Northwest Airlines Lastest News

Deb&Bert

I wanted to clarify that last statement. The article says they have authorized a strike.

"The pilots union at Northwest Airlines Corp. said Tuesday that its members have authorized a strike if the carrier imposes its threatened pay-cut and work-rule changes."

Pilot/FA Strike Timeline Thread

Labor Union Strike Vote Status

ALPA-Pilots: Strike authorized 2/28/06. Strike manual issued.

PFAA-FA's: Strike voting underway, concludes 3/6/06.

Strike Timeline

3/1/06-Deadline 11am EST/10am CST: Judge can terminate union contracts, possible pilot strike. Also possible extension for negotiation. Related Star Tribune Article

3/6/06-Flight Attendant Strike Voting concludes, possible FA strike if authorized and contracts negated.

As always, NW contends that any strike without a 30-day cooling off period would violate the Railway Labor Act, and also be in direct contempt of court.

The company has promised to file an injunction to require union members to return to work in case of an illegal strike.

Misc.

NW Pilots are holding informational picketing in MSP, DTW, MEM, and SEA.

Links

Star Tribune NW Labor Coverage

Detroit Free Press NW Labor Coverage

please keep these updates coming. i have tickets on nw for march 29 and again in sept. since i work 2nd shift i rely on all of you infomative and knowledgeable members to keep me '' in-the-know ''' about events such as this. good or bad i want to know what is happening :confused: .

thanks

Ok I am worried, I leave March 25, 2006 for my cruise on March 26, 2006, I fly out on NWA and Back on Delta both which have threatened to strike, If either one of these carriers strike, and it being spring break what are my chances of getting a flight, coming home right now I am not worried about but I don't want to miss that ship.

I'm a NWA flight attendant.... I fly out this Saturday to catch a Princess cruise. Trust me, I have been so nervous about this.... I just got the e-mail from my union that we (the flight attendants only) have reached a tenative agreement and the pilots are not far behind. I finally feel like I can breathe and be excited about my cruise! Mexico...here I come!

Skygirl, I just want to say to you on behalf of your colleagues, that in spite of the stress and worry you guys have been under, the in-flight staff on my flights (DTW-LAX and return) to and from our cruise in January were great. Smiles and great customer service were in abundance. Hope everything works out for you.

We fly to Miami on N.W. on March 26 for our March 27 cruise. We fly home on N.W. on April 7

I am also flying to Chicago on N.W. on March 18 & come home the next day.

CrusinMatt - How do you book refundable tickets? Do you call the airline? We do our bookings online. I don't remember having refundable tickets before, but it might be something we should check into.

Gail

CrusinMatt - How do you book refundable tickets? Do you call the airline? We do our bookings online. I don't remember having refundable tickets before, but it might be something we should check into.

Gail

Wherever you book your tickets online, you should be able to select "refundable fares" in the search. Keep in mind they will be higher fares but at least we will get the $ back 100% if we don't use them. In my case I bought my air right from the airline website.

This was posted in the online version of the Minneapolis StarTribune newspaper this evening. You can go to the paper's site for more updates at http://www.startribune.com but you have to register to read anything.

Q What if Northwest Airlines' pilots strike?

A An overwhelming majority of NWA pilots have authorized a strike if the airline follows through with its pay cut and other workplace changes. Today, a bankruptcy judge is expected to rule on the company's request to void the flight attendants' and pilots' labor contracts. If the judge throws out the pilots' contract and the union strikes, Northwest would try to block the strike.

But it's unlikely that the pilots would go on strike immediately after a judge's order. A waiting period of five to seven days is common, said Terry Zats, owner of Carlson Companies franchise Village Travel in St. Paul. He's seen his share of strikes during his 27 years in the business.

Q What happens if I have a flight booked on Northwest Airlines?

A Travel agents will try to honor your booking and find you a new flight where seats are available, Zats said.

Even so, "there's just not enough empty seats to put everybody" on other flights, said John Rose, president of Marathon Travel in Stevens Point, Wis. Travelers won't be out of luck, but they probably won't get where they want to be on time, he said.

Q Can I get a refund?

A Northwest's responsibility is to refund the unused portion of the ticket, even if it's a nonrefundable one, provided you can't fly through no fault of your own.

If you're having trouble getting a refund from the airline and you paid with a credit card, your refund is protected by federal credit laws. Write to your credit card company within 60 days of the first monthly statement showing the charge for the airline ticket and the card company should credit your account even if the airline doesn't, according to the Department of Transportation's Aviation Consumer Protection's website (http://airconsumer .ost.dot.gov).

Q Can I fly on another airline using my Northwest ticket?

A Check with Northwest's partner airlines American, Continental, Delta, Hawaiian or KLM first, although changing your ticket to one of these airlines could cost you.

During past strikes, other carriers have also honored Northwest tickets, depending on availability. Expect it to cost you $50 each way.

Q Is my winter getaway package safe?

A You may get to your destination later. A disappointment, but not a disaster, unless, say, your destination is a cruise ship. If you purchased your airfare separately and your ship sails within two to three weeks of the strike's start, it may be wise to look into a new flight, Rose said. If it's part of a package, whoever sold you the package should take care of it.

Q What about travel insurance?

A If you purchased travel insurance before the pilots' vote authorizing a strike, then your ticket should be safe. "If you went out and said, 'Wow, I'm concerned, I'm going to buy travel insurance now, just in case there's a strike,' well, that doesn't fly," said Dan McGinnity, vice president of Travel Guard trip insurance.

Q What if I'm planning a vacation and want to fly Northwest?

A Rose and Zats are confident that a pilot strike won't happen. "There's too much to lose for the public, airline employees and the Twin Cities area," Zats said.

The fact that the carrier is in bankruptcy makes the chance of a strike even less likely, Rose said. Is he still booking Northwest flights for their customers? "Absolutely," he said.

GOOD NEWS!!!! Just hung up the phone w/NWA and there will be NO STRIKE!!! As of 3:00pm today (3/3/06) the pilots came to a tenative agreement on the contract. According to the girl I spoke to, they have been behind closed doors for 3 days and it was just announced to the employees about the agreement! Isn't that great:D . I was calling to confirm my reservations for 3/18 as I just got my documents and finished my doc dance. Now I'm dancing about the airlines not striking too!!!!

That is GREAT NEWS not just for us with tickets but for the employees, also. Everyone looses when there is a strike and knowing if there was a strike that NW might be out of business and they would be out of jobs.

Archived