Cool Cruising

ernieb

We will be departing Venice on October 17 for 12 days to Barcelona. We have never sailed this late and my DW is concerned that the weather will be colder than she would like. Can anyone offer your experience in sailing the Mediterranean this time of year and suggestions for the type of clothes to pack? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be departing Venice on October 17 for 12 days to Barcelona. We have never sailed this late and my DW is concerned that the weather will be colder than she would like. Can anyone offer your experience in sailing the Mediterranean this time of year and suggestions for the type of clothes to pack? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Should be quite pleasant. Highs in low 70’s. https://traveltips.usatoday.com/weather-conditions-cruising-mediterranean-october-106318.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. We have done two Med cruises in October timeframe and the weather was awesome both times. My only regret was not having packed shorts on the first one and missing out on being more comfortable. Enjoy you cruise!

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with last posters. We did a transatlantic cruise in November two years ago and only packed clothing for semi-cold weather. What a mistake. Also wish that we had packed shorts. So, when we leave Barcelona on another transatlantic cruise this coming November, shorts will be in the suitcase as well as an umbrella and a very light jacket.

We had another experience. Sailed from Venice to Rome on 4 November last year. That is a couple of weeks after the date you are sailing though. It rained a great deal. In fact in Venice it rained so heavily that we decided not to do the trip we had planned (to Torcello to have lunch at the Locanda Cipriani). Once we got down the Adriatic the weather cleared a bit but we still had to dodge rainshowers until we were in Corfu. From then to Naples it was great. Naples - poured again.

Mediterranean weather is summed up as "winter rain, summer drought". Hopefully it won't have started raining in mid October but that is the time that the weather here (Switzerland) generally "turns" as well. Be prepared for either nice sunny and warm days OR cooler and wet ones.