Assistance getting on and off ship

Jeffrey1950

This may be rather a silly question but I am wondering, If a passenger is brought on the ship in a wheel chair but can walk are they brought on board and left at the entrance or are they taken straight to their cabin? Perhaps I should explain myself- I can walk by all means but only a short distance. The thought last time I was on board never occurred to ask for assistance and I walked on board but was in a lot of pain by the time I stepped on the ship. However, come time to get off unknown to me Cunard put my name down for assistance, I told them I did not need it but their response was we cannot tell you to have it nor can we make you have it we can only suggest you accept it and eventually I gave in and boy was I glad I did. Now going on the QM2 again Cunard already has my name down for assistance and have emailed me a letter saying that they have signed me up for this and told me to take it and show it at the port. I almost feel guilty knowing I can walk. But as I said I am wondering will they leave me off at the entrance or take me to my cabin. One thing for sure Cunard really does take good care of it's passengers.

As I recall passengers embarking disembarking at Southampton have a dedicated "lounge", for disembarkation everyone, assistance passengers and anyone with them in their party, sit in there and wait for the hi-viz staff to collect them. On embarkation the assistance people take you through check in and on board. You need to tell them where you want to go, in my opinion. They are very good.

Regards John

As I recall passengers embarking disembarking at Southampton have a dedicated "lounge", for disembarkation everyone, assistance passengers and anyone with them in their party, sit in there and wait for the hi-viz staff to collect them. On embarkation the assistance people take you through check in and on board. You need to tell them where you want to go, in my opinion. They are very good.

Regards John

I know when they did this when leaving the ship in Brooklyn last year they were great !!

A couple years back my wife was using a cane due to a temporary condition. As soon as we arrived at the Brooklyn terminal for embarkation a person with a wheelchair offered assistance, and we were taken to a dedicated check-in station. The wheelchair attendant pushed the chair all the way to our stateroom. A well-deserved tip was given.

You are probably already aware of this, but just in case I wanted to note that Cunard requires all passengers to pass a "step test" proving they can independently take one step across 18 inches prior to allowing you to tender.

Families should note that according to Cunard's website, children can be carried across this distance by their parents to complete this test. We were incorrectly denied tender tickets and had to appeal to the purser's office since the people running the tender were not aware of Cunard's rule, although the other passengers were very amused watching my 2 year old try to jump across the tape.