Gratuities aboard Royal Caribbean

What are American rules ?

'American' rules are that service staff are paid low wages and that consumers tip (if service is satisfactory)to make up that deficit. RCL operate this model on their ships. To all the people that say that they should pay their staff higher wages, yes with our British way of thinking of course they should but if they did this they would charge a higher base price so we would all be paying the same in the end.

Now of course there are those people who think they are being clever and paying less than the suggested gratuity (or not paying at all), you are not stiffing the cruise line you are stiffing the staff and I don't know how anyone can justify this knowing how hard they work.

Julie

'American' rules are that service staff are paid low wages and that consumers tip (if service is satisfactory)to make up that deficit. RCL operate this model on their ships. To all the people that say that they should pay their staff higher wages, yes with our British way of thinking of course they should but if they did this they would charge a higher base price so we would all be paying the same in the end.

Now of course there are those people who think they are being clever and paying less than the suggested gratuity (or not paying at all), you are not stiffing the cruise line you are stiffing the staff and I don't know how anyone can justify this knowing how hard they work.

Julie

Wow thanks,must admit i've never read those rules when i book a cruise:rolleyes:

Julie

Nobody would dispute how hard these people work,what is in dispute IMO is what the effects of withdrawing this payment are,as I have said on other forums many do not believe that all the money goes where the cruise line say.

As for paying the staff more making the cruise dearer well P&O cruises are not significantly dearer than RCI IME,if anything quite the opposite,but somehow charge a much lower amount,seem to be able to withstand many people not paying this AND don't charge the 18% extra on top of drink prices which are also considerably lower than on RCI,& don't forget they are part of the Carnival group so are essentially American owned.

Choosing which cruise line you travel with isn't always that simple either,for us we book which ever cruise line has destinations that we like,no other reason.

Wow thanks,must admit i've never read those rules when i book a cruise:rolleyes:

Do you really believe that the cabin stewards and waiters are paid a great wage and if none of us paid gratuities they would work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 9 month contracts away from their families?

They have always given me a great holiday and I think they deserve every penny. But to each his own, you do whatever makes you feel good.

Julie

Nobody would dispute how hard these people work,what is in dispute IMO is what the effects of withdrawing this payment are,as I have said on other forums many do not believe that all the money goes where the cruise line say.

As for paying the staff more making the cruise dearer well P&O cruises are not significantly dearer than RCI IME,if anything quite the opposite,but somehow charge a much lower amount,seem to be able to withstand many people not paying this AND don't charge the 18% extra on top of drink prices which are also considerably lower than on RCI,& don't forget they are part of the Carnival group so are essentially American owned.

Choosing which cruise line you travel with isn't always that simple either,for us we book which ever cruise line has destinations that we like,no other reason.

I know there are those who say that the crew do not get all the tips, I like anyone else can't say 100% but have asked crew members many times and have always been told that they do get the tips.

We cruise lots of different lines, including P and O and always pay the suggested gratuity, (and sometimes more for great service) but I still think RCL offers good value for money all round.

Julie

Do you really believe that the cabin stewards and waiters are paid a great wage and if none of us paid gratuities they would work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 9 month contracts away from their families?

They have always given me a great holiday and I think they deserve every penny. But to each his own, you do whatever makes you feel good.

Julie

It was 14hrs per day ,98 hrs per week a couple of posts back

Whatever, it's way more than most of us work for less money :)

Julie

I wouldn't judge the amount of money based upon what "most of work" for. One needs to make this kind of judgement relative to the home country.

If this was such a bad deal then the cruise lines would have far more difficulties filling these jobs.

FWIW, a bartender on RCCI told me he would work five cruise contracts (he was on his third) and he would have enough saved to pay to build his 'dream house'. Build your 'dream' in five years isn't a bad wage.

1) Wait until the last day/evening of your cruise.

2) Give your cash tips to whoever you wish to while the automatic tips are still in place.

3) Then go to guest services to remove the automatic tips charge.

4) Whoever you gave a cash tip to (will) get to keep it...

5) Don't worry about what people on a message board think.

:cool:

The best piece of advice you will receive. People will get unpleasant in their replies...do what feels right for you.

The OP has stated they are British be kind everyone. Tipping is not part of the UK culture (or the majority of European countries) and takes a little bit of adjustment when travelling to the states. It would have been nice if people had explained the gratuities and how they work , without the aggression shown here by some. Many non USA people do not know how service staff are paid in the USA, where tips form part of their salary. In countries outside the USA service staff are not dependant on tips to make up their salary they are paid a living wage.

