Considering switching my honeymoon cruise to Norwegian

FSU Girl

Older does not mean awful. These ships are updated and refurbed. I’d take 14 days with a wonderful itinerary in a heartbeat over a 7 day less exciting itinerary with character breakfasts.

And remember, more people will post about things they perceive as bad, than will post about the good and normal and pleasant. Those things just tend to get overlooked. Human nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is true that more people tend to right a bad review than a good review. The itinerary is great, but I didn’t realize it had 5 sea days. That seems like a lot of days on a boat at sea especially if I end up not liking the boat. It’s making me a little hesitant

Where to find excursions? Just look at the PORTS OF CALL board for Europe and there is a whole sub-forum for Northern Europe.

I wouldn't stress about the sea days, there will be activities and seriously you might find you need to re-charge in between the ports.

IF this is where you want to explore just do it :D

Where to find excursions? Just look at the PORTS OF CALL board for Europe and there is a whole sub-forum for Northern Europe.

I wouldn't stress about the sea days, there will be activities and seriously you might find you need to re-charge in between the ports.

IF this is where you want to explore just do it :D

That’s a good point with all the port days we’ll be pretty exhausted and need to rest. It’s just so many sea days I’ve never been on a cruise with so many

I didn't have enough time to complete my lengthy post re your cruise on the Spirit.

In a few words: the ship is the most romantic in the NCL fleet, a ship & itinerary for self-sufficient cruisers, no childish entertainment, a 3.1-3.2* ship that is OK to cruise, but one needs to know how to cruise on these ships and how to cruise on NCL.

I looked up the reviews that might concern you - notning major. The main reason for low rating - lack of experience. But of course take into consideration that a 3*+ ship will not bring the same reviews as a 5* ship.

That was about the ship.

Now my absolutely subjective opinion on the itinerary. A cruise that far north, that long, on that ship in late september would be in my list only on condition that my company gives me additional vacation time, and the cruise is free. Just not my cup of tea.

Objectively - of course this itinerary is a rare case.

Another subjective thing: 9 ports for a 14-day cruise is more than enough for me. I would simly stay on board if there were more ports. A good cruise is a balance of the ports and sea days.

And the ship is important - you are right.

I cruise on all cruise lines but not on all ships. :)

Given some flexibility and sufficient budget (as you mentioned Disney and Haven), you search may lead you to great options for your remarkable trip.

Of course I would look at the Mediterranean.

NCL Epic? That would be a radical switch from the most romantic to the less romantic NCL ship.

And BTW Haven is not worth money unless a heavy discount is available, I mean ~50%. The ships you can choose are: Getaway, Breakaway, Bliss.

OK.

The life is getting easier and more pleasant as we move closer to the Mediterranean. Don't forget Canary Islands btw.

Options around your dates in September, 2019

1. Full cruises (12 - 14 days)

A solid option

12 Days Mediterranean-East

Holland America Line • ms Koningsdam

Rome/Civitavecchia, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Split, Ravenna, Korcula, Corfu, Catania, Valletta, Gozo Island, Rome/Civitavecchia

1 departure date: Sep 24 2019

If sor some reason you are determined to tale a cruise on an NCL ship:

11 Days Mediterranean-East

Norwegian Cruise Line • Norwegian Jade

Rome/Civitavecchia, Thira/Santorini, Athens/Piraeus, Mykonos, Rhodes, Chania/Crete, Valletta, Messina, Naples, Livorno, Rome/Civitavecchia

2 departure dates: Sep 22 2019

A budget option

12 Days Mediterranean-West

MSC Cruises • MSC Poesia

Genoa, Marseille, Barcelona, Casablanca, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Funchal, Malaga, Rome/Civitavecchia, Genoa

1 departure date: Sep 29 2019

A great itinerary - on a small ship (very good food & service) for retirement cruising.

But note that these ships are known as ships for "overfed, newly wed, and almost dead".

Again: note the "newly wed"! It's for a reason.

12 Days Mediterranean-West

Oceania Cruises • Sirena

Barcelona, Alicante, Motril, Cruising Atlantic Ocean, Arrecife, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Las Palmas, Cruising Atlantic Ocean, Tangier, Cartagena/Spain, Cruise Mediterranean Sea, Monte Carlo, Rome/Civitavecchia

1 departure date: Sep 19 2019

A Superb Classic Pan-Mediterranean itinerary on a small ship (very good food & service) for retirement cruising.

This is another ship for the "overfed, newly wed, and almost dead".

The itineary is fantastic. Had I been requested to compose the best itinerary for honeymooners, I would have done this one word for word!

12 Days Mediterranean-East.

Azamara Club Cruises • Azamara Journey

Barcelona, Saint-Tropez, Monte Carlo, Livorno, Rome/Civitavecchia, Sorrento/Italy, Amalfi, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Zadar, Venice/Italy

1 departure date: Sep 28 2019

As we are looking for a great cruise within a certain period of time, we must check if any of the top best cruise ships afloat will be nearby.

Below is one of them (#5 in my rating of the top of the top).

Unfortunately the prices are above reasonable. And Viking fans may see it again that competitors are able offer better itinearires for better price range.

But the ships are not as good of course.

This is FYO only.

12 Days Europe-Southern

Viking Ocean Cruises • Viking Star

Venice/Italy, Split, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Cruise Ionian Sea, Naples, Rome/Civitavecchia, Florence/Italy, Monte Carlo, Marseille, Barcelona

Valetta to Triest

14-day Eastern Mediterranean on a cruise ship #4 at sea - Mein Schiff 4

This the secknd best cruise ship available in the Mediteterranean in September 2019, but the itinearary isn't a clear winner.

This TUI Cruises - the best product under Royal Caribbean umbrella. This is a large Germany-based company. Service personnell speaks perfect English.

Excellent product.

Expensive.

Included: spa, some beverages, gratuities.

• [*]

• Mon 23/09/19
    • At Sea

[*]

[*]

• Wed 25/09/19
    • Rhodes / Greece
    • 08:00
    • 19:00

[*]

• Thu 26/09/19
    • Mykonos / Greece
    • 07:00

[*]

[*]

• Sat 28/09/19
    • At Sea

[*]

• Sun 29/09/19
    • Valletta / Malta
    • 04:30
    • 22:00

[*]

• Mon 30/09/19
    • At Sea

[*]

• Tue 01/10/19
    • Dubrovnik / Croatia
    • 21:30

[*]

• Wed 02/10/19
    • Bari / Italy
    • 08:00
    • 18:00

[*]

• Thu 03/10/19
    • Split / Croatia

[*]

• Fri 04/10/19
    • At Sea

[*]

• Sat 05/10/19
    • Koper / Slovenia
    • 23:00

[*]

• Sun 06/10/19
    • Triest / Italy
    • 01:00

2. Short 7-day cruises

For a 7-day cruise in september 2019 threreis only one option for you: MSC Seaview in the Yacht Club class

Note that the Yacht Club experience on this ship is superior to all NCL Havens (except Bliss).

Starting in Rome:

7 Days Mediterranean-West

MSC Cruises • MSC Seaview

Rome/Civitavecchia, Cannes, Palma de Mallorca, Barcelona, Ajaccio, Genoa, La Spezia, Rome/Civitavecchia

4 departure dates: Sep 4, 11, 18, 25 2019

Starting in Genoa:

7 Days Mediterranean-West

MSC Cruises • MSC Seaview

Genoa, La Spezia, Rome/Civitavecchia, Cannes, Palma de Mallorca, Barcelona, Ajaccio, Genoa

5 departure dates: Sep 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 2019

Finally

The single best option for you wedding cruise is:

Azamara Club Cruises • Azamara Journey

Barcelona, Saint-Tropez, Monte Carlo, Livorno, Rome/Civitavecchia, Sorrento/Italy, Amalfi, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Zadar, Venice/Italy

For a 7-day cruise the best and the only option is yach Club on the MSC Seaview.

Happy cruising on NCL and all other ships!:)

This is so detailed thank you! It gives me a lot to think about. I agree that the Mediterranean is really romantic, I’ve just sailed it twice so I was trying to look at places I hadn’t gone before. What about the Spirit makes it really romantic?

