Celebrity Equinox Western Caribbean Review - 7/14 - 7/21/18

We recently returned from our first Celebrity cruise experience on the Equinox to the Eastern Caribbean with stops in Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. We have cruised before on several lines including Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Princess; however, we were looking to try something different, thus, the selection of the Equinox.

I will put things into categories for ease in reading. Please feel free to ask if you have questions that are not covered in this post.

Background: We are mid-40 somethings, no children (except an 80 pound German Shepherd) and live in Northern Kentucky, near Cincinnati. We traveled with two other couples on this trip.

Miami: We flew into Miami on Thursday with the cruise leaving on Saturday. We stayed at the Atton Miami Brickell. It is a newer, trendy hotel in a decent location; although not on Miami Beach. There is shopping within walking distance, along with a liquor store which made picking up our wine for the ship easy!

We had two very nice dinners. The first, was at Prime 112 which is on South Beach. The atmosphere is awesome and we enjoyed a nice, relaxing dinner outside. The portions are huge! We split everything and will definitely visit again. On Friday, we ate at the Rusty Pelican. AMAZING! Great atmosphere, location, service and food. Loved it!

Embarkation: Each couple take an Uber to the port as we were leaving at separate times. We left the hotel at 10 AM, stopped for a quick purchase (we forgot the lids to our Yetis) and were on the ship by 11. Embarkation was super easy! We enjoyed the champagne once on board and went the Concierge lunch. It was so relaxing to not have to fight the crowds at the buffet on day 1.

Room: We chose room 2106 on the 12th deck, the same as the pool. This is a Concierge cabin, "on the hump" with a deep balcony. One couple we traveled with had cabin 2108. We had the balcony opened so we could have more space. The cabin was spacious with plenty of storage room. The location is the BEST! Less than 20 steps to the pool and one level up to the buffet. We were not bothered by any noises from the buffet. For all cruises going forward, we will be on the same deck as the pool for convenience.

Drink Package and Specialty Dining: We had the Ultimate Drink Package as part of the Go Best Package. Trust me when I say that we more than got our money's worth from the package. Additionally, once on board, we purchased the 3 night speciality dining package for $109 pp and it was worth it. Our favorite restaurant was Murano. The presentation of the food was exquisite. I would have eaten there again if we had more nights. :)

Service: OUTSTANDING! Our Room Steward was Prince and he was fantastic! We requested a few things and he delivered. Everything was top notch and we really enjoyed talking to Prince. He is newer to the ship and will be there through December. As we left, he told us we were "the nicest people he had met on the ship". For me, one of the best parts of a cruise is talking with members of the crew and learning more about them. Taz and Jose were bartenders at the Sunset Bar. They were funny, whitty and always smiling. And, the drinks were always great! Jorge and Sadie were pool waiters and always brought me my next dose of "medicine" (aka Tito's and cranberry). If there is one thing negative, it is the pool bar itself. It was hard to get service.

Ports of Call:

Key West: We did the HOHO tour in Key West which goes to the usual tourist spots. After a picture at the Southern Most Point, we split up. Our friends went to the Hemingway House while we visited the Catholic Church and went to Mass. Whether you are Catholic or not, read more about the church and the grotto the sisters created to protect the island from a devastating hurricane. Key West has not endured a category 3 or higher hurricane since. It was beautiful and I admit, I was a little emotional standing at the statue of Mary in the grotto. Just an experience.

After Mass, where else do you go but Margaritaville? We are avid Jimmy Buffett fans so, this was a must stop. In fact, Tuesday, the week before, Jimmy was in Cincinnati and we were in line to tailgate at 4:38...AM for an 8 PM show. :D:) We did not eat or drink but did a little shopping then continued our journey to Captain Tony's. I mean, Jimmy did "Go down to Captain Tony's to get out of the heat". We had a few drinks there. I could see spending hours there and stumbling back to the ship. Prior to getting back on board, we did have Kermit's Key Lime Pie. OMG. That's all I have to say.

Costa Maya: Our friends did a ruins tour but the hubs and I stayed on board and the ship was empty, just the way we like it. We treated ourselves to a couples massage and it was so relaxing. In fact, we enjoyed it so much, we went back the following day. In the morning, we were by the pool, then, after the massage, we were in the solarium which, quite frankly, is just heaven on a cruise ship.