What would be even better would be if the cruise companies stopped calling them gratuities (which to a brit indicates discretionary parting with money) and called them a service charge which most people understand is compulsory. Better still why can't they just be included upfront in the cruise price.

AutumnDaze I hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise whatever you decide to do about the tips.

Fully agree with all your points - boy, there are some rude people on these boards...aggression / nastiness first - explanation after (or not at all). Sad state of affairs.

I do wish the compulsory 'gratuities' were included in the up front cost, then all this unpleasantness would be avoided. :(

Whatever, it's way more than most of us work for less money :)

Julie

WHATEVER The op asked a question and has been blasted on here from a certain few,Can't afford to tip ,stay at home,and the old favorite stiffing.The op has probably worked his or her arse off to go on this cruise and then you expect him or her to pay someone's wages for the privilage,oh and don't assume how much money people earn.

No they do not. You have no idea whether my answer is true or not. So why put up unsubstantiated opinion.

It's not unsubstantiated. The crew contract has been posted several times. Failure to turn in gratuities when auto-grats have been removed is cause for termination. Suggest you find it and read it before commenting.

It's not unsubstantiated. The crew contract has been posted several times. Failure to turn in gratuities when auto-grats have been removed is cause for termination. Suggest you find it and read it before commenting.

It is contradicted on other threads, I have never seen this contract of which you write on any previous threads.

Point me in the right direction to read it if you don't mind.

Obstructedview that’s great! Perfect in fact. Excellent advice, thank you xx

Yes you can save and save and not book until you have every penny which is very sensible but you could be like my poor father who got brain cancer young and died. Healthy man, life cut short. Live life while you can, I say. Xx

And how would you feel after a week of working your working class job if your paycheck was lower than normal and when you asked your boss they just shrugged and said they're trying to live life while they can, enjoy the smaller pay?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hello

I have booked our first cruise for next year, me, my bf and our 2 young children. I didn’t select to pre pay the gratuities and being British I find paying for a service I’ve not yet experienced, a bit weird. I have read that the staff rely on these payments and I understand there are many workers working behind the scenes so to speak who will rely more so on this money.

Can you opt out of these payments with Royal Caribbean and pay those people who provide great service individually? It is pretty expensive, our son will be two and his cost is the same as us. So for 4 of us for 11 nights, it’s a lot. Can I just pay for the adults? Also we don’t drink alcohol so I’d rather more went to the staff that make our stay great and not ones we will not meet/ did not do anything for our family.

We are a working class family, this is a real treat, so I’m not being tight, just realistic. Thank you in advance for any advice xx

You can remove grats by either going to guest services or by calling them from your cabin phone.....you can do so up until you disembark - no need to do it immediately!

You do not need to explain or justify - they will not ask any questions - but will just remove the grats!

Very easy!(y)

People on CC will tell you all kinds of myth to keep you from removing grats :rolleyes:....but it is your choice and money after all!

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

Don't go until you can afford to pay the hard working people who serve you.

Just realize that many countries don’t routinely tip. Anyone who has cruised much should know. Only on boutique cruise lines are regular tips included.

I wouldn't judge the amount of money based upon what "most of work" for. One needs to make this kind of judgement relative to the home country.

If this was such a bad deal then the cruise lines would have far more difficulties filling these jobs.

FWIW, a bartender on RCCI told me he would work five cruise contracts (he was on his third) and he would have enough saved to pay to build his 'dream house'. Build your 'dream' in five years isn't a bad wage.

I would like to add that while on the ship they don’t have the every day expenses that the rest of us have such as paying rent, buying food, medical expenses, utilities, transportation to and from work and they are given uniforms that are cleaned and pressed. Since they work such long hours they really don’t have time to spend what little they make.

I accept that when I travel that I will have added expenses that are not included in the base price. I appreciate that the cruise line charges me a fair rate per day for the hotel fee. I can choose to pre pay and pretend that it’s part of the original fare, pay by the day having it added daily or use OBC to pay for it. I find it more convenient than making up excuses to have it removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1) Wait until the last day/evening of your cruise.

2) Give your cash tips to whoever you wish to while the automatic tips are still in place.

3) Then go to guest services to remove the automatic tips charge.

4) Whoever you gave a cash tip to (will) get to keep it...

5) Don't worry about what people on a message board think.

:cool:

OK ....

They still have to turn in the cash received.

How would THAT work in the above scenario?:confused: