My Prague to Bucharest Danube cruise on the Viking Aegir

Bruin Steve

Yorkshire Lad, you are the third person to write something similar...as if I do not know what I just experienced. Please understand that, though YOU may have been on Viking cruises where there was a buffet only one night, where there’s we’re several choices on the menu and where the service was so excellent, that definitely was NOT the case on THIS cruise. There was a buffet set up in the CENTER OF THE DINING ROOM at EVERY meal...menu choices were very limited...and the level of dining room service was only slightly better than what one would expect at a buffet. Perhaps this is the situation on this route or this ship only...or, perhaps, it is something experimental with Viking...or, perhaps, it is just the Viking future.

I understand that there are those of you who love Viking and are here rushing to its defense...but understand that I am NOT just making this up. Whatever the reason, this is how THIS cruise was operated...and it is NOT good. Hopefully, my reporting this...and Viking reading it...will cause Viking to understand that it will lose them customers...and they will restore whatever good operations you experienced.

Some of us just want to let those who are reading this thread and are new to Viking - that this is NOT the norm. I don't know why they did things differently for your cruise, but I have been reading and following Viking here and on Facebook since 2014 when we were considering our first cruise and this is the first time I'm reading a dinner such as you have described.

I do know they do lunch and breakfast that way, but to do a buffet every night for dinner is not the norm. I'm sorry you did not get to experience the wonderful food and service we had on our cruise.

🤔Hmmm...yes, I would be interested in the dates of your cruise since your review reads more like a promo for Celebrity than an accurate remembrance of a Viking cruise.

On Viking river cruises there is usually a small buffet by the terrace/bar in the evening but NO dinner buffet in the main restaurant (other than the one theme night as others have mentioned). Dinners don't require that everyone be there at 7pm (unlike ocean cruises with fixed seating times) although no surprise that the first people there would tend to sit by the windows. People also do tend to sit the same place each time.

Viking dinners in the main restaurant are sit down meals ordered from menus that feature three different options for each course and that usually include one "local specialty" item for each course. In addition, there is always the option of ordering steak, salmon, chicken, and something vegetarian as entrees.

If Viking was, in fact, trying out a buffet for just the one cruise you were on clearly that was a failure. In that case, your negative review is understandable although people should realize that what you described is substantially different from what anyone could expect on a Viking river cruise. However, if Viking WAS experimenting on that one cruise, that would explain why Viking's service was so different on your cruise than any others people seem to have experienced. The crew would be trying to adjust to a nightly dinner buffet that is not a part of any other Viking cruise others have reviewed. On our two Viking European river cruises the waiters quickly learned our preferences and brought us drinks, etc. most times without needing to ask. The service was friendly and excellent.

There is nightly entertainment in the bar. It is limited (usually a soloist or small band) but it isn't a one night-only situation.

Odd that you have a real estate background and were unfamiliar with "French balcony" which is a typical real estate term but perhaps there aren't many of those where you live. Yes, French balconies are not the same as other types of balconies. People should understand that before they book. River boats are also much smaller and their cabins are, as well. The cabin for our upcoming Viking Ocean cruise is in the cheapest category (although the cheapest Viking Ocean cabin has a balcony with a table & chairs, unlike the cheapest Celebrity cabins which are windowless interiors). It has about twice the square footage of a Viking River French Balcony cabin. I will say that Viking has nicely sized bathrooms (with heated floors!) so that does take up some of the square footage. That works for me as I like being able to shower without constantly hitting my elbows or getting the TP wet! 😂 Totally worth it as a trade off, IMHO. It is important, however, to get the double doors to the shower closed completely in order to avoid leaks! 😉

We used the elevator (easier on my mom's knees) but it wasn't used by many people. It is important to realize it only goes two floors. We researched ahead of time so we knew not to book an aquarium level cabin if we wanted to avoid stairs (but, as mentioned, the sun deck is only accessible by stairs). People should be aware that river boats are made for people who are able to climb stairs, etc. Wheelchairs & scooters are not permitted and some Viking river boats do not have elevators at all.

The day of scenic cruising can be seen and heard from the top deck of the boat OR from the restaurant or bar so those were options if you didn't want to share space with others on the top deck.

It's true, river cruises aren't for everyone. People who want to spend time in the spa, pool, gym, surf machine, go-cart track, or watching Broadway shows do need to stick to ocean ships. River cruises are focused on seeing the various cities/ports along the way and they offer a very different experience.

Everyone should do research before booking a cruise to make sure the style of ship/boat, itinerary, and amenities will fulfill his/her vacation preferences. Just be sure you base your decisions on good reviews from people who have actually traveled on the ships and itineraries you are considering.

