Gratuities aboard Royal Caribbean

Just where do you think the money is supposed to come from to pay the crew?

Where do you think it comes from?

Gratuities are not part of the fare and the shipping line should not rely on them to pay the crew.

Usually out of the price you pay for the cruise plus all the extras you buy on board.

My point was that the passengers pay the crew one way or another. The person I was responding to evidently thought some magic money fairy was going to pay the crew so the poor OP didn't have to.

I am sure there will be a lot of people who do that and not just Brits.

There is no doubt in my mind that many Americans remove the gratuity. However after reading tipping threads on all of the major cruise line boards there seems to be someone who at some point either in reply to the tread or starting the thread that will state that since they are British or Australian they don't tip because it's not part of their culture. I also realize that there are plenty of Brits and Aussies that don't agree with this point of view.

There is no doubt in my mind that many Americans remove the gratuity. However after reading tipping threads on all of the major cruise line boards there seems to be someone who at some point either in reply to the tread or starting the thread that will state that since they are British or Australian they don't tip because it's not part of their culture. I also realize that there are plenty of Brits and Aussies that don't agree with this point of view.
I agree,even some Americans too disagree with tipping.

I personally tip very well because I appreciate people trying to make our cruise special for us and as well as saying thank you I also give a gratuity to hopefully make their lives better too.

Where do you think it comes from?

Gratuities are not part of the fare and the shipping line should not rely on them to pay the crew.

Cruiselines will always rely on the pax to pay the crew as the money will always come from the pax one way or another.

I agree though, in the current system they (the cruiselines) shouldn´t allow the cancellation of the gratuities.

I however won´t change my opinion about those stiffing the crew as being cheap and should stay home if they can´t afford the tip. It´s not the fault of the crew and they should not be punished for the system being set up.

As for having to turn in the cash gratuities or not....for those folks thinking one in their pockets it stays there....

well those auto grats are distributed to many more people behind the scenes opposed to the people you tip in person. Do you really think the cabin attendants and waiters being tipped in cash with the prepaid/auto grats being cancelled can survive in the long run with not turning in their cash? All those helpers expect to be paid by them, because they know the grats were cancelled and they will not put up with them and not getting their money. The pressure between the colleagues is high enough for them to freeky turn in the tips and there´s not even a need for their employer to put much pressure on. When they are actually stiffed they will still hand over money, as none of their colleagues would believe they got nothing and even if they knew it´s true they would still demand their money, as they are not working for nothing and if not paid the cabin attendant / waiter / etc. would have a hard time in the future without getting any help and supplies like fresh towels, sheets, linnen....

I just don't want anyone to bully those that do want to tip.

You & so many others have lost sight of what this post is about. It has nothing at all to do with what others tip, if they want to tip or how much. This post is ONLY about ONE thing (below) but the cheerleaders here do what they always do. Soon the regulars here will turn this entire thread into a chat, since there is no private message feature. Here is a reminder to what this post is about, the information can easily be located on page one, 1st post.. (Below)

Can you opt out of these payments with Royal Caribbean and pay those people who provide great service individually?

Does anyone remember the original question?? It's right there ^

:cool:

Yes, and you are part of the culture fostering the bullying on this thread and making things personal. Look in the mirror. Please stop trying to hully us because we feel strongly about tipping for good service. That is our right. I personally don't care if you don't want to tip, I don't agree but that is a choice that you would have to live with yourself with and reconcile ethically. I just don't want anyone to bully those that do want to tip.
I am from England and tip really well all the time but didn't feel like Redrobo was bullying me because of my tipping beliefs.

Cruiselines will always rely on the pax to pay the crew as the money will always come from the pax one way or another.

I agree though, in the current system they (the cruiselines) shouldn´t allow the cancellation of the gratuities.

I however won´t change my opinion about those stiffing the crew as being cheap and should stay home if they can´t afford the tip. It´s not the fault of the crew and they should not be punished for the system being set up.

As for having to turn in the cash gratuities or not....for those folks thinking one in their pockets it stays there....

well those auto grats are distributed to many more people behind the scenes opposed to the people you tip in person. Do you really think the cabin attendants and waiters being tipped in cash with the prepaid/auto grats being cancelled can survive in the long run with not turning in their cash? All those helpers expect to be paid by them, because they know the grats were cancelled and they will not put up with them and not getting their money. The pressure between the colleagues is high enough for them to freeky turn in the tips and there´s not even a need for their employer to put much pressure on. When they are actually stiffed they will still hand over money, as none of their colleagues would believe they got nothing and even if they knew it´s true they would still demand their money, as they are not working for nothing and if not paid the cabin attendant / waiter / etc. would have a hard time in the future without getting any help and supplies like fresh towels, sheets, linnen....

Very good reply.

As stated many times by me I prepay my tips and have no worries about getting excellent service on RC and for me either prepay or auto-pay is the fairest way for all concerned.

You & so many others have lost sight of what this post is about. It has nothing at all to do with what others tip, if they want to tip or how much. This post is ONLY about ONE thing (below) but the cheerleaders here do what they always do. Soon the regulars here will turn this entire thread into a chat, since there is no private message feature. Here is a reminder to what this post is about, the information can easily be located on page one, 1st post.. (Below)

Does anyone remember the original question?? It's right there ^

:cool:

So? This forum doesn't adhere to Robert's Rules of Order...

It tends to wander a bit. Doesn't bother me

Thank you for saying this, it seemed like this thread was becoming a rant against the British for some posters.

I am a Brit who always pays the auto gratuities and often tips on top. I accept that other people, whatever their nationality will do as they see fit but I don't think it's right to use nationality as a reason not to tip.

I don't even believe that the number of Brits that don't pay the auto tips is as high as often implied, surely if it were RCL UK would have moved over to the pricing that it uses in Australia where tips are included in the price of the cruise and everyone must pay them.

Julie

I think P&O UK are realising that tips should be included because there is a lot of complaints about tipping on their threads.

Thank you for saying this, it seemed like this thread was becoming a rant against the British for some posters.

I am a Brit who always pays the auto gratuities and often tips on top. I accept that other people, whatever their nationality will do as they see fit but I don't think it's right to use nationality as a reason not to tip.

I don't even believe that the number of Brits that don't pay the auto tips is as high as often implied, surely if it were RCL UK would have moved over to the pricing that it uses in Australia where tips are included in the price of the cruise and everyone must pay them.

Julie

Actually, I think NCL has moved to an all inclusive (higher) fare for overseas cruisers, and it appears that RCZl tends to follow NCL’s changes (room service charge, higher DSC).

Must be true, caps were used

So what are you trying to say? Does Royal Caribbean's rules & regulations now permit a passenger to legally bring their own water, alcohol & soda onboard? No...... So why did you even reply?

Removing automatic tips IS within the rules & regulations of the cruise line. Bottom line!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: