AT&T Cruise, Talk, Text and Data? Hidden Charges? or Wi-Fi calling? Input Appreciated

JanJanG

On 7/15/2018 at 1:14 PM, Zeta3 said:

I am allowed 5+ weeks off from work so if somebody needs to reach me for an urgent issue, I don’t mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Throw your phone overboard. But check which loser rang you knowing you are on holiday. Then when you get back sack them. Or send them into the ocean to find your now missing phone.

I wont charge for this sound advice.

I have read all the responses, but my knowledge is so limited that I still don't understand all the answers.  I would appreciate someone trying once more to explain.

I purchased the AT&T $100 Phone (unlimited), Text (unlimited), and Data package.  I understand that data usage is limited and could incur additional charges.

I have also purchased the Norwegian on-board Unlimited Wi-Fi Package (unlimited web surfing, email access, social media access, all apps-but, no streaming)

I have an Iphone 8.  How do I utilize both of my packages?  Do I have to be off of one of them if I want to utilize the other? Some responders have commented about being on Airplane mode.  Why would I not want to receive communications through either or both of my packages?  AT&T tells me I have unlimited calls and texts, but one of their reps said I need to turn off the NCL Wifi before using their phone/text package.  NCL says my Wifi usage is unlimited.  I don't understand.

Thanks for any responses.

On board the ship, to use cellular for talk, text, and data, you are connected to the ship's cell tower.  And that incurs additional fees over an above your package.  And those fees can be VERY high.  Some people have reported multi hundred dollar charges from not having their phone in Airplane Mode and having apps doing things in the background.

If you use the ship's wifi, you pay for your access, then you have unlimited use.  Most carriers and smart phones support WiFi calling (and texting), which uses WiFi instead of cellular connection.   So you do not incur the costs of using the ship's cellular service.

So, before you leave, you enable WiFi calling on your phone and go through the setup. You must be connected to your cell service to do this.  Then, once you board, you turn on Airplane Mode, which turns off the cellular service.  And you turn WiFi On, and connect to the ship's WiFi.  Then you can call, text, and use data, without extra charges (just the charge for WiFi service).

When you are in port, you can use either WiFi at hotspots or cellular.  If you are outside your home country, using cellular can incur international roaming charges.   You have to check with your carrier about those costs.

I think ATT also has a package where you pay so much per day and get a reduced rate to use the ship's cellular system.  Also, ATT and Verizon have international packages that you pay something like $10 per day for unlimited use in a foreign country.  I am on T-Mobile, and get unlimited text and data (guaranteed 2G only) and 24 cent per minute calling in in over 240 countries for no extra charge.

• Like 1