US DOLLARS accepted in Bermuda

GMomKassie

Yes. (1:1 conversion)

In fact, many of the larger shops will have 2 separate cash register drawers, 1 for US$ & the other for BDA$.

Most places will try to give you change in whichever one you pay with.

Just curious.... as to why someone expects other countries to accept $$US. If you had a business and someone from, in this case Bermuda, came into your business while on vacation, and wanted to pay in their currency, would you accept it? It just seems logical to me to pay in the local currency.

I know border cities in Mexico/Canada usually accept either, but that is because its easy for them to cross back and forth to exchange. But at the same time, while we were visiting Niagara Falls, the shops on the Canada side gladly took either/or but the folks on the US side...got quite insulted and rude when you tried to pay with Canadian$. Why would anyone expect a country that doesn't share our border to accept our money??

Just curious.... as to why someone expects other countries to accept $$US. If you had a business and someone from, in this case Bermuda, came into your business while on vacation, and wanted to pay in their currency, would you accept it? It just seems logical to me to pay in the local currency.

I know border cities in Mexico/Canada usually accept either, but that is because its easy for them to cross back and forth to exchange. But at the same time, while we were visiting Niagara Falls, the shops on the Canada side gladly took either/or but the folks on the US side...got quite insulted and rude when you tried to pay with Canadian$. Why would anyone expect a country that doesn't share our border to accept our money??

Because USD are a world wide standard. Many businesses in foreign countries and the countries themselves(Iran took 4 billion USD, they hate us and didn't complain) would be glad to take USD and salt them away, just like buying gold. I'm not really in a hurry to stash any Mexican currency. Sorry if PC incorrect.

Edited by bones774

Because in cruise ship tourism, most port stops are a matter of hours. The local port and merchants want those cruise ship visitors off the ship and shopping and spending just as quick as possible. They are therefore delighted to take the quickest and most immediate form of payment to get those visitors spending as quick as possible. Time spend going through money exchange is non productive shopping time. After the ship and the tourist depart, the merchants have plenty of time to do the money exchange then. Now....if traveling inland away from tourist areas or spending considerable time in a country, yea, local currency. Bermuda doesn't care. Their currency is tied in value to US currency.

There's a charity box set up where you pass through the building on your way to reboard the ship so you can donate any local currency/change you end up with when you are leaving for the last time.

I never saw that, great idea. I would definitely do it in a place like Bermuda where everything seems on the up and up, i'd think twice in some sketchier ports. I have handed off to some local children just before getting back on ship, that's not easy all the time because then they don't leave you alone.

BDA$ is pegged to the US$ at 1:1, so they are functionally equivalent. Also the US is a reserve currency for the world and the US$ is widely accepted and used. The small, tourist heavy, destinations near the US are all very likely to take tourists' US$'s.

They should not expect it. Bermuda is a special case as the Bermuda currency is pegged to the US dollar. The US dollar is accepted everywhere in Bermuda. You don't want to exchange dollars for Bermudian currency as you won't be able to exchange it back. It is even suggested that visitors to Bermuda from Canada, Europe obtain USD if they plan to use cash in Bermuda.

Also

Cruise ports are especially USD friendly because people just don't arrive ready with local currency... and there are rarely currency change services dockside like you find in airport arrival areas. Many merchants would rather have cash than pay the credit card %, even if they have to exchange the USD later.

Have you tried to get foreign currency at your bank lately? Nobody stocks any. You have to order ahead, we were quoted a minimum of $100 (might have been more) and a hefty fee of almost 20%. I now use my ATM card to get local currency when necessary or hope they accept USD!

Also

Cruise ports are especially USD friendly because people just don't arrive ready with local currency... and there are rarely currency change services dockside like you find in airport arrival areas. Many merchants would rather have cash than pay the credit card %, even if they have to exchange the USD later.

Have you tried to get foreign currency at your bank lately? Nobody stocks any. You have to order ahead, we were quoted a minimum of $100 (might have been more) and a hefty fee of almost 20%. I now use my ATM card to get local currency when necessary or hope they accept USD!

In the Caribbean many cruise ports accept US dollars. Outside the Caribbean, not very much.

I always use an ATM Card if I need local currency. My bank does not have good exchange rates. Now a days in many countries I don’t get any cash. I was in the UK for a week last year and used credit cards with no foreign currency fees for everything. Didn’t end up needing or getting any UK currency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk