Wheelchairs in ports?

Please note that Tallinn has cobblestones, and people with disabilities have specifically reported that this city is more difficult to maneuver than others. Ideally, there might be a pedicab in the port (they were there when we returned, not when we left although we visited on Tallinn Independence day and everything was a little off due to the holiday). Cars are restricted in the Old Town, so you can get a cab to take you to the top of Toompea hill, but I'm not sure how much a cab tour or HOHO bus can help you but it might be better than nothing. We had a 3 year old with a stroller, so my signature review has some information about getting around with limited mobility for a Baltic cruise. Best of luck and hope all goes well.

Stockholm have cobblestones in the streets in the Old Town. Public transport, museums are by law adjusted

to be friendly for people who have disabillities and or in wheel chairs and etc.

HoHo buses/boats are probably not that suitable for a person in a wheel chair.

Rostock will have cobbles as well as Wismar. Warnemunde has a lovely promenade from the port, through the train station and along the canal to the beach. I can't remember if there were a few steps up/down around the lighthouse area.

Can anyone give me information about using a wheelchair in northern european ports?

We're about to embark tomorrow and I'm worried that my wife likely can't walk much at all at the moment.

Hi, Although I have retired (?) from Cruise Critic, as a daily user of a small mobility scooter in Rostock/Warnemünde I feel I must jump in on this one.

Warnemünde

Access to the town and station is good though it takes a bit longer. Just follow the signs along the quay, up the ramp and follow the footpath. When you get to the rubbish bins (!) - for the station turn sharp left along the first line of cars and take the path straight ahead onto the station platforms: - for the town follow the path straight ahead, turn left, then right over the bridge. I agree that the promenade is lovely but to get there with 'wheels' can be a bit fraught. Some of the footpaths along the harbour (it is not a canal by the way) are a bit steep and not very level but worth the effort. There is access to the promenade by a ramp.

If you are going to Rostock by train the other alternative is to turn the opposite way (left) along the road when you leave the ship and take the train from the next station, Warnemünde Werft. This is all new, level and about 10 mins walk from the ship, less if you are berthed on P8.

Rostock.

All Rostock public transport is wheelchair friendly. The main station has elevators to all levels. You can go straight down from the train platform to the tram platform. Please make sure you take the correct elevator marked CITY, it is the one at the furthest end of the platform. The level numbering can be a bit confusing but the tram platform is level -1. (Please note that your ticket covers both train and tram. There is really nothing of interest along the 20min walk into the city centre)

Take tram #4,5 or 6. #4 is usually not so crowded.

Tip - do not get off at the Neuer Markt as the market place is cobbled. Go the the next stop, Lange Str, where you will be in the middle of the pedestrian area.

Rostock does indeed have many cobbled streets but the main city centre is a pedestrian area, smoothly paved with good kerb inclines. Most of the surrounding main streets and green areas have smooth pavements and easy street crossings. You may have to negotiate some small sections of cobbles to access some of the sights but most of these are 'modern' cobbles and not too bad. Even with the small wheels on my scooter I find riding in the city is comfortable. All in all Rostock is very friendly to those of us who need wheels to get around.

I hope it is not too late for the OP who asked this question to read this and that it will help others to enjoy our beautiful and interesting city.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

There are lots of different itineraries for Baltic cruises, so naming the ports of call would be helpful. I've done two Baltic cruises with a wheelchair. It can be difficult, but doable.

Good point.

We've managed to keep my DW off her feet most of the time on the ship so she's attempting to walk in ports.

We're about to do Stockholm, Tallinn, St. Petersburg 3 days in a row though. We'll have to see how that goes.

Good point.

We've managed to keep my DW off her feet most of the time on the ship so she's attempting to walk in ports.

We're about to do Stockholm, Tallinn, St. Petersburg 3 days in a row though. We'll have to see how that goes.

Tallin S a nightmare for anybody with mobility issues. So much so, that we especially chose our recent Baltic cruise itinerary as it didn't visit Tallin.

Most of Stockholm is fairly easy to get around except the old town of Gamla Stan. We purchased a travel card and went everywhere on bus, tram and ferry.

SPB is hit and miss. Considering the number of visitors it could be made much more accessible. We booked a 2 day Comfort Tour with Alla Tours and the guide was very helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums