Celebrity Summit Review- 7/15-7/22

Marleycruiser

We left the Summit on July 8th after spending twenty-one nights onboard. The second leg of our B2B was the sailing was the one LisaLeone was also on.

We spent thirty-four nights on the Summit last fall when we had Maggie as sommelier in Luminae. While we were on the Summit from June 17th through July 8th we had Siraz in Luminae, and actually thought he was more creative in recommending wines than Maggie. We enjoy nice wines which was evident from my husband's discussion with him. We just told him what we ordered, and Siraz would bring us something interesting -- such as a 2015 Jean-Luc Colombo Les Abeilles de Colombo. He also was serving interesting wines to others who clearly were interested trying different wines.

Regarding butlers -- we had Judas when on the Summit in 2017. This time we had Rikki. Also onboard when we left is Ram, who we had on the Millennium also in 2017. I thought that Rikki and Ram were equally as excellent as Judas.

We were also on the July 15 sailing but in Aqua. Some points up front. Neither of us are much on drinking, neither of us are go lie on the beach people, neither of us had ever been to Bermuda and going in we knew the Summit was an older ship and scheduled for a major overhaul in 2019. With that said, we loved the entire trip. We found the captain and the entire crew to be outstanding. Every where we went we got smiles and "how can we help you today". We bought an iPad in the Apple store because we had a lot of OBC to us and Greg could not have been more helpful. He showed us what he had on board, offered suggestions and then took the time to get it all set up for us. Patrica at guest relations easily took care of sorting out our OBC so it all went to the iPad. For some reason we had two separate accounts on this cruise so our Go Big credit was separated. She had no problem combining it in just a few minutes. The entire staff in Blu was amazing. My wife has some food allergies and our waiter, Emanual on most nights, always made sure she was getting things she could eat and enjoy without getting sick. We booked this cruise to celebrate her milestone birthday and the staff made a great day of it for us. A birthday card from the CC host, lots of smiles when we got a facetime call from our grandchildren during breakfast and a delicious chocolate cake at dinner. The entertainment, it was fair. A few acts were really good, the production shows were ok, Peter the piano player who played all over the ship was very good. Since we are not sun people we never really noticed the pool bands but the due in the Sunset/Oceanview bar were very good. The CC Elite events that we attended were nice, especially the cocktail hour.

We took the ferries around to Hamilton and St. George. Easy and reasonable prices. For Horseshoe Bay there were vans right at the dock that charged $7 per person for a non-stop ride right down to the beach. The beach was free but you could rent chairs, etc and there was a bar and restaurant. Showers, toilets, changing rooms were free. We spent a nice hour or so just walking along the beach, wading the surf and making some pictures. The only real negative we found was Harbor Fest on Wednesday night in Hamilton. We made a special trip back to check it out and it was mostly a street fair with food and craft vendors and some music. I can find that any Sunday in the summer in NYC or at the Jersey shore...where it costs $8 and up just to walk on the sand in the summer.

For us the trip was great and we are already talking about going back next summer, hopefully in Aqua again.

Thanks for the clarification. So one would think that Cellar Masters must have been without supplies as well?! I will hope that they get their supplies prior to our cruise (early August).

On other X sailings when something was sold out or not available, we found it took them only one (1) to replace with something we liked at no additional charge, when we asked for it to be replaced. YMMV

This is in the MDR.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

We left the Summit on July 8th after spending twenty-one nights onboard. The second leg of our B2B was the sailing was the one LisaLeone was also on.

We spent thirty-four nights on the Summit last fall when we had Maggie as sommelier in Luminae. While we were on the Summit from June 17th through July 8th we had Siraz in Luminae, and actually thought he was more creative in recommending wines than Maggie. We enjoy nice wines which was evident from my husband's discussion with him. We just told him what we ordered, and Siraz would bring us something interesting -- such as a 2015 Jean-Luc Colombo Les Abeilles de Colombo. He also was serving interesting wines to others who clearly were interested trying different wines.

Regarding butlers -- we had Judas when on the Summit in 2017. This time we had Rikki. Also onboard when we left is Ram, who we had on the Millennium also in 2017. I thought that Rikki and Ram were equally as excellent as Judas.

Northern Aurora - not sure if you commented on a separate post earlier, but would you have any recommendations on servers in Luminae? Thank you for your comments above.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Northern Aurora - not sure if you commented on a separate post earlier, but would you have any recommendations on servers in Luminae? Thank you for your comments above.

Ignore my last Northern Aurora. I just checked and you indeed had given me your recommendations. I should have checked before I posted. Sorry

Marleycruiser, thank you for all of the information. I have another question-- did the ship make the U turn around the Statute of Liberty when you left the cruise port dock?

Montgomeryfamily - I was on the Summit for both the May 20th and the July 8th sailings. We did not make the U turn around the Statute of Liberty on either sailings. I'm not really sure if they did the "statute tour" on any sailing from Bayonne this year!

We were on the same cruise as Marleycruiser and no we did not make a turn around The Lady. It was windy and river traffic was heavy when we left so we went straight out into the channel and headed under the VZN bridge. We had a view of the lady but nothing up close.

montgomeryfamily: We were on the June 17th and June 27th Summit sailings from Bayonne earlier this summer. On one we headed toward the Statue of Liberty, and on the other we headed out to sea. We were B2B2B last fall on the Summit with embarkation in Bayonne and both turnaround days at Bayonne. It seems to me that once during those three sailings we headed toward the Statue with the other two times we headed out to sea. So don't count on sailing close to Lady Liberty, but if you do then count the experience as "icing on the cake."

Thank you all for your replies. I understand that the Summit doesn't always go out by the Statute of Liberty (especially this year) and that this is greatly influenced by river traffic and weather. But when it does the Statute of Liberty routing, is it better to be on the port or starboard side, if we can't be on the front? We just want to be prepared in the very lucky event that this would happen on our cruise.

Thank you all for your replies. I understand that the Summit doesn't always go out by the Statute of Liberty (especially this year) and that this is greatly influenced by river traffic and weather. But when it does the Statute of Liberty routing, is it better to be on the port or starboard side, if we can't be on the front? We just want to be prepared in the very lucky event that this would happen on our cruise.

It makes no difference what side you are on as they actually go around so both sides get up close and personal. At least that's how it's been done on the cruises we have taken where they have gone "up river."