Miami- hotel and transportation to port for NCL cruise

sleepbestonships

We arrive rather early (10:00 a.m.) on a Sunday and depart for our cruise on Monday afternoon. Are there any hotels near the cruise terminal that offer free transportation from the airport and to the terminal (I'm guessing not). Otherwise- if we want to stay under $150 for our hotel night, any recommendations on options that will minimize our transportation costs?

Thanks in advance.

When do you cruise? :confused: The $100 room in August can go for $300+ in Feb.

None of the downtown hotels offers airport shuttles, and if they offer port shuttles you'll pay $8+ per person - you are better off finding a hotel that meets your needs/budget and then using Uber or Lyft for inexpensive transport. Under $20 from MIA airport to downtown hotels and another $10 ride will get you to the port -- those fares cover UberX or standard Lyft and will comfortably fit 2-3 plus normal bags.

Hampton Inn Mary Brickell is often suggested on this board for reasonable prices, free breakfast, and lots of local dining/shopping/nightlife nearby. Check out other hotels in the same area. Other popular downtown Miami suggestions include the Intercontinental, Holiday Inn, Doubletree, and a number of Marriott options.

Have a good cruise! :D

This is for early September.

I have located a few options:

1. Embassy Suites airport for around $100/night pro: inexpensive, easy to get to from airport, free breakfast cons: unless we just want to crash at the hotel, not convenient to seeing/doing anything in Miami

2. Hampton Inn Brickell for around $160/night pro: near things to do in Miami, close to port

3. Hilton Cabana Miami for $225/night pro: right on the beach con: price and most inconvenient location to airport and port

We arrive at 10:00 a.m., so we are stuck with either paying an extra night to guarantee getting in a room early, or waiting several hours until a room is available. We are not big on "night life" and really have not looked at all into what we would be interested in seeing/doing in Miami.

This is for early September.

I have located a few options:

1. Embassy Suites airport for around $100/night pro: inexpensive, easy to get to from airport, free breakfast cons: unless we just want to crash at the hotel, not convenient to seeing/doing anything in Miami

2. Hampton Inn Brickell for around $160/night pro: near things to do in Miami, close to port

3. Hilton Cabana Miami for $225/night pro: right on the beach con: price and most inconvenient location to airport and port

We arrive at 10:00 a.m., so we are stuck with either paying an extra night to guarantee getting in a room early, or waiting several hours until a room is available. We are not big on "night life" and really have not looked at all into what we would be interested in seeing/doing in Miami.

Looks like you're on the Sky September 3rd. I gather you need a hotel for the 2nd.

Looked quickly at hotwire. Plenty of 4 star hotels with 80+% recommendations for well below the prices you listed. A few even $70ish.

If they don't offer a shuttle you could use uber for a ride. Cheaper than a taxi.

Only thing with hotwire and priceline is they tell you the name of the hotel after you book.

Also lots of hotels will hold your bags in their bag room until it's time to check into your room. So no need to buy and extra night. Just go to hotel have them hold your bags then enjoy exploring Miami

Of the three listed I would choose the Hampton Inn Mary Brickell for the price and location, but as posted above there are many other good options downtown for your dates in Sept. Do not choose the MIA Embassy Suites - you'll be bored and isolated, or will spend your savings on taxis and Ubers to get downtown and back.

Alrighty- I think I have been working on this trip nearly non-stop since yesterday. But I have done the last thing on the list and booked pre-cruise lodging.

I took your advice and looked up Hotwire. I'm pretty picky- so I narrowed it to a few areas with 4.5 or higher TA rating and 90% or higher approval on Hotwire. I had a $20 coupon (luckily I checked my promotions folder) and I got a king-bed room at The Hotel of South Beach for $165 (taxes and fees included). I like the idea of being close to the beach. I'm hoping this is a good area and not so loud that we won't get any sleep.

Honestly I would not do a hotel in South Beach in the blind.

It could be very loud.

I would have gone with the Hampton Inn.

Much quieter.

Lots of restaurants nearby, stores and nice for a walk.

I hope it works out but I would not have gone this route.

Keith

Well Keith- I will try to remember to come back here to let you know how it goes. I read about 5 pages of TripAdvisor reviews before I decided to commit to this (Hotwire told me the 4 possibilities, two of them had lower ratings than I had filtered for, so I read reviews on the remaining two properties to make sure I was fine with either or them).

I am less of a nightlife person, but am a sucker for walking on the beach at night- so this area appealed to me.

• 1 month later...
sleepbestonships, yes, I would love to hear your thoughts after your get back from your trip.

Keith

So I am back from this trip. Our hotel (The Hotel of South Beach) was really lovely. The sound proofing was pretty impressive, because it was LOUD outside, but we heard more usual hotel noise (doors closing, people in the hallway) than noise from outside. We liked being able to walk to the beach and enjoyed people watching on Ocean Drive. Overall- though we might not choose this scene again, we are glad we did this time.

So I am back from this trip. Our hotel (The Hotel of South Beach) was really lovely. The sound proofing was pretty impressive, because it was LOUD outside, but we heard more usual hotel noise (doors closing, people in the hallway) than noise from outside. We liked being able to walk to the beach and enjoyed people watching on Ocean Drive. Overall- though we might not choose this scene again, we are glad we did this time.

Thank you for providing the feedback on your stay.

Keith