Serenade self service laundry

Maineac

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the Serenade has self service laundry facilities?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, yes they do, the ultimate self serve laundry. It's called wash your clothes in the bath tub, rinse them out, wring them by hand and hang where ever you can to dry. That's what I did on a 9 night cruise last fall. It really wasn't that hard, and they dry quick in the air conditioned room.

Wraithe

I've never understood how people consider the prices to do laundry reasonable. After I go running one pair of shorts, tee shirt, pair of socks and underwear costs about $7.50. I consider that a fairly expensive run.

Perhaps they are comparing the onboard cost to the price they would pay to have those same items laundered back home, or perhaps they consider the time that they would spend laundering those items at a self-service laundry onboard, is more valuable than the cost of sending the laundry out. If you put a value on your time, you may find that you are spending as much or more than $7.50 to do it yourself.:)

Since the laundry question has been answered.....I am actually thinking about dropping my United Mileage Plus card and switching to Capitol One card. Any opinions on Capitol One?:D

As with everything these days, there seems to be a hitch. In the case of the Capitol One card, if you use the miles you have accrued on it to book a free round-trip domestic ticket, they will deduct points equal to the price of the lowest available ticket multiplied by 90. If your ticket costs, say $200, they will deduct 18,000 points which is less than the 25,000 points that most credit card companies deduct. If the ticket costs $500, though, it will cost you 45,000 points instead of the 25,000 other companies would charge. I guess you need to consider whether or not you have encountered serious difficulties when using your United Mileage Plus card to obtain free tickets and what the usual $value of your tickets is. Looks like Capitol One may be no hassle, but only at a price. :(

Perhaps they are comparing the onboard cost to the price they would pay to have those same items laundered back home, or perhaps they consider the time that they would spend laundering those items at a self-service laundry onboard, is more valuable than the cost of sending the laundry out. If you put a value on your time, you may find that you are spending as much or more than $7.50 to do it yourself.:)

This is exactly it. I frequently use my local el-cheapo dry cleaners to launder my clothes, or in many cases press my clothes. For press only service, the cost on the ship is about half of what I pay to my local dry cleaners. For dry cleaning or laundering it's about 1/3rd less. And when you add in the time issue, it makes it more reasonable.

Now, I guess if I were talking about my underwear or workout clothes that would be different, but I usually just wash those in the sink.

This is exactly it. I frequently use my local el-cheapo dry cleaners to launder my clothes, or in many cases press my clothes. For press only service, the cost on the ship is about half of what I pay to my local dry cleaners. For dry cleaning or laundering it's about 1/3rd less. And when you add in the time issue, it makes it more reasonable.

Now, I guess if I were talking about my underwear or workout clothes that would be different, but I usually just wash those in the sink.

When people ask about self service lauderies on the ships I don't think they are interested in dry cleaning. You don't dry clean in a washing machine. I can do a whole load of clothes at home for less than what one run costs me. I think the prices are ridiculous.

And as for time, are you saying it would take more time to throw a load of clothes in a self service machine than to stand in the bathroom and wash your stuff in the sink?? I don't think so.

It takes me two minutes to wash laundry in the sink, max. And that includes hanging it up to dry. I'm sorry I know of no washing machines and dryers that can work that fast - and don't tell me to leave it and then come back. I did that in college and lost items frequently. When it comes down to it, I would never waste valuable vacation time sitting around waiting for a washing machine, even if it was available.

And I wasn't just talking about dry cleaning services, the prices on the ship are about half of what I pay for laundering services on land as well.

When you're sailing with a family of four the laundry service is very expensive. I really don't mind doing a load of laundry at night as I am a night owl. If there were self service laundries onboard RCCL as on Carnival and Disney we wouldn't need to pack as much. I prefer Royal Caribbean just wish there were guest laundries.

When you're sailing with a family of four the laundry service is very expensive. I really don't mind doing a load of laundry at night as I am a night owl. If there were self service laundries onboard RCCL as on Carnival and Disney we wouldn't need to pack as much. I prefer Royal Caribbean just wish there were guest laundries.

When you are sailing with a family of four, most everything is expensive :) - your cruise fares, excursions, drinks,tips, airfare etc. - so why should the laundry service be any different:D

It takes me two minutes to wash laundry in the sink, max. And that includes hanging it up to dry. I'm sorry I know of no washing machines and dryers that can work that fast - and don't tell me to leave it and then come back. I did that in college and lost items frequently. When it comes down to it, I would never waste valuable vacation time sitting around waiting for a washing machine, even if it was available.

And I wasn't just talking about dry cleaning services, the prices on the ship are about half of what I pay for laundering services on land as well.

So at home it costs you $5.00 (double the cost on the ship) to wash a t-shirt? Let me assure you that you are getting ripped off.

Since the laundry question has been answered.....I am actually thinking about dropping my United Mileage Plus card and switching to Capitol One card. Any opinions on Capitol One?:D
What do you use your miles for and how flexible is your schedule?

If you use it for popular cheap fares go with Capitol One. e.g. Chicago-Orlando during school breaks.

If you go for the more expensive flights and have flexibility keep your United Card. e.g. Last Spring we got two First Class tickets from Grand Rapids to Punta Cana for 120,000 United Miles - the same tickets with Capitol One would have been around 400,000 miles.

Not to sidetrack the thread. Thanks for the info. I will have to re-read the Capitol One information, since I was unaware of the variable redemption amounts.

We earn enough for about 2 free continental US flight on United/year. We used to accrue more miles, but with United's reduction in flights and increased costs, it is difficult to locate flights, let alone award seats. We are fortunate to be near 3 airports, OAK, SFO and SJC, though.

Thanks for the information. :)

Archived