Segway tour

w8ing2cruz

I'd be hesitant on this tour just because the description of the tour. There is no coastal town of Costa Maya. There's Nuevo Mahahual right outside the cruise port and the village of Mahahual where the malecon (promenade) is located. The malecon is NOT next to the cruise port, about 3 kilometers away. It is not a "short walk from the pier to any meet up spot outside the cruise port. There is NO "commercial center" in Mahahual along the promenade. There are kiosks and small shops along the malecon.. There is a main area in Nuevo Mahahual where a tequila factory and pharmacia are located and there are some shops there.

Based on the pictures on the sight, it does look like they take you along the beach area to the lighthouse and then down the malecon. Based on the description, the "beach" they stop at is a "private" beach. So I would assume it's not on the main malecon. There are a couple of places to the south of the malecon where the malecon runs into the coastal road but before you'd get to Maya Chan. