Help! 90 year old father and a hard decision.

smileytex

If good food is an issue, opt for Princess. I find the food on RC to be bland and somewhat institutionalized. Of course, we all have opinions on food!

If you are flying in, Galveston can be a challenge. Depending on which Houston airport, it's 45 minutes or more to get to Galveston. Ft. Lauderdale is much easier.

We booked the Princess, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a $2000.00 issue, my father is 90 and we are celebrating his birthday by going on a father/daughter cruise. I will be leaving my young daughter and husband at home, dad and I will have separate cabins (so this trip will be a treat for me as well). I have sailed on Carnival (once, and never again), NCL Sky, Royal Caribbean - Vision of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas. My dad went with us on NCL when he was younger and enjoyed the cruise, he is German and really liked the fact they had kippers for breakfast!

Here is the dilemma...I have two itineraries on hold for the end of November 2018, one is Liberty of the Seas (spacious balcony stateroom midship deck 10, but not able to get cabins next to each other) out of Galveston going to Honduras and Mexico, Regal Princess (got mini suite with an extended balcony for dad and a regular mini suite small balcony right next door for me and both are located midship) going out of Fort Lauderdale to their private island, St. Thomas and St. Marteen.

Dad's preferences:

Good size balcony (he will likely spend most of his days on the balcony)

Bathtub-hates showers

Calm, he wants peace and although he his hard of hearing he is sensitive to vibration from music and screaming/partying

Nice sized pool, he will swim once daily

Good food, early the 5:30 seating is what he likes, in a calm atmosphere

Warm weather

Large room

Comfortable bed

Nice and easy port

Great service

My preferences:

Decent balcony

Comfortable bed

Good excursions for me, snorkel/sport fishing (dad will not be leaving the ship)

Peace

The cons of the Galveston trip, almost fully booked, no reserved 5:30 seating, not sure how crazy deck 10 will be and also not next to dad. The cabin will have a shower, I am also not sure I am a fan of the itinerary and I know the cabins are a little run down. The positives, it's $2000.00 cheaper (when I factor in the additional cost for the Princess cabin and airfare), we can drive to the port from Dallas and I know both balconies will be a good size.

The cons of the Princess, $2000.00 additional cost for cabin and airfare, smaller balcony for me. Only two negatives (and only one affects me, but the cost is a big one). The positives, I am excited about the itinerary and the cabins look much better, also heard the food and service are better.

I know this was a long post, thank you for making it this far and I would appreciate and feedback/thoughts!:)

Personally, if it was me I would choose the Princess (I'm thinking you are doing Regal). I love Royal Caribbean (our favorite line actually), but Galveston isn't a desireable port to leave out of for many reasons...and I just prefer the itinerary of the Princess cruise. Plus, a much newer ship. Heck, we are going on Regal in November so you just might be speaking of the cruise we are taking. ;)

AAAhh! What a dilemma! Having lost both my mother and father, what I wouldn't give to be able to share a balcony on a cruise with my Dad. The $2,000 is well spent if you can open the balcony divider and share the balcony with dad for the cruise. Forget across the hallway; go for the adjoining minisuite and ask Princess if there is a connecting door to Dad's minisuite as well as opening the balcony divider. You may want to ask if they can move you into adjoining minisuites that do have an adjoining door. I'm sure that the comfort of knowing that you are right there for him will be reassuring and comforting on a cruise to new and exotic locations. You are so fortunate to have this dilemma.

That is too bad what happened. We have used it with no problem. Did you let Princess know how it was handled? Embarkation day is very hard on some PAX, traveling to get to the ship for some can be very hard for them, they need the help to get on board.

No, we didn't make an issue of it. It is hard enough to be 20something with braces and a walker without calling attention to the fact that they really dropped the ball this time. We attributed it to the fact that the ship wasn't where she was supposed to be and things just got messed up.