Happy cruising, everyone, regardless of what kind of cruise(s) you prefer! 🏝

��Hmmm...yes, I would be interested in the dates of your cruise since your review reads more like a promo for Celebrity than an accurate remembrance of a Viking cruise.

Are you SERIOUSLY questioning my veracity? my "accuracy"? or my memory? or my motives???

I just returned from this cruise just over a week ago...and I remember the specifics incredibly well. I assure you, my account is quite accurate. I don't care what Viking cruises might "usually" have. This one had a buffet set up in the center of the dining room for EVERY dinner. The menu choices were extremely limited. The service was POOR. I know good service. This was not it.

As to the "entertainment", I didn't say it was only one night--though it might as well have been. Once they had the local kids dancing. Once they had a slide presentation on growing up in Eastern Europe. Once they had a presentation on Dracula. One evening it was "Nautical Talk"--followed by a little music by the duo. One night it was "Pop around the Clock"--music by the duo and one night it was "Country and Western" (about 20 people attended, some in spite of the music). The night leaving Budapest there was no evening program. I am looking at all of the "Viking Daily" programs right now.

As to your questioning me on my Real Estate Background, please know that I spent 35 years as a real estate attorney for three very large national and international corporations and as Senior Vice President for a large commercial real estate developer. The reason I mentioned the "French Balconies" in my review was NOT to feign surprise--merely to point out to those reading the review and considering the option that this cabin is really not a balcony cabin at all--merely a small 135 square foot cabin.

As to your dismissing me as just not having done my research, please know that I am a very experienced traveler and a very detailed person. I booked this trip in spite of knowing many of the pitfalls...and it was also my second trip with Viking. I was well aware of the lack of elevators--but wanted to point that out to those reading my review who may not have been aware. I also know the limitations of a small ship like this in terms of things like the ability to provide a grander scale of entertainment, etc. I do, however, think it important to point this out. Not everyone who reads this is a river cruise loyalist.

What even Viking loyalists (as you apparently are) should note--rather than challenge--is the poor service, limited dinner menu choices and other notes in my review. These just may be changes since you last cruised with Viking. If ignored, no doubt they will expand this set-up. The buffet and limited menu is easier for them to manage and likely costs them less. The wait staff was under-manned. It may have been different on your past Viking cruises...But please know that I am EXTREMELY ACCURATE in my account. Do you REALLY doubt me? Why on earth would you think I would make this up?

I will be watching this thread even more closely than usual. If there are any more attacks on the OP's honesty or accuracy [about his personal experience] I will remove posts and request Guideline Reminder dings. This OP is not a 'one post wonder' and has a good track record on CC. Please be civil.

If someone from Viking is checking the boards - I think we would all like to know if Viking River has been testing a new dinner format (buffets each night in main dining room, apparently in addition to menu service - much like has been traditionally done only for breakfast and lunch). Is this something Viking has been trying out this summer on their Budapest to Bucharest (Passage to Eastern Europe) cruise? Did they switch to this format for a single cruise or have they switched to a new dinner format permanently? More information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

To the OP: I would suggest re-reading what I wrote as clearly you took it the wrong way and my apologies for any confusion. I said it "reads more like" something, not that it was. I asked about the dates of travel because it would be helpful to know if people in the Budapest to Bucharest cruise sailings before and after yours had the same nightly dinner buffet experience. If not, it would seem that Viking was testing something different for that one cruise. I commented that EVERYONE should do research prior to booking a cruise. I, in no way, said the OP had not done that research although I did interpret some of the OP comments as implying something came as a surprise. My apologies for any times I misinterpreted your comments (like regarding the French Balconies). I commented that I had researched before our trip to make sure we were on the same floor as the restaurant so we could use the elevator from that floor to the lounge level. That and the fact that my mom prefers to avoid stairs meant the elevator was useful for us. It would obviously not be useful for everyone and, as I discussed, it does not completely eliminate the need to climb stairs so people need to be aware of that. OP talked about the apples and oranges differences between river and ocean cruises. I agreed that they are very different and people should really look into what will work best for them and what type of vacation they want. That's why everyone should do research by reading reviews like the ones on Cruise Critic. I don't know why me commenting how important it is to check out details prior to cruising was taken in such a negative way. There is a learning curve on learning how to read cruise company descriptions of what is being offered. (e.g. "panoramic tour" is travel code for "tour on a bus" and if the cruise line isn't specific about transportation it is likely to be by motor coach, AKA "a bus") Sites like this are a huge help in figuring out what to expect.

