Cruises from NYC

Blondie0428

Not to mention Royal Caribbean sailing the Anthem of the Seas across the river out of Bayonne. Outside of the current summer season, Carnival has certainly been sending it's old ladies out of NYC the last decade.

Royal had it’s stint of older ships when the EOTS was there for years. Bottom line is that they put new ships where. They think they can get the biggest bang for the buck (Horizon cabin prices back this up), it used to be almost always Miami, then Galveston and now it appears they are changing with the Harrison in NY and the Panorama west coast. They also tried the Splendor out of LA a while back as a new ship, but that was a disaster and they had to sail it around SA again to the east coast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That may have been true awhile ago but NCL is now doing Caribbean itineraries from 7 ports: Boston, Miami, New Orleans, New York, Port Canaveral, Tampa & Puerto Rico.

I'd like to try Carnival out of NYC or Cape Liberty but the ships Carnival is sending to the area are not appealing in comparison to NCL's Breakaway/Escape or RCI's Anthem. Also, the fact that NCL's pricing includes a drink package (or another choice) and is on par with Carnival's pricing without a drink package makes it hard to give Carnival a try.

Fair enough, they have expanded. The marketing ploy of free drinks only works as Horizon is commanding such a premium. If Horizon does not do it for you (the newest and best features) then nothing will.

Fair enough, they have expanded. The marketing ploy of free drinks only works as Horizon is commanding such a premium. If Horizon does not do it for you (the newest and best features) then nothing will.

Pricing rules in my world, lol.

Carnival Horizon 9/5/18 8 day cruise for 2 in a balcony is $2538 + drinks package for 2 $960 = $3438 or $215/pp per day

NCL Escape 9/1/18 7 day cruise for 2 in a balcony is $2966 with drink package or $212/pp per day

Horizon cruise would cost more any way you look at it (total or pp/day)

We want to book a Bermuda cruise next Fall out of NYC. The Triumph wasn’t appealing so we were looking at trying the NCL Escape. We were willing to give up Carnival perks to try a new line on a newer ship. BUT since the Triumph will be no more and the Sunrise will be sailing I think we’ll stick with Carnival. Can’t wait to sail from NYC again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We want to book a Bermuda cruise next Fall out of NYC. The Triumph wasn’t appealing so we were looking at trying the NCL Escape. We were willing to give up Carnival perks to try a new line on a newer ship. BUT since the Triumph will be no more and the Sunrise will be sailing I think we’ll stick with Carnival. Can’t wait to sail from NYC again.

I’m interested in Bermuda from NY for next year too. Leaning towards RCL unless Sunrise is renovated and well reviewed before then. None of the dates are perfect for me either. NCL put a crappy itinerary on Bliss so it’s a no go for me.

This year I was completely against Triumph so originally I was going to fly out for a cruise but flight + checked baggage + Uber from airport to port and vice verse ended up being almost the same price as the premium price for Horizon. Incidentals and inconveniences made Horizon my choice.

I’m hoping I enjoy my first Carnival cruise. I had a great time on NCL Breakaway last year but I really didn’t like the food.

I get that they put the best ships where they make the most profit, I just wish there was less of the Bahamas itineraries.

Sailing out of NY is beautiful but it would be even better if they waited until the sun set.

Pricing rules in my world, lol.

Carnival Horizon 9/5/18 8 day cruise for 2 in a balcony is $2538 + drinks package for 2 $960 = $3438 or $215/pp per day

NCL Escape 9/1/18 7 day cruise for 2 in a balcony is $2966 with drink package or $212/pp per day

Horizon cruise would cost more any way you look at it (total or pp/day)

Your post that I quoted...read the last paragraph where you said “other than cheers” you could not consider Horizon compared to Gem which brought my post. I could compare the differences between the two packages and whether that was worth 3 bucks, but I was referencing your comments about Horizon and Gem....the comment still stands that if you prefer the Gem to Horizon, it speaks volumes on your objectivity. Obviously you can choose whatever you want, which in this case appears to be a vastly inferior product, JMHO

I’m interested in Bermuda from NY for next year too. Leaning towards RCL unless Sunrise is renovated and well reviewed before then. None of the dates are perfect for me either. NCL put a crappy itinerary on Bliss so it’s a no go for me.

This year I was completely against Triumph so originally I was going to fly out for a cruise but flight + checked baggage + Uber from airport to port and vice verse ended up being almost the same price as the premium price for Horizon. Incidentals and inconveniences made Horizon my choice.

I’m hoping I enjoy my first Carnival cruise. I had a great time on NCL Breakaway last year but I really didn’t like the food.

I get that they put the best ships where they make the most profit, I just wish there was less of the Bahamas itineraries.

Sailing out of NY is beautiful but it would be even better if they waited until the sun set.

LOL, you can catch sunrise (pun intended) when you return.....

I’ve enjoyed all of my Carnival cruises. They stop sailing to Bermuda in September and switch to New England/ Canada. NCL still has Bermuda cruises in October which is appealing. I guess I’m like you, I’ll see how the Sunrise does when she makes her appearance.

We were delayed leaving NYC last year. It was beautiful as the sun set. We were starting to sail but by the time we were by the Statue of Liberty it was dark. We purposely booked our balcony on the starboard side so as we sailed away we would be right by her. We were late to our steakhouse reservations that night because I wasn’t going to miss the Statue of Liberty.

b388db65c3af2880e1d26ad6cdc746bb.jpg895daa631122c5d36c7f203ee804a1a8.jpgaf8f3e2eb9d9b68ef32e663f15bb5b00.jpgaf04c55535298f9e6cc67392cebb203d.jpgd62bbb78a094355965a33cd4b141e8ed.jpg

Your post that I quoted...read the last paragraph where you said “other than cheers” you could not consider Horizon compared to Gem which brought my post. I could compare the differences between the two packages and whether that was worth 3 bucks, but I was referencing your comments about Horizon and Gem....the comment still stands that if you prefer the Gem to Horizon, it speaks volumes on your objectivity. Obviously you can choose whatever you want, which in this case appears to be a vastly inferior product, JMHO
I think you are combining my posts about NCL having better pricing and bookbug53’s comment about the Gem 😉

I have sailed on the Breakaway and the Escape out NYC. I will also be on the Bliss and maybe the Getaway out of NYC.

The Horizon would need to have better pricing or travel somewhere unique to get my attention since I get loyalty perks at NCL.

I am pretty sure the Triumph, turned Sunrise, is not in the same category as the ships I have been on so far.

I do find your comment that Carnival is a superior product curious since it doesn’t appear to be based on a recent comparison given your Caribbean comment. When was the last time you cruised on each to compare?

Like I said, I would love to try Carnival (RCL and Celebrity too). I am just not willing to pay more for the opportunity. 🙂 Especially when NYC cruises are more expensive to begin with.

I think you are combining my posts about NCL having better pricing and bookbug53’s comment about the Gem [emoji6]

I have sailed on the Breakaway and the Escape out NYC. I will also be on the Bliss and maybe the Getaway out of NYC.

The Horizon would need to have better pricing or travel somewhere unique to get my attention since I get loyalty perks at NCL.

I am pretty sure the Triumph, turned Sunrise, is not in the same category as the ships I have been on so far.

I do find your comment that Carnival is a superior product curious since it doesn’t appear to be based on a recent comparison given your Caribbean comment. When was the last time you cruised on each to compare?

Like I said, I would love to try Carnival (RCL and Celebrity too). I am just not willing to pay more for the opportunity. [emoji846] Especially when NYC cruises are more expensive to begin with.

Correct, I was confusing the two posts. That said, what is it that makes Sunrise an unfair comparison? Horizon is certainly demanding premium pricing now, I cannot argue that. I understand the loyalty perks argument as well. Without scanning back, I really do not remember my Caribbean comment. Not really a fan of line comparisons, but we went and stayed on the Bliss for two nights in New York for their naming ceremony. Certainly there are things on the ship that are unique and a couple we really liked (the observation area for one). That said, I was dismayed at how many opportunities there are to gouge their clients, but to each their own.

