1st Europe Cruise - port or starboard?

b.cruising

There’s no real way of knowing which side. Depends on specific docking sites at each port. We have booked with friends and usually get rooms on opposite sides instead of next to each other so we can ‘visit’ the balcony with a nice view.

Den

Ports are Nice, Monte Carlo, Rome, Messina, Corfu, Kotor, Zadar and Venice.

Should we book port or starboard balcony?

Thanks for your help!

We've been to Venice, Kotor and Corfu on your list. We were port side on that cruise. I don't recall anything special about Corfu but the exit via the Grand Canal in Venice had wonderful views. The approach to Kotor is via an absolutely fantastic fjord. In both cases what you might miss on the way in you can see on the way out. So in my experience with these 3 it doesn't really matter.

Ports are Nice, Monte Carlo, Rome, Messina, Corfu, Kotor, Zadar and Venice.

Should we book port or starboard balcony?

Thanks for your help!

For me Venice is the crown jewel of the ports you list. Assuming that you are sailing out of Venice, you want to be on the port side facing St Marks square as you leave. The picture from our balcony is still the screen saver on my computer. Choose your cabin carefully to stay away from any smoking areas that might be below you on the port side.

For me Venice is the crown jewel of the ports you list. Assuming that you are sailing out of Venice, you want to be on the port side facing St Marks square as you leave. The picture from our balcony is still the screen saver on my computer. Choose your cabin carefully to stay away from any smoking areas that might be below you on the port side.

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal prior to our cruise. Two minute walk to St Mark's. What a fabulous city - love to spend more time there in the future.

You never know where you will dock or how so there's no way to be certain. I always book starboard because all the outside smoking sections are on port side.

So smoking areas on X are always port? That's good to know as going forward we'll mostly stay with them.

So smoking areas on X are always port? That's good to know as going forward we'll mostly stay with them.

Yes that is correct, smoking areas on the lower decks are always on the port side. There are some cabins on the port side that wouldn't be affected. An example would be forward cabins on S-class ships that are forward of the open deck.

If you have any sea days it could be useful if you have a preference for sun in the morning or sun in the evening. When it's hot, we tend to like the sun on the balcony in the morning but by the afternoon we want the shade

You never know where you will dock or how so there's no way to be certain. I always book starboard because all the outside smoking sections are on port side.

Just wondered if anyone has stayed in S1on the reflection has had a problem with cigarette smoke - it’s port side ?

Many thanks

Since this is your first European cruise, you will find yourself loving every minute of it; after my first, I had to go back again and again and again...I am still going back! Just go with your best guess as to which side(not close to smoking) and you will be just fine. It will not even matter that much due to you being in Europe...you can always go up top and get a 360 or a 180 if you are aft and love the wake! Enjoy...

Edited by Lastdance