I'm sorry the OP was so terribly disappointed with his Viking River cruise experience. That is very sad. The review also left me with questions - like if waiting in line for a dinner buffet was annoying, why not order off the menu for table service, instead? Was that also not satisfactory? Were they not offering evening food service on the lounge level (usually there is a light buffet there) on that cruise? Or had that been replaced by something else? Viking was doing tests of a reservation-only Italian specialty restaurant on some of their river cruises for a while but rumor was this had been discontinued. Perhaps they are trying a different dining experiment now?

Again, whether service was good is a subjective (but important!) experience. I wouldn't interpret people saying "my food was great!" to be a disagreement with someone else's comment that they thought the food was terrible. People are simply offering their own subjective perspectives. However, whenever anyone reports the configuration or basic operation of a cruise ship is quite different from the previous reviews/experiences that have been shared, I think it is natural for people to have more questions to try to better understand. For example, the number of common areas, the available dining options, and claims that Viking is misrepresenting their cabin sizes should be facts that people can attempt to verify.

My thanks to Bruin Steve and all those who have taken the time to provide reviews and other information. I find it very helpful! Happy cruising, everyone!

Unless I missed or misinterpreted something, I don't seen anyone attacking anyone or being uncivil. I see people stating that their experiences were different. Mine certainly was, and most of the of the other reviews and trip reports I've read were different as well. It is nature that we all view our experiences through our own filters, so it helps to get a number of accounts for comparison.

I would like to hear from recent Viking cruisers - especially those on the Danube - to see what their experience with the Restaurant has been. I wouldn't like a buffet for dinner, so I'm hoping that this is not a trend.

Seems these days everyone is far too sensitive. If someone disagrees with you, it is merely a different opinion, or them sharing a different experience. It's not a personal attack, and it's not bullying - though many these days see it that way. I was called a bully the other day in another place, because I simply said I didn't like packing cubes on a thread where someone was extolling their virtues. How dare I disagree with them!

And people ARE sometimes mistaken or they get something confused (NOT referring to the OP - just people in general), so it's normal - I think - to question, to make sure that the facts are straight and the ducks are all in a row. Again - not an attack, just a clarification of the facts.

Bruin Steve I know you spoke with Viking - did they tell you this was something they were experimenting with? Did they assure you it was the norm? Did they say this was they direction they were going? I hope not!

This is important information - inquiring minds want to know. :cool: My upcoming Danube cruise is going to be turned topsy turvy as it is due to the water levels. I'd like to know that some parts of my future experience will be normal! I'm still trying to figure our how we will get a glass of wine or beer on a long bus ride :loudcry:

Hello Bruin Steve,

I for one really appreciated your very balanced review of your recent cruise experience. My husband and I had experienced two previous excellent Viking river cruises (Paris to Normandy and Rhine Getaway) and had anxiously awaited our recent one from which we just returned, Viking Gullveig Romantic Danube. Although we did NOT have a dinner buffet on our cruise (except for German night which was a bit of a zoo with very long lines), I could identify with many of your other positives and negatives.

The other travelers on our ship were simply delightful, which made a very difficult situation somewhat more bearable. The crew worked very hard under stress as well. Our issue was low water on the Danube, which turned a river cruise into a bus trip. We only had two "normal" days of sailing. We noticed the often slow service in the dining room at times, but chalked that up at the time to the overall stress of the experience. Now I wonder if staffing numbers have changed? There were also a couple of nights that I had to go with the alternate menu choices (although the beef that I had was great). It does seem perhaps that things vary from ship to ship.

When we received our "dreaded emails" about the sailing changes (after we were already in Prague), a discount on a future cruise was offered. At that point, only the first 4 days were to be impacted. We were bused to Passau instead of Nuremberg and spent the next 4 days docked there (much of the time in an unsightly docking area). Later we were told that the ship would also not get to Budapest, which negatively impacted the final 2 days. On the final day, we were told to contact our travel agents or Viking Customer Relations when we got home. I took that to mean than the discount offer would be increased significantly due to the major additional inconveniences. I just got off the phone with Viking Customer Relations and I was wrong. Their offer was increased slightly, but not to a meaningful degree. Overall, the discount is quite small. There was no additional consideration for the fact that we paid for a French Balcony that we were only able to use two days (rafting was a constant on the trip).

I KNOW that all of the cruise companies' fine print protect them from low water issues. It just made me sad that they didn't seem to care that a once-loyal customer would never sail with them again. Oh well, live and learn and buyer beware, I guess.