That’s also good to know the Haven isn’t worth the cost. I’ll look into MSC I hadn’t considered that cruise before. If we do a 7 night cruise we are planning on spending a week in Paris so don’t want the cruise to be too expensive

I was on the Spirit prior to the last refurb, and it was probably the worst cruise we've ever been on.

That being said, we're booked to go on the Spirit again next year for their Ultimate Baltics cruise in August.

LOL, are you drunk?

I was on the Spirit prior to the last refurb, and it was probably the worst cruise we've ever been on. It wasn't an awful time, but compared to other NCL ships it wasn't good. We had a lot of bad service issues in the restaurants and buffet.

That being said, we're booked to go on the Spirit again next year for their Ultimate Baltics cruise in August. Our reasoning was pretty much the same as yours -- the itinerary is one of a kind, and with only one sea day over 15 days we figure we won't be on the ship all that much where it should stand in the way of enjoying the ports.

LOL, are you drunk?
This plan would work for me also. We've never sailed a newer ship because we choose cruises based upon itinerary, and as long as we are happy with the ports and there is a minimal level of service on the ship, overall we'll be glad to have sailed. On our one NCL cruise, we also had a lot of service issues in the included restaurants (waiting 30 minutes just to place our order, my husband not having an silverware with his entree, and then realizing he didn't need any because it was completely inedible). But we would sail again with NCL if the price and itinerary were right, although we'd get a specialty dining package and include that in the base cost when comparing to other lines, since we were happy with the food on other lines). Other people prefer their time on the ship, and would hate this plan.

In response to the OP, you can find independent excursions either on cruise critic's destination board, or on tripadvisor. If you post your cities on the destination board here, people will help you.

This plan would work for me also. We've never sailed a newer ship because we choose cruises based upon itinerary, and as long as we are happy with the ports and there is a minimal level of service on the ship, overall we'll be glad to have sailed. On our one NCL cruise, we also had a lot of service issues in the included restaurants (waiting 30 minutes just to place our order, my husband not having an silverware with his entree, and then realizing he didn't need any because it was completely inedible). But we would sail again with NCL if the price and itinerary were right, although we'd get a specialty dining package and include that in the base cost when comparing to other lines, since we were happy with the food on other lines). Other people prefer their time on the ship, and would hate this plan.

In response to the OP, you can find independent excursions either on cruise critic's destination board, or on tripadvisor. If you post your cities on the destination board here, people will help you.

So you found NCL to have horrible service and inedible food yet you booked another trip with them and paid them another few grand? Must be quite the intiterary

So you found NCL to have horrible service and inedible food yet you booked another trip with them and paid them another few grand? Must be quite the intiterary

The service everywhere except in the free dining rooms was excellent. We had a dining package so very few of our meals were in the free venues, and we were quite happy with the dining in the specialty restaurants. In terms of planning another cruise, we'd just need to compare the price of NCL with a dining package to another line without one since we've been happy with the food on the other lines. It actually seems fairly reasonable to me that a cruise line might choose not to have good food in the mdr if they can have lower cabin prices since many people on these forums are happy with the food on NCL and would prefer a lower base price, and everyone else can buy or select the dining packages which completely solves our dining issue. I haven't sailed or booked with NCL again, but was just agreeing with another poster who explained they weren't happy on their last NCL cruise but booked another one due to the itinerary. I think it's quite possible that person will be happy on their next cruise, and so would I to sail NCL again under the right circumstances (a good itinerary and a low enough price to offset the need for a dining package, because otherwise I'd be better off on a cruise line in which I can eat the food in the mdr, which is all of the other ones I've sailed).

I’m changing my name in January and this cruise is in September. Changing the name can take more than 3 months? It’s tough being a girl lol

I had all of my name change documents complete in one day, new social security card printed at SS office, took that to DMV for new drivers license then set up appointment at Post Office to turn in my old passport and submit name change application on it. Three months is an incredibly long timeframe.

I had all of my name change documents complete in one day, new social security card printed at SS office, took that to DMV for new drivers license then set up appointment at Post Office to turn in my old passport and submit name change application on it. Three months is an incredibly long timeframe.

I thought it would take a long time. That’s incredible you could do it all in one day. I thought the social security card had to be mailed to you updated, they can print it there? How long did it take you to get the updated passport back?