Will HAL prepare a picnic lunch to take on port days?

SeaWatch

There is not any reason that if I board a ship in Seattle I can not bring along an apple when we dock in Juneau. The ability of some here to create rules that don’t exist is impressive! Of course, follow the guidelines of the ship, ask if you are unsure, and make yourself a sandwich if you’re allowed and you so desire.

Really ?

There is not any reason that if I board a ship in Seattle I can not bring along an apple when we dock in Juneau. The ability of some here to create rules that don’t exist is impressive! Of course, follow the guidelines of the ship, ask if you are unsure, and make yourself a sandwich if you’re allowed and you so desire.

It’s nobody here making these rules. These are well-established government regulations to prevent the spread of disease to both humans and livestock/produce. Try bringing apples into California from Nevada without proper documentation and inspection and just see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OMG-all this from “can I take a picnic lunch off the ship”!

No, it was not just a simple question. It was the degree of entitlement attitude that triggered much of the follow-up discussion. Generation gap perhaps? Old thinking - play for the rules vs. new thinking - rules are for fools. Regardless of age or generation, this always causes onboard tensions in these closed-system environments like cruise ships. Where rules become more important than they might be on land-based private property.

It’s nobody here making these rules. These are well-established government regulations to prevent the spread of disease to both humans and livestock/produce. Try bringing apples into California from Nevada without proper documentation and inspection and just see how it goes.

I'll repeat again that the 'rules' are not monolithic. They are a hodge-podge of local, regional and national regulations and they definitely do differ from place to place.

Many island and/or tropical nations are particularly keen to avoid inadvertent importation of wee organisms that could be dangerous to their economy. Other places do not have the same prohibitions.

Most people cannot be bothered to work out in detail where it's allowed and where it's not allowed to take food off the ship. Clearly, if the ship warns you that it is not okay, you can be sure that it is not. I'd never contravene that. But in other places, it is perfectly legal to do so.

No, it was not just a simple question. It was the degree of entitlement attitude that triggered much of the follow-up discussion. Generation gap perhaps? Old thinking - play for the rules vs. new thinking - rules are for fools. Regardless of age or generation, this always causes onboard tensions in these closed-system environments like cruise ships. Where rules become more important than they might be on land-based private property.

While the generation gap might have had an influence on some posts, I put it down more to a lack of understanding of the underlying reason for the rules than simply an attitude issue. JMO.

I'll repeat again that the 'rules' are not monolithic. They are a hodge-podge of local, regional and national regulations and they definitely do differ from place to place.

Many island and/or tropical nations are particularly keen to avoid inadvertent importation of wee organisms that could be dangerous to their economy. Other places do not have the same prohibitions.

Most people cannot be bothered to work out in detail where it's allowed and where it's not allowed to take food off the ship. Clearly, if the ship warns you that it is not okay, you can be sure that it is not. I'd never contravene that. But in other places, it is perfectly legal to do so.

+1. Agree completely.

While the generation gap might have had an influence on some posts, I put it down more to a lack of understanding of the underlying reason for the rules than simply an attitude issue. JMO.

Exactly!

Many times we have heard the CD state this when he announced that the gangway is open for debarkation. Not all ports have such a law however.

Thanks. One of just a few usable takeaways so far from from this thread.

Does anyone know if the cruise line has a legal responsibility to provide such customs information before debarkation at each port? Or is it ultimately up to us to ask, and possibly research?

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

Thanks. One of just a few usable takeaways so far from from this thread.

Does anyone know if the cruise line has a legal responsibility to provide such customs information before debarkation at each port? Or is it ultimately up to us to ask, and possibly research?

Best to start with the presumption you cannot take non-commerically packaged food stuffs ashore in any port, and look for a specific confirmation that you can. Instead of approaching it the other way around. That seems to be the general approach found if you google this topic - get specific permission up front and assume first you cannot.

Most other bloggers on other forums say they only take pre-packaged goods ashore just to be safe and prepared up front for the worst case scenario.

Best to start with the presumption you cannot take non-commerically packaged food stuffs ashore in any port, and look for a specific confirmation that you can. Instead of approaching it the other way around. That seems to be the general approach found if you google this topic - get specific permission up front and assume first you cannot.

Most other bloggers on other forums say they only take pre-packaged goods ashore just to be safe and prepared up front for the worst case scenario.

Sounds like a worry-free plan. Thank you.

The person did not even mention their itinerary so how could you possibly know the regulations in place?

^^ This is the operative question.

I understand how to follow rules and regulations. There are likely actual established regulations, but anyone one this thread saying they are not permitted to take certain things off the ships is merely speculating as the OP never ever mentioned their itinerary.

I understand how to follow rules and regulations. There are likely actual established regulations, but anyone one this thread saying they are not permitted to take certain things off the ships is merely speculating as the OP never ever mentioned their itinerary.

I think this might misrepresent this discussion. Most responses were qualified and cautionary. Entirely appropriate, regardless of itinerary. Some were defiant and hostile, I'll grant you that. But most demonstrated reasonable caution unless it can be specifically confirmed it is okay.

Just take the pre-made sandwiches from the Lido like we did. They are great sandwiches and no one checks.

Apart from the fact that it may be illegal, why would anybody take one of those awful soggy sandwiches, carry them around all morning and then eat them at lunchtime when it would be even more soggy.

Sounds a bit desperate to me.

Thanks SC. Just curious, I thought it might be fun and save some time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We feel it’s much more fun to avail yourself of the local fare! [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't do it first of all because I don't want to break any laws of a foreign country I am visiting as a guest. I also never want to miss one of the fun things of traveling- getting a real taste of how the locals live and food is an important part of that. A cruise ship sandwich while in Paris, Bermuda, or San Juan? I don't think so!

Exactly!!!

Apart from the fact that it may be illegal, why would anybody take one of those awful soggy sandwiches, carry them around all morning and then eat them at lunchtime when it would be even more soggy.

They’re good sandwiches. Alternatively you can just make one with bread and cheese, both of which are good.

Sadly it can't be done. But it was a good idea.

One time when we knew we were going to spend time at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, we stopped at a store not too far from the dock and bought some bread and cheese and took that with us.

Maybe you can find a store near your dock and pick up a few items to take with you.

It's been a long time since I was at Mendenhall but they used to not allow any food or drink there (except water) because of the bears.

We feel it’s much more fun to avail yourself of the local fare! [emoji39]

Not everyone is near a lovely restaurant at lunchtime. I'm apt to be in the midst of a field of ruins, and might be an hour away from any type of town...

It's also happened that I've gotten an early start in the morning with a private guide, before shops are open.

Not everyone is near a lovely restaurant at lunchtime. I'm apt to be in the midst of a field of ruins, and might be an hour away from any type of town...

It's also happened that I've gotten an early start in the morning with a private guide, before shops are open.

To each their own! [emoji5]