Help! 90 year old father and a hard decision.

smileytex

I think driving to Galveston might be easier for your dad if he is not used to flying. Lots of things to consider about flying, go a day early, stay in a hotel, dealing with luggage at airport and hotel, extra meals, security at airport, passports, etc. November should be a great time to cruise out of Galveston, few kids and not a real party atmosphere, since he will not get of ship the ports don't matter.

I would work with a TA to get you better cabins on the RCL cruise.

Have a great trip.

I think driving to Galveston might be easier for your dad if he is not used to flying. Lots of things to consider about flying, go a day early, stay in a hotel, dealing with luggage at airport and hotel, extra meals, security at airport, passports, etc. November should be a great time to cruise out of Galveston, few kids and not a real party atmosphere, since he will not get of ship the ports don't matter.

I would work with a TA to get you better cabins on the RCL cruise.

Have a great trip.

You post about driving made me smile...as it reminded me of a cruise we took my mom who btw will be 100 next year...she had me when she was really OLD ;p

Anyway, about 10 years ago, after my Dad passed my 3 siblings and I took her on an RCI, PC cruise San Diego to Vancouver, when we returned on a non-stop to SD there were so many people in wheel chairs they announced there would be no priority boarding..and once on the plane almost everyone was 70 or more I kid you not, they changed us to the emergency rows because the flight attendants felt we were the most able bodied of the 130? pax.

Don't count people out just because they are 90. However, I have noticed Princess(or the vendor) on a few excursions have put that as the age limit. I was surprised recently about a diving excursion... age limit of 55...oh no!

Edited by land lover

Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts, I think Princess might be the decision! I suggested I get another type of room and my dad would not have it, he really wants me to have the same experience and he also wants his alone time on the balcony, lol! Hope to confirm booking tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's wonderful that you and your dad get to share a cruise.

Best wishes for a great time and happy memories.

I don't know about the other cruise lines in that I only travel with Princess. You will be fine on Princess. As for the extra $2000 that is a lot money but I would not let that influence me. I would go with the line that offers the best cruise for your father. Cruising with a father at his age ..... priceless.

We took my mother-in-law on a cruise when she was 85. It's a challenge. Our biggest mistake was not bringing along her walker. Back then (six years ago), she wasn't using it all the time like she does now. But the distances between places on the ship were more than she could walk without using us as crutches.

She had the cabin right next to ours.

My dad is pretty good, he will probably need assistance at the port if there is a super long line.

He gave up biking daily after the doctor told him that he thought it was too risky. Dad still does his daily walks and laps in his pool. This is also the first year he will be flying instead of driving to see his friends in Florida, so I am certain he can handle the flight. We did a trip to Germany a couple years ago to see his sister and that went well. Thanks again for all your help.

Also, love those videos, think we both will enjoy the music on board!

Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts, I think Princess might be the decision! I suggested I get another type of room and my dad would not have it, he really wants me to have the same experience and he also wants his alone time on the balcony, lol! Hope to confirm booking tomorrow.

Hi, Smiley, how cool was it to have solved your dilemma on these boards? I love it and am inspired to post my own Princess issue now, and see what these magnificent people have to say. Enjoy your time away from it all, and be sure to leave the news and your worries behind you. ;p

My dad is pretty good, he will probably need assistance at the port if there is a super long line.

He gave up biking daily after the doctor told him that he thought it was too risky. Dad still does his daily walks and laps in his pool. This is also the first year he will be flying instead of driving to see his friends in Florida, so I am certain he can handle the flight. We did a trip to Germany a couple years ago to see his sister and that went well. Thanks again for all your help.

Also, love those videos, think we both will enjoy the music on board!

I would let Princess know that he would use assistance at the port. They will have a wheel chair there for him and bring him right to his cabin. Many PAX need the extra help to get on the ship. Once there they are able to get around.

Hi, Smiley, how cool was it to have solved your dilemma on these boards? I love it and am inspired to post my own Princess issue now, and see what these magnificent people have to say. Enjoy your time away from it all, and be sure to leave the news and your worries behind you. ;p

It was so helpful, and I will be returning all of the favors! Hopefully I can help out and give others advice based on the cruises I have been on!

I would go with Princess too--a better fit in many ways, and the one cruise we had out of Galveston was really cool the first and last days.

