10:50am flight out of Rome. Can we make it?

We are sailing on the Epic 8/29-9/5. We are in the Haven. I know that we can get priority disembarkation. I have read that we can hire a private shuttle to FCO and it is approximately a 45 minute drive. We are scheduled to arrive in Civitavecchia at 6am. Would you do this?

We just flew out of Rome. We stayed an extra night after the cruise. The airport was absolute chaos on a Friday morning. If we didn’t have sky priority with Delta I am pretty sure we would have been running to make our plane (we arrived 2.5 hours before the flight.). Disembarking was super easy from the ship, and then we actually walked to the train. If you paid for private transport directly from the ship remember it is still over an hour drive. I wouldn’t risk a flight before noon.

Last month we disembarked in Rome on a monday morning (on Celebrity) at the new cruise terminal, had reserved private transfer at 8.30 and were curbside at Terminal 1 approx. 9.30.

Even managed to rebook our 12.40 flight (inter Europe, mind that!) to a 10.20. No lines at security and probably just after the morning rush hour were factors that helped a lot despite a walk to the furthest gate LOL. :)

If your airfare allows flight changes (for an acceptable fee) it might be worth the run, you do need to keep moving I think.. :)

Can we make it?

How many times has THAT question been asked? :confused:

Sure, you "can" make it, but will you? Who can predict the future? Just because someone did or did not make it in the past doesn't mean that the same will happen for you.

The real question you have it ask is: What am I going to do (including how much it will cost) if I DON'T make it? Is the risk worth it...to you?

Thanks! We originally had flights on Norwegian Air with plenty of time (6:05pm). They have changed the flights to a charter (Privilege Style) which makes me nervous. We can cancel without penalty. Of course, since I had searched for alternate flights, I keep having ads pop up on my newsfeed with rates from NY-Rome. I can't help clicking on them and found a good deal on United for about the same price. Privilege Style has no Wifi or entertainment which is going to be a big disappointment to my daughter and niece. Oh well.

Can we make it?

How many times has THAT question been asked? :confused:

Sure, you "can" make it, but will you? Who can predict the future? Just because someone did or did not make it in the past doesn't mean that the same will happen for you.

The real question you have it ask is: What am I going to do (including how much it will cost) if I DON'T make it? Is the risk worth it...to you?

Absolutely agree.:) The past has nothing to do with the future.

Some very naive thinking sometimes. Transits, flight loads, TIME is unique. The past never, puts travelers, in a protective bubble- allowing them clear sailing in the future- although some claims as such "I always", I've never" etc. the Red Seas are going to part and let "me" through. :) :) :) It's great when things go smoothly.

I called NCL and the rep asked a supervisor. They said we would be off the ship no later than 8am. (Handicapped, then Haven). If we had a shuttle reserved, we could get there by 8:45-9:00. That is just cutting it too close for me with a 10:50am flight. I will just have to stick with my original flight (and a Xanax!) Thanks!

We are sailing on the Epic 8/29-9/5. We are in the Haven. I know that we can get priority disembarkation. I have read that we can hire a private shuttle to FCO and it is approximately a 45 minute drive. We are scheduled to arrive in Civitavecchia at 6am. Would you do this?

I wouldn't take a chance on it any delay either traffic or getting off the ship and you would miss and if you are flying international you need to be in the airport to check in 3 hours prior the earliest ships usually start disembarking is 7am so unless you are first person off and no traffic delays you wouldn't make it and remember there are always lots of people wanting to be off first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't Rome the alternate disembarkation port? With the Epic I know majority of people get on and off in Barcelona. So I cannot imagine why there would be long line to get off the ship when most people are just going ashore to excursions. I read a recent review of someone who did Epic from Rome and they said getting off was fairly easy to do because of this. They had been assigned a 7:15 departure time. They could have gone earlier if they took their own bags.

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy

I've done that on those timescales, when the entire cruise was disembarking from the Spirit. Epic will have fewer people getting off there, so actually getting off the ship shouldn't be an issue.

I used www.fiumicinoshuttleexpress.com They have special permission to park outside the terminal (regular taxis are outside the port gates) so it was 5 minutes from boarding plank to car and then straight into the airport at top speed. Booking was easy and the car was really nice, with a helpful driver.

Being aware of alternatives in case the worst happens would be sensible though.