Cozumel: Three of us went to the Paradise Beach Club. Admission was $3. Great pool, beach, drinks and food. We would visit here again. Hidden little gem! The only negative was the Allure of the Seas was in port and so were all of the kids from it. It's annoying when people are jumping and splashing in the pool when you are just trying to get your drink on. Note: I have nothing against kids. I do have something against parents allowing their children to act like fools in a pool.

Grand Cayman: The six of us chartered a sailboat with a Captain for the day. Best experience of the cruise. It was relaxing and calm. He took us to see some stingrays and for snorkeling and they were away from all of the tourists. The trip was so great that we added an additional hour to our charter. I highly recommend chartering Splendour in the Wind through Sail Cayman. It was worth the splurge.

Synopsis: We are sold on Celebrity! The service, the food, the special touches are exactly what we have been looking for. Everything was top notch. The crew was so friendly and everyone was smiling. For me, the best cruise I have been on and we have been on about 10 cruises in total. Until Celebrity, the service on Princess was the best; however, we aren't the target audience due to our age. I feel like Celebrity is our niche for our age. Oh, I almost forgot the silent disco. THE BEST! I had such a great time. I woke up wondering why my throat and legs hurt until I saw the video my husband took. :)

Go on the Equinox! Book a cabin on deck 12! Be lucky enough to get Prince as your Room Steward! Go to the Silent Disco, even if you don't want to! Charter a sailboat in Grand Cayman!

Our next goal is to be lucky enough to be on a ship with Captain Kate! Cheers to booking a trip in 2019!

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Whoops friends. Clearly we went to the Western Caribbean. I apologize for the confusion.

If you click on the triangle with an exclamation mark in the header of your first post, you can bring this to the attention of an admin and they should be able to rename the title of this thread.

We recently returned from our first Celebrity cruise experience on the Equinox to the Eastern Caribbean with stops in Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. We have cruised before on several lines including Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Princess; however, we were looking to try something different, thus, the selection of the Equinox.

I will put things into categories for ease in reading. Please feel free to ask if you have questions that are not covered in this post.

Background: We are mid-40 somethings, no children (except an 80 pound German Shepherd) and live in Northern Kentucky, near Cincinnati. We traveled with two other couples on this trip.

Miami: We flew into Miami on Thursday with the cruise leaving on Saturday. We stayed at the Atton Miami Brickell. It is a newer, trendy hotel in a decent location; although not on Miami Beach. There is shopping within walking distance, along with a liquor store which made picking up our wine for the ship easy!

We had two very nice dinners. The first, was at Prime 112 which is on South Beach. The atmosphere is awesome and we enjoyed a nice, relaxing dinner outside. The portions are huge! We split everything and will definitely visit again. On Friday, we ate at the Rusty Pelican. AMAZING! Great atmosphere, location, service and food. Loved it!

Embarkation: Each couple take an Uber to the port as we were leaving at separate times. We left the hotel at 10 AM, stopped for a quick purchase (we forgot the lids to our Yetis) and were on the ship by 11. Embarkation was super easy! We enjoyed the champagne once on board and went the Concierge lunch. It was so relaxing to not have to fight the crowds at the buffet on day 1.

Room: We chose room 2106 on the 12th deck, the same as the pool. This is a Concierge cabin, "on the hump" with a deep balcony. One couple we traveled with had cabin 2108. We had the balcony opened so we could have more space. The cabin was spacious with plenty of storage room. The location is the BEST! Less than 20 steps to the pool and one level up to the buffet. We were not bothered by any noises from the buffet. For all cruises going forward, we will be on the same deck as the pool for convenience.