I hope you will come back to this thread and tell us about the Horizon if you end up taking that cruise!

Totally agree about the Bahamas itineraries, way too many and they hold zero interest for me. Bermuda in September/October is great as long as you don't have your heart set on beach weather because that can be hit or miss. But I will take Bermuda over the Bahamas any day :D I'm not really interested in the Fall Foliage cruises. I'll let those that don't live in areas with seasons book those, lol

I sail shoulder or off season and have found the January/February 2 week Caribbean cruises to be a perfect way to break up the winter doldrums. They are a splurge so we only go every other year. NCL currently has the only offerings on those out of NY/NJ. RCL has a 12 day but it is just not the same as a full 2 weeks, plus RCL is more expensive. So we will be doing the Bliss in 2020.

The Triumph/Sunrise Panama Canal itinerary does look interesting but the Getaway Transatlantic seems to be a better deal for 2019. I have been wanting to do both of those itineraries, lol, so still debating that in my mind.

what is it that makes Sunrise an unfair comparison?

I wouldn’t compare 4000 passenger ships with a 2750 passenger ship. So, the Horizon would be more along the lines of NCL’s Breakaway/Breakaway Plus ships.

The Sunrise would be closer in size/age to NCL’s Jewel class ships like the Gem.

Comparing the Horizon to the Gem, given their age and size differences, would not make sense to me. Just as comparing the Sunrise to the Escape/Bliss makes no sense for the same reasons.

I wouldn’t compare 4000 passenger ships with a 2750 passenger ship. So, the Horizon would be more along the lines of NCL’s Breakaway/Breakaway Plus ships.

The Sunrise would be closer in size/age to NCL’s Jewel class ships like the Gem.

Comparing the Horizon to the Gem, given their age and size differences, would not make sense to me. Just as comparing the Sunrise to the Escape/Bliss makes no sense for the same reasons.

Without getting to deep in it, is the newness of the ship the biggest factor or the features?

Edited by jimbo5544

Without getting to deep in it, is the newness of the ship the biggest factor of the features?

Ship size and age are both a consideration along with pricing and itinerary.

I admit that I have been gravitating towards the newer, larger ships. Maybe as I get older, the smaller ships will be more appealing :D

Ship size and age are both a consideration along with pricing and itinerary.

I admit that I have been gravitating towards the newer, larger ships. Maybe as I get older, the smaller ships will be more appealing :D

We all have our preferences...... happy sailing

Funny some one mentioned getting ups early to watch the sunrise.

One of our first cruises, a Canada out of NY, I did just that. I am an avid photographer and years back, I woke up early because I wanted to capture a pix of the sun rising between the WTC's two towers. I got magnificent pixs of this. Two days later they were gone. I was using film for those pix and I kept that film in my camera for almost a year before I had it developed, really some amazing shots, but who was to know no one would ever be able to do that again.

Cheers

Len

Funny some one mentioned getting ups early to watch the sunrise.

One of our first cruises, a Canada out of NY, I did just that. I am an avid photographer and years back, I woke up early because I wanted to capture a pix of the sun rising between the WTC's two towers. I got magnificent pixs of this. Two days later they were gone. I was using film for those pix and I kept that film in my camera for almost a year before I had it developed, really some amazing shots, but who was to know no one would ever be able to do that again.

Cheers

Len

I would love to see those pics....

I would love to see those pics....

Sadly, I loaned them to a friend who said maybe he could get them published in a magazine and they got destroyed in a fire. Since they were film, I searched high and low for the negatives, but to this day, I haven't found them.

Cheers

Len

Sadly, I loaned them to a friend who said maybe he could get them published in a magazine and they got destroyed in a fire. Since they were film, I searched high and low for the negatives, but to this day, I haven't found them.

Cheers

Len

Understand, thanks for the reply.

I am looking into booking a cruise in June or July of 2019 and my family wanted to depart from NYC. When I do a search for it on the Carnival website NYC cruises are not available after September of this year. Is Carnival not going to be sailing out of NYC anymore?

Sent you a friend request

• 1 month later...