Fans and Power Strips

debnrick

I bring both and never have a problem. The reason is because I bring new ones. I go to a discount store and get a box fan for about $11. I get a power cord for less than that. I leave the box fan in the original box, unopened and the power cord with it's original packaging as well. This way, they are both in good condition and I have NEVER had a problem or issue.

I bring both and never have a problem. The reason is because I bring new ones. I go to a discount store and get a box fan for about $11. I get a power cord for less than that. I leave the box fan in the original box, unopened and the power cord with it's original packaging as well. This way, they are both in good condition and I have NEVER had a problem or issue.

Do you do this for every cruise? If so, you must have quite a collection of fans and power strips by now.

Are you allowed to bring personal fans and electric power strips onboard to use in your stateroom?

As long as the power strip is not surge protected, it should be no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Learned very quickly on my 1st cruise in 2001, that I need a fan in the room. Have taken my fan and non surge protector power strip on 37 cruises now. Even took it to Alaska and used it every day. Always carry them on. My sister's was in her checked luggage, and got confiscated on embarkation day and she had to go claim it the last morning...

I bring a small desk-sized box fan on every cruise. I used to bring a non-surge protected power strip too but over the years my charging needs have changed and now I just bring a plug with several USB receptacles.

I bring a small desk-sized box fan on every cruise. I used to bring a non-surge protected power strip too but over the years my charging needs have changed and now I just bring a plug with several USB receptacles.

If that plug is surge protected it could cause problems.

The A/C isn't the problem. Some people like to have a fan blowing air on them while they sleep, as well as having the white noise that a fan makes.

Yep. I need the white noise. The rooms are usually very comfortable temperature-wise.

Is the air conditioning that poor?

In some cases, yes. Carnival adopted an energy saving strategy (revenue increasing strategy) a few years ago. If your cabin is too warm and you report it, the person they send to investigate will tell you as long as the cabin temperature is within THEIR standards they will not do anything. Their threshold seems to be around 78 degrees. If you're happy with that, you're good to go. If not you better plan ahead and bring a fan for cabin use.

Some cabins may be cool enough for your standards and some may not. I've cruised with friends with side-by-side cabins and my cabin has been cool and theirs was not. Cabin temperature can be random and vary greatly.

Edited by winddawn

So are you saying that you can't adjust the thermostat in Carnival cabins?

You can move the thermostat, but it is not uncommon to keep it at the lowest setting during your entire cruise and it can remain too warm to sleep comfortably during your entire cruise.

Do you do this for every cruise? If so, you must have quite a collection of fans and power strips by now.

Yes, I do this for every cruise. I have read on these boards, that there have been times when cruisers have not been allowed to bring one or both, on board. Since my cash output on both is less than $15, often I have left the fan behind in the room. For me, it's worth having a better cruise experience. And we always need power cords. I use a "ton" of them for Christmas decorations.

I have only had one problem with being hot in the cabin. And even though it was only that one time, I decided that having paid a lot of money, taken the time off work, made kid/pet care arrangements and all the other details that go into a cruise, that I wanted it to be as nice an experience as I could plan.