Recreational Marijuana and Alaska Cruises

K32682

Where in the Caribbean is it legal to smoke/sell weed?

Forgive my incorrect word choice. Many Caribbean Islands have decriminalized it making it easier to get. I was just in St Lucia and could have bought it and smoked it right on the beach in my resort. Just locals with coconut carved art or palm leaf weaved hats. The would ask as you walk by and I said no and they said have a good holiday.

Barbados, Bermuda and Jamaica have decriminalized...meaning it's ok to be in possession of a small amount for personal use. You can't light up in the park, but you can get it with ease. I'm not sure how they treat edibles as it's not got'v regulated with shops to buy from, but I'd venture to guess you could get edibles.

US Virgin Islands have also decriminalized it. They do fall under US Federal law, though, but I assume it will be like any of the US states that have legalized/decriminalized. British Virgin Islands are discussing decriminalization.

Please don't confuse this post with saying we all should go get high. I'm simply saying it's out there and easy to get. It's on the boats we sail on. We've probably all shared an elevator or ate in the MDR or shot craps with someone on something other than alcohol. It's human nature, we all medicate/escape in one way or another. Some do it in a book, some build models, some collect coins, some go to a gun range, some smoke a joint, some snort a line.

The more marijuana becomes legal/decriminalized, the more the stigma of being a dirty drug that losers use, it will absolutely become more common place. I'd be willing to bet in less than 10 years, pot will be allowed on ships, or they will sell it and treat it like alcohol.

. I'd be willing to bet in less than 10 years, pot will be allowed on ships, or they will sell it and treat it like alcohol.

I doubt that.

You may be correct but I doubt you would have believed ten years ago that’s good portion of the states would have it legal today.

. I'd be willing to bet in less than 10 years, pot will be allowed on ships, or they will sell it and treat it like alcohol.

I doubt that.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, I can respect that. But the fact remains 10 years ago most thought pot would never be legal in the states. Four years ago it became 100% legal for recreational use in Colorado. In that 4 short years, 8 states have followed suit. Not to mention we now have 30 states with legal medicinal marijuana.

Cruise lines already sail to ports where it's decriminalized or fully legal. The Caribbean ports mentioned earlier, Barcelona is actually a recommended spot to go to try marijuana as it's legal in Spain. All drugs are legal in Portugal and ships sail there. The Netherlands, Peru, Canada, Cambodia, Iceland....the world is changing whether you like it or not.

Not to stir up (more) trouble... but the drug sniffing customs dogs can smell a pretty small quantity.

If a person were to partake, we could presume that his/her hair, clothing and luggage would carry a residual smell -- just like tobacco smokers smell of it even when they're not actually smoking.

Would the doggy alert on the smoky residue? If it were all smoked up, maybe you'd be searched and released, maybe.

So, no judgement on smoke/not, but it sure would mess with travel plans if you were detained on the basis of previously-smoked weed.