Jewelry Shopping

I agree Imperial Jewelers, St. Thomas we met Charlie owner of Imperial Jewelers early 90’s and have purchased many pieces from him and have recommended him to friends and clients with all very happy with the purchases . My advise is to be an educated shopper know what you want and cost. Don’t forget to play the haggling game , never ever pay their first offer . Shop around for your special piece. Charlie has become a must do to all our friends .

Good luck

We like Majesty Jewelers in St Maarten.

I would suggest you speak to the ship’s shopping guide. He/she will let you know which stores are reputable and backed by RCI.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Guindalf is 10000000% correct. The Ship’s Shopper is paid on commission, so they will steer you to where they get a cut! And lest you think that RCCL will stick by you if you buy something and are unhappy, I have some ‘beachfront’ property to sell you....CHEAP!!

What will you do if your jewelry breaks? What will you do if it isn’t what you paid for? What if it is a fake? Do you know how to tell if the stone has seen heat treated? Do you want to go on vacation again to get these things resolved??

As has been stated before, the internet is full of people who were taken advantage by someone on vacation. If you want to purchase a bobble (momento) go ahead, but for your large purchases, do so at home!!

The days of fabulous deals in the Carribean went bye-bye as the internet made price comparisons (and shopping) easier.

Make your large purchases at home from a reputable dealer who will stand by their merchandise and will service you after the sale!!

Worst. Advice. Ever.

The ship's shopping guide is there to point you to the stores that give RCCL a kickback for being promoted, just like the shore excursions booked on board or through the cruise line.

As has been said, do your homework and make sure you know what you're buying. Most likely you could do better shopping at home, but there are some bargains to be had if you know what you're buying.

A buyer can at least be sure the stores endorsed are not selling fake jewelry. Nearly all the stores mentioned in this thread are ones I’ve seen on the RCI list.

I once was waiting on my husband & to pass the time was browsing at a jewelry store. The salesman tried to sell me a “sapphire” ring starting at $500 even though I said I wasn’t interested. He followed me out of the store offering to sell it for $15! I believe this was in Mexico.

When buying jewelry in the Caribbean it’s nice to have an idea of which shops are legit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are determined to purchase something on this trip, then you can't go wrong with Imperial Jewelers in Charlotte Amalie, St.Thomas.

Grand and Renaissance Jewelers seem to be highly thought of as well.

We have bought Tanzanite at International Tanzanite and have always had great service and great results. They gave us certificates/appraisals but I always take it to our local jeweler and they have appraised it for much more so we trust them.

Grand and Renaissance Jewelers seem to be highly thought of as well.

No one has ever recommended either of those to me.

If you are considering buying anything with the Crown & Anchor logo, Imperial is the place.

Their other pieces are beautiful also, and usually unseen elsewhere.

Family owned and run business. Lovely people.

We have bought many pieces from Ajanta Jewelers in St Thomas. We have had everything appraised once we got home and has always been appraised for double what we paid for it. Now I will say it has been probably 10 years since we have been there, but they still send us post cards.

They did give us great service also. My wife's diamond fell out shortly after we got one piece, we sent it back they fixed it no charge and sent it back, no questions asked.

I think they actually have a store in New York now.

If you are planning to shop, even on board, ask for a copy in writing of the warranty/guarantee.

The shops on board sell jewelry and watches, some of which can be decent value, but do NOT think that any of the items purchased are warranted by Royal. Read the fine print and ask who the 3rd party is that is offering a warranty. Same is true for on shore shopping. Some items have international warranties, but ask what you have to do to get them serviced when needed.

There are many reputable shopping opportunities; just don't let the excitement of the vacation have you make purchases that you may regret later.

Also, be aware that a "Certificate of Authenticity" may mean very little.

Barb

Edited by barb in ga
add

During our Oasis 7 dayEastern Carribean jaunt next month It's likelythat we will be shopping for a "nice" piece of jewelry - for the Mrs.It's also likely that I will be digging my heels in and the Mrs. will purchaseanyway. Are there any opinions about where to shop? Better pricing on the shipin one of the duty free shops or at local shops on the islands?

Girsh at Ballerina Jewelers. Very reputable, excellent prices. Have used them for over 25 years.

During our Oasis 7 dayEastern Carribean jaunt next month It's likelythat we will be shopping for a "nice" piece of jewelry - for the Mrs.It's also likely that I will be digging my heels in and the Mrs. will purchaseanyway. Are there any opinions about where to shop? Better pricing on the shipin one of the duty free shops or at local shops on the islands?

St Thomas-Imperial Jewelers

St. Maarten - Kay Jewelers ( different then in the states)

We have had great success purchasing from both.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums