Country House Hotels near Southampton

Eglesbrech

We normally arrive quite late at Southampton the day before a cruise so just book a hotel in the centre and order room service. I searched and there was a good thread on here earlier this year with practical hotels for this kind of stay but this time I am looking for something different.

We are coming down in August but will be there much earlier in the day so I was looking for recommendations for a nice country house hotel with good food not too far out of the city. Something perhaps with a bit of local character.

I have looked at a couple on line but the reviews were not that great so personal local knowledge is probably better for a steer in the right direction.

Any suggestions?

We normally arrive quite late at Southampton the day before a cruise so just book a hotel in the centre and order room service. I searched and there was a good thread on here earlier this year with practical hotels for this kind of stay but this time I am looking for something different.

We are coming down in August but will be there much earlier in the day so I was looking for recommendations for a nice country house hotel with good food not too far out of the city. Something perhaps with a bit of local character.

I have looked at a couple on line but the reviews were not that great so personal local knowledge is probably better for a steer in the right direction.

Any suggestions?

We now stay at the Harbour Hotel in Ocean Village. Not a country house but excellent with two good restaurants especially if you like seafood. Within 5/10 minutes walk there are another 10or so restaurants they have valet parking and do park the car for the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can recommend the Botleigh Grange Hotel, Hedge End, Southampton. It can be a bit expensive but price comparison sites do bring the price down a fair bit. I have never stayed as I live barely two miles away but family members have over the years.

Edited by Strawberry field

Lainston House, the other side of Winchester. Or New Forest - Pig, Carey's Manor, Stanwell House, Lime Wood, Montagu Arms, Chewton Glen. However in summer I do not recommend going anywhere near Lyndhurst or anywhere where you have to drive through Lyndhurst as the traffic is horrendous ( 2 hour tail backs). Vineyard or Donnington near Newbury.. Hope you find something nice

Any suggestions?

Chilworth Manor is a good bet. It is Best Western but in a nice setting and easy access to the port. Food has always been good. There are some lovely hotels in the New Forest, but it can be a pig of a journey getting back in to town, Chilworth Manor will take about 15 mins.

The Montagu Arms do a cruise special. One night prior to departure, leave car there and they take you to the ship and pick you up on your return. Used to have a Michelin star so food is excellent. Only down side is the price. No getting away from it, it is not cheap. But We use it every time.

Lovely setting too in the New Forest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We use Chilworth Manor and usually book the package including dinner and cruise parking. They arrange a taxi to the port. We’ve enjoyed it there, staff are friendly. If stairs are a concern check the room they allocate has lift access, not all do.

We use Chilworth Manor and usually book the package including dinner and cruise parking. They arrange a taxi to the port. We’ve enjoyed it there, staff are friendly. If stairs are a concern check the room they allocate has lift access, not all do.

We have stayed at Chilworth Manor many times pre cruise but have never considered booking the cruise parking package. Where do you leave your car during the cruise is it on normal hotel car park or is there a special area where you leave it.

Majortom, for a cruise package you are asked to leave your car where there was a tennis court. To the rear of the hotel. We unload the luggage then take the car round. Taxi will take you right to the car on return if you ask the driver. In the morning we put our overnight bag in the boot before enjoying breakfast. Depending on the boarding time a late checkout is possible, usually we sit in the lounge, drink coffee and read the paper. The receptionist will bring cases from the hotel store before the taxi arrives. It’s worked for us on five occasions now.