Northwest Airlines Lastest News

Deb&Bert

I have been looking for a decent price for air from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale

4/14 to 4/23. Booked on the Liberty but NW prices are about $550-$650pp The airfare is almost as must as the 8 day cruise. Other carriers are not too much better. Any suggestions?

We're leaving this Friday for MIA and a week on Triumph. I started checking flights last July & kept checking once or twice a day till I found a decent price in August (282.pp). Before & after we booked the prices were all over the place. You are flying "peak" so you may not get as good a price but keep checking daily. Hopefully, a good price will eventually pop up but not for long so grab it.

By the way, have you checked Spirit Airline?

I have been looking for a decent price for air from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale

4/14 to 4/23. Booked on the Liberty but NW prices are about $550-$650pp The airfare is almost as must as the 8 day cruise. Other carriers are not too much better. Any suggestions?

JUst checked some sites for you-seems a bit early for that time frame....maybe I am wrong but the deals for our time (Early march) just started, so maybe wait a week or two. Also you can sign up for fare-watcher alerts to come in to you by email- I use a variety of airports including dtw and flint. I use Travelocity and also when I checked tonight Orbitz had a few deals....also check midwest and AirTran and Spirit...Good luck!

JUst checked some sites for you-seems a bit early for that time frame....maybe I am wrong but the deals for our time (Early march) just started, so maybe wait a week or two. Also you can sign up for fare-watcher alerts to come in to you by email- I use a variety of airports including dtw and flint. I use Travelocity and also when I checked tonight Orbitz had a few deals....also check midwest and AirTran and Spirit...Good luck!

Thanks for trying. I am aprehensive about waiting too long for fear I will have paid for the cruise (final payment due in 10 days) and not be able to get a flight for me & family. I have been using bookingbuddy as my starting point and have been checking for the last month and the prices have actually been going up. Is there some point before the flight that airlines reduce the price? I have cruised at Easter out of Houston and Canaveral and never had to pay such high prices. Maybe I should try a different cruise from one of those ports. The airfare is hundreds pp less.

Thanks for trying. I am aprehensive about waiting too long for fear I will have paid for the cruise (final payment due in 10 days) and not be able to get a flight for me & family. I have been using bookingbuddy as my starting point and have been checking for the last month and the prices have actually been going up. Is there some point before the flight that airlines reduce the price? I have cruised at Easter out of Houston and Canaveral and never had to pay such high prices. Maybe I should try a different cruise from one of those ports. The airfare is hundreds pp less.

Miami does tend to be very high priced except during the summer or early fall. We were really surprised. It was going to take us 50,000 NW airmiles so we decided to pay cash & save our miles for something else.

I don't think anyone knows for sure what will happen, but I heard that nothing will be done until AFTER the Superbowl that's coming to Detroit.

If Nortwest strikes, they would probably go into liquidation since they have already filed for bankruptcy. I guess I can say good-bye to my tickets and my money. Let's hope for the best, no one wants to see an entire company go under and thousands of people lose their jobs.

We flew on NW to FLL January 2nd for our cruise - no problems. However thought I would let people know they charge $1.00 for a small package of trail mix - no free peanuts. You can also buy a snack box for $3.00 or a sandwich for $5.00 on some flights. I just couldn't believe they charge for trail mix! Guess it is their way to help generate income. I did read American will start charging for soda on some flights.

This really isn't a big deal to me as long as I get where I am going safely.

I usually take bottled water and my own snacks.

Just was on NW Detroit-LA. Great crews both ways. Snagged exit rows both ways (16C on the 757 rocks LOL). The $3 snack box looked pretty good from what I saw across the aisle. I thought of grabbing one for the drive home after the flight LOL. But feel free to bring your own snacks on. I watched people carrying on Quiznos subs and Burger King bags from in the airport.

The report I just saw on flyertalk was that the union leadership has authorized a vote, not that one has taken place yet. And even if it does take place, it doesn't mean there will be one. Almost every union organization does a strike vote when negotiations happen, and almost every time it is a strong strike mandate, for negotiating purposes. The vast majority of positive strike votes never turn into a strike.

I would say that's even more true when you are making $125-$250k per year and the prospects of your employer closing up shop immediately after you go on strike are high, and there aren't a ton of other opportunities to make that kind of money out there. But strange things happen in lobor relations, especially under bankruptcy.

I hope I'm not totally in the wrong place here but ........

Booked cruise and air through Carnival for cruise on 04/23. Have not yet made final payment (due today). What if we wanted to cancel our flight through Carnival and book on our own. Would that have to be done before final payment is made, or can it be done afterward?

The reason we booked the air through Carnival is that this year we don't have the opportunity to fly the day before. My thought was that if we booked the air through Carnival and the flight was delayed there might be less hassle getting to the ship.

But, basically the question is, if I find a cheaper flight than what was quoted by Carnival can I/should I cancel the flight booked with Carnival.

THIS IS ALL SO CONFUSING!!!:(

habby, I beleive once you make final payment, you are stuck with the arrangements they make. I don't beleive you can cancel cruise air after final payment, since the cruise line will go ahead in the next few days and book your flights.

habby, I beleive once you make final payment, you are stuck with the arrangements they make. I don't beleive you can cancel cruise air after final payment, since the cruise line will go ahead in the next few days and book your flights.

Thank you for your response.

I read this yesterday:

"Pilots at Northwest Airlines will start voting on Monday on whether to allow their union leaders to call a strike if the bankrupt carrier throws out their contract, the labor group said on Friday."

I'm still hoping it doensn't happen.

I have been trying to keep up with Delta and the strike possibility. I found good news and bad news in the same newspaper clip. We are flying on Comair flights to and from out cruise on the Victory in April. The good news if you can call it that is ....

Comair plans to continue flying its normal routes should Delta pilots strike as threatened, Moser said, assuming its pilots will not walk out in sympathy with Delta's.

Comair pilots have separate contract from Delta's.

So that sounds like good news but, in the same article....

With little headway being made at the negotiating table, Comair has told its flight attendants that it might ask a bankruptcy judge next week to void the carrier's contract with them so it can unilaterally cut their wages and benefits by $8.9 million.

The flight attendants union is leaving open its option to strike if Comair carries out that threat.

What happens to my 1000 dollars if Delta strikes?

Anybody started pricing Greyhound yet?....trains?

Archived