binoculars for Alaska cruise

TXRed

Hi y'all! We are going to Alaska in May 2019 and am looking to get some binoculars. We went about 4 years ago and did not take binoculars and wished we had. However I know doodlysquat about them. These were recommended by a friend of a friend...is anyone familiar with binoculars? I don't want anything too heavy ...would be using them from the balcony of the Solstice. Any information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have to wear reading glasses for close up if that helps.

Aurosports 10x25 Folding High Powered Binoculars

This issue is discussed on a frequent basis on the Alaska Cruise Critic forum. It seems to me that every issue of every birdwatching magazine has binocular reviews, and while it can be helpful to read them in your local library or on-line you really need to spend some time in a sporting goods store and hold a number of pairs in your hand. My birdwatching husband has a favorite pair which I find much too heavy, difficult to hold and not easy to adjust the vision. My favorite pair is a much smaller lighter weight but has excellent vision quality for me.

My suggestion would be to visit a sporting goods store to get a feel for the different optics available. They will probably be under lock and key but it’s nice to actually hold different ones and look thru them to find your personal sweet spot. Also, before you go to audition be sure you know the correct way to adjust binoculars. Google it if you don’t know.

Happy shopping!

Hi y'all! We are going to Alaska in May 2019 and am looking to get some binoculars. We went about 4 years ago and did not take binoculars and wished we had. However I know doodlysquat about them. These were recommended by a friend of a friend...is anyone familiar with binoculars? I don't want anything too heavy ...would be using them from the balcony of the Solstice. Any information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have to wear reading glasses for close up if that helps.

A light-weight 10x25 without any stabilization is difficult to use for medium to long distance viewing - just too much jitter. Recommend either an expensive stabilizing 10x25 or an inexpensive non-stabilizing 8x25.

This issue is discussed on a frequent basis on the Alaska Cruise Critic forum. It seems to me that every issue of every birdwatching magazine has binocular reviews, and while it can be helpful to read them in your local library or on-line you really need to spend some time in a sporting goods store and hold a number of pairs in your hand. My birdwatching husband has a favorite pair which I find much too heavy, difficult to hold and not easy to adjust the vision. My favorite pair is a much smaller lighter weight but has excellent vision quality for me.

I didn't know this was a frequently asked subject. But thanks for taking the time to respond anyway. Which is your favorite pair? Thanks again

My suggestion would be to visit a sporting goods store to get a feel for the different optics available. They will probably be under lock and key but it’s nice to actually hold different ones and look thru them to find your personal sweet spot. Also, before you go to audition be sure you know the correct way to adjust binoculars. Google it if you don’t know.

Happy shopping!

Thanks for your suggestions!

A light-weight 10x25 without any stabilization is difficult to use for medium to long distance viewing - just too much jitter. Recommend either an expensive stabilizing 10x25 or an inexpensive non-stabilizing 8x25.

Thanks so much for the information and suggetions. Much appreciated. As I said I know nothing about them and is not an item we will be using often.

I bought binoculars for our 2017 Alaska cruise. I spent quite a bit of time researching it because I wanted something not too heavy; that would work with my glasses; be of decent quality but not cost a fortune.

I am very satisfied with my choice. They are compact and waterproof.

Opticron Discovery 8x32 WP PC

Good luck with your search.

In my opinion, your best single reference is here:

http:// https://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how-to-choose-binoculars.html

Pay close attention to water proofness, and the related ability to resist fogging when going from cold to warm...

Near sightedness should not be an issue. But it is good to be able to adjust diopter and have the adjustment be stable...

I bought binoculars for our 2017 Alaska cruise. I spent quite a bit of time researching it because I wanted something not too heavy; that would work with my glasses; be of decent quality but not cost a fortune.

I am very satisfied with my choice. They are compact and waterproof.

Opticron Discovery 8x32 WP PC

Good luck with your search.

Thank you, I will check them out! Appreciate your reply.

In my opinion, your best single reference is here:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how-to-choose-binoculars.html

Pay close attention to water proofness, and the related ability to resist fogging when going from cold to warm...

Near sightedness should not be an issue. But it is good to be able to adjust diopter and have the adjustment be stable...

Thanks you so much for the site reference. I am going to do some reading.