Drink Package and Specialty Dining: We had the Ultimate Drink Package as part of the Go Best Package. Trust me when I say that we more than got our money's worth from the package. Additionally, once on board, we purchased the 3 night speciality dining package for $109 pp and it was worth it. Our favorite restaurant was Murano. The presentation of the food was exquisite. I would have eaten there again if we had more nights. :)

Service: OUTSTANDING! Our Room Steward was Prince and he was fantastic! We requested a few things and he delivered. Everything was top notch and we really enjoyed talking to Prince. He is newer to the ship and will be there through December. As we left, he told us we were "the nicest people he had met on the ship". For me, one of the best parts of a cruise is talking with members of the crew and learning more about them. Taz and Jose were bartenders at the Sunset Bar. They were funny, whitty and always smiling. And, the drinks were always great! Jorge and Sadie were pool waiters and always brought me my next dose of "medicine" (aka Tito's and cranberry). If there is one thing negative, it is the pool bar itself. It was hard to get service.

Ports of Call:

Key West: We did the HOHO tour in Key West which goes to the usual tourist spots. After a picture at the Southern Most Point, we split up. Our friends went to the Hemingway House while we visited the Catholic Church and went to Mass. Whether you are Catholic or not, read more about the church and the grotto the sisters created to protect the island from a devastating hurricane. Key West has not endured a category 3 or higher hurricane since. It was beautiful and I admit, I was a little emotional standing at the statue of Mary in the grotto. Just an experience.

After Mass, where else do you go but Margaritaville? We are avid Jimmy Buffett fans so, this was a must stop. In fact, Tuesday, the week before, Jimmy was in Cincinnati and we were in line to tailgate at 4:38...AM for an 8 PM show. :D:) We did not eat or drink but did a little shopping then continued our journey to Captain Tony's. I mean, Jimmy did "Go down to Captain Tony's to get out of the heat". We had a few drinks there. I could see spending hours there and stumbling back to the ship. Prior to getting back on board, we did have Kermit's Key Lime Pie. OMG. That's all I have to say.

Costa Maya: Our friends did a ruins tour but the hubs and I stayed on board and the ship was empty, just the way we like it. We treated ourselves to a couples massage and it was so relaxing. In fact, we enjoyed it so much, we went back the following day. In the morning, we were by the pool, then, after the massage, we were in the solarium which, quite frankly, is just heaven on a cruise ship.

Cozumel: Three of us went to the Paradise Beach Club. Admission was $3. Great pool, beach, drinks and food. We would visit here again. Hidden little gem! The only negative was the Allure of the Seas was in port and so were all of the kids from it. It's annoying when people are jumping and splashing in the pool when you are just trying to get your drink on. Note: I have nothing against kids. I do have something against parents allowing their children to act like fools in a pool.

Grand Cayman: The six of us chartered a sailboat with a Captain for the day. Best experience of the cruise. It was relaxing and calm. He took us to see some stingrays and for snorkeling and they were away from all of the tourists. The trip was so great that we added an additional hour to our charter. I highly recommend chartering Splendour in the Wind through Sail Cayman. It was worth the splurge.

Synopsis: We are sold on Celebrity! The service, the food, the special touches are exactly what we have been looking for. Everything was top notch. The crew was so friendly and everyone was smiling. For me, the best cruise I have been on and we have been on about 10 cruises in total. Until Celebrity, the service on Princess was the best; however, we aren't the target audience due to our age. I feel like Celebrity is our niche for our age. Oh, I almost forgot the silent disco. THE BEST! I had such a great time. I woke up wondering why my throat and legs hurt until I saw the video my husband took. :)

Go on the Equinox! Book a cabin on deck 12! Be lucky enough to get Prince as your Room Steward! Go to the Silent Disco, even if you don't want to! Charter a sailboat in Grand Cayman!

Our next goal is to be lucky enough to be on a ship with Captain Kate! Cheers to booking a trip in 2019!

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Big Buffett fans ourselves. I always listen to “ Far Side of the World” on our balcony on embarkation nights to remind me how lucky we’ve been

to be able to travel to all the places we’ve seen. We live in Naples and have heard there will be a new Margaritaville Resort coming to nearby Ft. Myers. Looking forward to our 9/14 Equinox Southern Caribbean itinerary and thanks for your great report.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you click on the triangle with an exclamation mark in the header of your first post, you can bring this to the attention of an admin and they should be able to rename the title of this thread.

The title has been corrected.

Thank you for your comments we are looking forward to our trip on Equinox in October.

Just a quick question!!! When is captain Kate back on board?