Favorite meals in the main dining room

scrapycruiser

On the Viking Sea TA in March/April, I enjoyed lamb chops , the lobster in the MDR . I also loved the sides they had on menu each night. It was various cooked veggies , rice. I loved the rice ( nice small portion) instead of a potato.

For lunch ,I loved Mamsen Deli in Explorer lounge, the Pool grill for a qick burger or Nordic Hot dog( it has baby shrimp all over the hot dog). On sea days, the MDR was open. ate there a number of time for a leisurely lunch at a shared large table. Also the World cafe for the sandwich of the day and great salads.

Just back from Iconic Cities of the Western Mediterranean (Barcelona to Rome). So much good food!! In the World Cafe --King crab legs with drawn butter on the last 3 nights, the live pasta station. On the Aqua Vit Terrace there was something different every night cooked right in front of you -- the steak au poivre, the bouillabaise, the paella. Hubby loved the osso bucco in Manfedi's. There was the success cake from Mamsen's... and the freshly baked cookies... burgers at the pool grill....and so much more!

What about plain simple but beautifully prepared food? I can't stand food which has been messed around with? Any chance of something simple?

Not to worry — there are plenty of “simple” food options (steak, baked chicken, etc.) that are available every meal plus they are VERY accommodating with “customizing” your order if you want to choose your own side dishes, leave certain ingredients out (like no anchovies in the Caeser salad, mashed potatoes instead of pumpkin purée, etc.). They have plenty of great options for both “foodies” and folks who like good simple dishes. I consider myself to be a pretty picky eater with simple tastes and I never went hungry! :)

The steak that was on the menu every day was very good as an alternative in the MDR. No one brought up breakfast. Lol. The world cafe had nice crossants with chocolate that I had almost every day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

I am a devotee of the omelette bar--and the chocolate croissants.

Just remember that, at all meals, the buffet is not the same on both sides. There is only one omelet station at breakfast and there is only one sushi station at dinner and a couple other such that I can remember.

I have had liver on two different cruises. It was cooked to perfection. I know liver is not to everyone's taste. It did not appear on our third Viking cruise even though I looked out for it. My husband doesn't like it and it's not worth cooking just for me.

• Like 1

What about plain simple but beautifully prepared food? I can't stand food which has been messed around with? Any chance of something simple?

Sashimi every night in World Cafe-truly not messed around with, except for cutting! There was always a grilled fish and salads. Lots of veggies, rice, potatoes. Always charcuterie and cheeses. I think they did a great job accommodating a variety of tastes.

I don’t eat red meat and avoid carbs (pasta, sweets, breads). I was never bored or displeased with my choices.

I would say most of the food ( other than Chef’s Table) was fairly simple.

I have had liver on two different cruises. It was cooked to perfection. I know liver is not to everyone's taste. It did not appear on our third Viking cruise even though I looked out for it. My husband doesn't like it and it's not worth cooking just for me.

Try the liverposte at Mamsen. It is topped with bacon and mushrooms, served hot. I had it at lunch the first day. You have to ask for it. It was very good, but my Bestamor's is still the best ever.