I don't know what time of year you are thinking of, but I am really surprised the Regal costs that much more; I do realize you are including air prices, so that may be the difference. We have sailed on Regal and it was really quite cheap--in a balcony. Also, of course, if you are cruising as singles, that jumps the price tremendously. I'd almost think it would make more sense to get a suite (not a mini) of some sort, Or, as other suggested, a premium line.

It's wonderful that you have the opportunity to do this with your dad. Have a wonderful trip.

I would go with Princess too--a better fit in many ways, and the one cruise we had out of Galveston was really cool the first and last days.

I don't know what time of year you are thinking of, but I am really surprised the Regal costs that much more; I do realize you are including air prices, so that may be the difference. We have sailed on Regal and it was really quite cheap--in a balcony. Also, of course, if you are cruising as singles, that jumps the price tremendously. I'd almost think it would make more sense to get a suite (not a mini) of some sort, Or, as other suggested, a premium line.

It's wonderful that you have the opportunity to do this with your dad. Have a wonderful trip.

The additional cost is mostly from the flight and hotel for the night before, also a little higher because we booked 2 single occupancy mini suites midship. We are officially booked for the November 25th sailing and I am very thankful for all the input I received!

I would let Princess know that he would use assistance at the port. They will have a wheel chair there for him and bring him right to his cabin. Many PAX need the extra help to get on the ship. Once there they are able to get around.

Sometimes. We've had some great experiences with assistance and some totally awful experiences--all on Princess. Most recently, the Caribbean Princess was at terminal 19 at Port Everglades. I do realize that this is not her normal spot. After asking multiple people who didn't hav a clue where the HA assist area was, one employee told us there was no such thing. When I ultimately found it, it was being so poorly handled that daughter decided to just use her walker. Medically, this was not the right solution. Practically, it likely was the only way to get onto the ship without waiting for hours.

Sometimes. We've had some great experiences with assistance and some totally awful experiences--all on Princess. Most recently' date=' the Caribbean Princess was at terminal 19 at Port Everglades. I do realize that this is not her normal spot. After asking multiple people who didn't hav a clue where the HA assist area was, one employee told us there was no such thing. When I ultimately found it, it was being so poorly handled that daughter decided to just use her walker. Medically, this was not the right solution. Practically, it likely was the only way to get onto the ship without waiting for hours.[/quote']

That is too bad what happened. We have used it with no problem. Did you let Princess know how it was handled? Embarkation day is very hard on some PAX, traveling to get to the ship for some can be very hard for them, they need the help to get on board.

they may even be able to open the doors between the balconies so you can go back & forth between them without going out into the hallway (ours were with 2 balconies on the Island Princess last year...it was wonderful as my sister was in a back brace & using a walker & I could check if she was up without knocking or calling)

They are about 6 cabins apart, I don't think he would, but am not sure because I usually help him anywhere he is not familiar with - it has not been tested. I know he likes the idea of me being able to pound on the balcony dividers if he does not hear the phone.

I have a $2000.00 issue, my father is 90 and we are celebrating his birthday by going on a father/daughter cruise. I will be leaving my young daughter and husband at home, dad and I will have separate cabins (so this trip will be a treat for me as well). I have sailed on Carnival (once, and never again), NCL Sky, Royal Caribbean - Vision of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas. My dad went with us on NCL when he was younger and enjoyed the cruise, he is German and really liked the fact they had kippers for breakfast!

Here is the dilemma...I have two itineraries on hold for the end of November 2018, one is Liberty of the Seas (spacious balcony stateroom midship deck 10, but not able to get cabins next to each other) out of Galveston going to Honduras and Mexico, Regal Princess (got mini suite with an extended balcony for dad and a regular mini suite small balcony right next door for me and both are located midship) going out of Fort Lauderdale to their private island, St. Thomas and St. Marteen.

