Upgrade / add cabinmate inside 90 days?

Apologies if this has been discussed repeatedly… I found some answers in threads from a few years ago but not sure if still relevant.

Planning a trip and happy to go solo in a regular oceanview stateroom, but it's possible I'll have someone come along. However, that someone remains undecided. If he does come along, I would want to switch to a suite (and obviously change booking to double occupancy).

I don't want to wait for the decision. Feel compelled to go on and reserve the solo option so I get the price and location I want, but not sure how this will affect my options if my travelmate decides to join.

Any advice? Will I be able to change my booking to double occupancy and upgrade to suite within 90 days of sailing? Or would I have to cancel my solo booking, accept the penalty, and rebook from scratch?

Any input appreciated. Many thanks for your help!

I think it would be less complicated if the potential travelmate could decide before final payment is due! There is also the possibility no suites will be available that close to sail date. That being said, you can usually upgrade to a higher cabin category that costs more after final payment...

If you plan to do the cruise either way, book it for the reasons you mentoned, monitor the suite inventory and perhaps travelmate could make a decision if supply is dwindling.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the reply, Danna! LOL I think it would be less complicated if he'd go ahead and decide too!

I'm not so worried about suite availability/inventory. Mostly was concerned about converting the solo booking to double rather than having to cancel it (and thus incur the penalty).

Sounds like it would be okay as long as the availability is there. Thanks for the info!

You should be worried about inventory. In my experience, ships sail full. You need to contact the specific cruise line and ask what their policy is about upgrading after final payment. Also you need to find out what the availability would be for suites on the cruise you have booked.

As has been mentioned, I think the two main issues you could encounter are unavailability of a bigger cabin (especially any kind of suite as these are almost always 100% sold out), as well as capacity of the ship. Ships never sail with every one of their cabins filled to complete capacity. If a ship reaches max passengers (based on safety/lifeboat requirements) then no one else can join the cruise, unless there are last minute cancellations. If the stars all line up for you, you should have no issue adding another passenger and upgrading, but also be advised that the rates may rise considerably as the sailing gets closer (or not, you just can't say for sure)

"Will I be able to change my booking to double occupancy and upgrade to suite within 90 days of sailing? Or would I have to cancel my solo booking, accept the penalty, and rebook from scratch?"

Changing from a single to a double occupancy does not require that you cancel the original booking.

HOWEVER, there is a potential issue which you would not be aware of and have no way of checking on in advance. Each lifeboat has a certain capacity and once that is reached no more booking will be accepted for that lifeboat assignment. If there are a number of three and four person occupancy cabins all booked, and you have a single, they may not allow you to add a roommate.

My suggestion is to book as a double with your friend's name on the reservation so you would assure that a double occupancy is allowed. If he or she has to cancel, you would pay the double occupancy price (minus their port fees and taxes).