Allow me to clarify one point: The dinner was not exactly a "buffet". There was a menu and you could order directly from it. It was just that there were some items that were served buffet style from a rectangle of tables at the center of the room. What was left to be ordered off the menu was extremely limited. I've read posters here stating that there were always about three choices of each course...That is where things differed the most--especially in terms of soup, salad and appetizers--these items were often "self serve" from that center table. I usually love to order appetizers, but, on this cruise, often not finding any on the menu, I think the only appetizers I had were on the `"Taste of the Balkans" theme night--when the entire meal was served from the buffet tables but the waiters did bring a small sampler plate to the table. They DID have the optional buffet on the "Aquavit Terrace"...but since I don't like buffets, we never availed ourselves of that. I chose to always order from the menu--but, of course, that is why I noticed the spotty service so much. Unlike on most cruises I've been on (even my prior Viking China cruise), the waiters did not come by with menus for everyone at the table as soon as we were seated, seeming to wait to see what people were going to do...It is really hard to categorize the dining room service...it just seemed poor all the way around and I was trying to figure out why...

Thanks, Bruin Steve, for your review.

I've never been on an ocean cruise, only river cruises, so your comparisons were interesting - and should be read by people who are thinking of river cruising after ocean cruising.

Size of cabins never bothered me because we spend almost no time in the cabin except while sleeping.

I have just booked another Viking cruise for next year, Budapest to Bucharest so your comments about the change to evening meals greatly concerns me. The evening meal is the highlight of a cruise, just sitting choosing food which is brought to you with wine glasses constantly topped up. I don't fancy a buffet for dinner.

Maybe it's an experiment, if so I hope it goes no further. But I fear it may be a cost cutting exercise to reduce the number of waitrons.

Regarding standard of service; I have no complaints, its been excellent.

But our friends on a recent cruise had to change boats (because of low level) the boats were identical, but while they had excellent service on the first boat they said the second boat was poor, they called them the B team.

Allow me to clarify one point: The dinner was not exactly a "buffet". There was a menu and you could order directly from it. It was just that there were some items that were served buffet style from a rectangle of tables at the center of the room. What was left to be ordered off the menu was extremely limited. I've read posters here stating that there were always about three choices of each course...That is where things differed the most--especially in terms of soup, salad and appetizers--these items were often "self serve" from that center table. I usually love to order appetizers, but, on this cruise, often not finding any on the menu, I think the only appetizers I had were on the `"Taste of the Balkans" theme night--when the entire meal was served from the buffet tables but the waiters did bring a small sampler plate to the table. They DID have the optional buffet on the "Aquavit Terrace"...but since I don't like buffets, we never availed ourselves of that. I chose to always order from the menu--but, of course, that is why I noticed the spotty service so much. Unlike on most cruises I've been on (even my prior Viking China cruise), the waiters did not come by with menus for everyone at the table as soon as we were seated, seeming to wait to see what people were going to do...It is really hard to categorize the dining room service...it just seemed poor all the way around and I was trying to figure out why...

When we dined on the Aquavit Terrace we could order anything we wanted. There was no buffet at dinner. Lunch there was always a buffet.

I am VERY interested to find out if Viking is CHANGING their dining approach on River cruises to more of a buffet dinner experience. I for one would NOT like this. We always enjoyed our dinners on our 4 Viking River cruises very much with several new often local choices each evening plus the old standard "American" 3 standbys (never tried them but other finicky eaters liked them). On our Rhine cruise German night was a buffet, which contrary to our usual stated bias against buffets, we loved. But we would not like a buffet every night or even most nights.

As an aside, Uniworld does an outstanding job with their buffet lunches.

Unfortunately, different cruises and different ships may have waitstaff that is below the norm for what we have experienced on Viking. Part of this is a mathematical fact. Someone HAS to be below average. However, on a well managed cruise line, the deviation from the mean should be minimal. Rapid growth may be a problem. Fortunately, we have not experienced any problems.

I am VERY interested to find out if Viking is CHANGING their dining approach on River cruises to more of a buffet dinner experience. I for one would NOT like this. .

I'm with you. I don't mind a buffet if the object is to allow us to sample multiple dishes of the local cuisine but in general at dinner time, I want table service and I don't want to be bothered by people constantly banging into my chair as they pass from table to buffet.

At the same time, let's be careful about the rumors that might be started when we start to wonder out loud what is going on.

Note to Viking: if you are following this thread and keeping track, I vote no on the buffet at dinner in the Restaurant! [emoji50]

Absolutely agree - 1000 %!!

The regular table service dinner is one of our favorite parts of our past Viking cruises. If this is changing, our cruise next year will probably be our last with Viking River.

Really do hope that this was a rare exception to the norm.

Jeff