Cadiz

Lees Cruisin

Lucky you! It’s one of our favourites

Walk off the ship - you’re there! Beach, Market, Cathedral, Tapas bars, Shops, whatever, all within an easy walk.

There will be Ho-Ho buses at the port gates - so you could take a tour to see the sights and get your bearings, or don’t bother and just walk to whatever you fancy

Look at the Ports of Call section here, look at Whatsinport, google. There’s plenty to see and do - it depends what you are looking for

We went to Cadiz for the first time last year (on Britannia). We had originally intended to do a trip to Seville but changed our minds - and we were glad that we did. It’s a delightful place. You berth right in the centre and we came off the ship and walked straight ahead to some lovely gardens with statues etc. We then turned right and walked a short distance, alongside a city wall, to the waterfront. We turned left and followed the coast for a few miles in an anti-clockwise direction (Cadiz city forms the entirety of a peninsular). It’s a scenic coastal walk but the highlight for us was all the tropical gardens that are just 50 yards inland from the promenade and run parallel to it. They have lovely black and white chequerboard tiling on the paths and there are some spectacular trees, parakeets etc. When you get level with the Cathedral there are public beaches for miles. We turned inland at this point and it was just a 10 minute walk through the lovely old city centre back to the ship. I should say that I was pushing my wife in a wheelchair the whole way, so it’s an easy walk.

I'd also add that the tourist board has produced some circular walks (about 4 I think). They are colour coded and you follow the appropriate coloured line on the pavement around the route. It does become quite faint in places but with their map you can get around and you soon get used to where to look for the line at street corners. I'd agree with the earlier post that the walk through the Botanical Gardens is well worth doing.

If you go again and want to do something different, we caught the train to Jerez, really easy and cheap, about 20 minutes. We then got a taxi to the Spanish riding school, saw the show, looked around and then taxi back to the train station and back to the ship. I think the ship tour to do this is something like £60, we spent about £20 including the show.

Agree with tha above posters, Cadiz is a lovely litttle city. One note of warning however. Some of the smaller shops still close for siesta in the afternoon so if you see something you want to buy do so whilst you can. Don't do as I did and think "I'll get it on the way back to the ship" only to find the shop closed.

A lovely port.

But, been a few times on a Sunday, and it was shut!

If you are going on a Sunday might be worth checking tours to Seville or Santago de Compostela.

Good point -seems to be the same in most places on a Sunday, unlike here in the U.K. where it is no longer a ‘day of rest’ (certainly it isn’t if you work in the service sector!). That said, we didn’t go in any shops or attractions, so the lovely day we had there (as described earlier) could be enjoyed as much on a Sunday as any other day.

A lovely port.

But, been a few times on a Sunday, and it was shut!

If you are going on a Sunday might be worth checking tours to Seville or Santago de Compostela.

Errrr, don't think you mean Santiago de Compostela - that is in the far north of Spain and Cadiz on the south coast :confused:

Errrr, don't think you mean Santiago de Compostela - that is in the far north of Spain and Cadiz on the south coast :confused:

Quite possible. I did that message 'on the hoof'. I'm sure somebody will put me right. 😊

Worst excursion we have ever done. Andulusian Drive. Supposed to see white villages and herds of fighting bulls.

Saw one village on a hill about 2 miles away and one bull high up on another hill, then got to Conil, nothing there except a couple of cafes. Waited three quarters of an hour to use the one loo. Guide was useless too. Waste of time and money.

Take note of the excellent previous suggestions.

When we visit again in October we are going to Jerez to see the horses. Really looking forward to that.

Edited by silversurf
addition

The beach near the port is okay but if you fancy an 8 minute bus ride catch the number 1 opposite the port from Plaza de España to Residencia (near the hospital) as the beach there is much nicer. There is a fixed fare of €1.10 per person per journey. It is also near La Marea restaurant (lamarea.es) which featured on Rick Stein’s Long Weekends TV programme but get there early for lunch as it gets really busy.

All the best

Damian