Dad's preferences:

Good size balcony (he will likely spend most of his days on the balcony)

Bathtub-hates showers

Calm, he wants peace and although he his hard of hearing he is sensitive to vibration from music and screaming/partying

Nice sized pool, he will swim once daily

Good food, early the 5:30 seating is what he likes, in a calm atmosphere

Warm weather

Large room

Comfortable bed

Nice and easy port

Great service

My preferences:

Decent balcony

Comfortable bed

Good excursions for me, snorkel/sport fishing (dad will not be leaving the ship)

Peace

The cons of the Galveston trip, almost fully booked, no reserved 5:30 seating, not sure how crazy deck 10 will be and also not next to dad. The cabin will have a shower, I am also not sure I am a fan of the itinerary and I know the cabins are a little run down. The positives, it's $2000.00 cheaper (when I factor in the additional cost for the Princess cabin and airfare), we can drive to the port from Dallas and I know both balconies will be a good size.

The cons of the Princess, $2000.00 additional cost for cabin and airfare, smaller balcony for me. Only two negatives (and only one affects me, but the cost is a big one). The positives, I am excited about the itinerary and the cabins look much better, also heard the food and service are better.

I know this was a long post, thank you for making it this far and I would appreciate and feedback/thoughts!:)

Royal Caribbean is a family line which draws young families looking to have fun. Princess is also family friendly, but more to the older families. The people are older and not looking to party hardy. Of the two, you Dad will be happier on Princess.

You don't like Royal Caribbean's itinerary, but you do like Princess' itinerary. Are you cruising because you like to be at sea, or are you cruising to visit places. Is it worth $2,000 to you to be happy (this applies to both of you)?

Deck 11 on the Liberty OTS is the pool deck. This is going to be a big source of noise. Early in the morning you will hear the deck chairs being dragged along the deck as they sent them up. This happens about the same time as sunrise. Is that when you are looking to get up?

The mini suites on Princess have bathtubs. The Liberty OTS only has a cabin with a shower available for your Dad.

If you cruise with your daughter, I would recommend Liberty of the Seas. Cruising with your Dad, I recommend Princess.

Please come back and tell us how your cruise was, especially for your dad.

If you didn’t know it, for dessert you can order a Volcano from the kids menu. Just ask your waiter for it. It’s a vertical banana split. My German father loved ice cream in any form.

I have a $2000.00 issue, my father is 90 and we are celebrating his birthday by going on a father/daughter cruise. I will be leaving my young daughter and husband at home, dad and I will have separate cabins (so this trip will be a treat for me as well). I have sailed on Carnival (once, and never again), NCL Sky, Royal Caribbean - Vision of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas. My dad went with us on NCL when he was younger and enjoyed the cruise, he is German and really liked the fact they had kippers for breakfast!

Here is the dilemma...I have two itineraries on hold for the end of November 2018, one is Liberty of the Seas (spacious balcony stateroom midship deck 10, but not able to get cabins next to each other) out of Galveston going to Honduras and Mexico, Regal Princess (got mini suite with an extended balcony for dad and a regular mini suite small balcony right next door for me and both are located midship) going out of Fort Lauderdale to their private island, St. Thomas and St. Marteen.

Dad's preferences:

Good size balcony (he will likely spend most of his days on the balcony)

Bathtub-hates showers

Calm, he wants peace and although he his hard of hearing he is sensitive to vibration from music and screaming/partying

Nice sized pool, he will swim once daily

Good food, early the 5:30 seating is what he likes, in a calm atmosphere

Warm weather

Large room

Comfortable bed

Nice and easy port

Great service

My preferences:

Decent balcony

Comfortable bed

Good excursions for me, snorkel/sport fishing (dad will not be leaving the ship)

Peace

The cons of the Galveston trip, almost fully booked, no reserved 5:30 seating, not sure how crazy deck 10 will be and also not next to dad. The cabin will have a shower, I am also not sure I am a fan of the itinerary and I know the cabins are a little run down. The positives, it's $2000.00 cheaper (when I factor in the additional cost for the Princess cabin and airfare), we can drive to the port from Dallas and I know both balconies will be a good size.

The cons of the Princess, $2000.00 additional cost for cabin and airfare, smaller balcony for me. Only two negatives (and only one affects me, but the cost is a big one). The positives, I am excited about the itinerary and the cabins look much better, also heard the food and service are better.

I know this was a long post, thank you for making it this far and I would appreciate and feedback/thoughts!:)

If good food is an issue, opt for Princess. I find the food on RC to be bland and somewhat institutionalized. Of course, we all have opinions on food!

If you are flying in, Galveston can be a challenge. Depending on which Houston airport, it's 45 minutes or more to get to Galveston. Ft. Lauderdale is much easier.