising you absolutely must go with the flow!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums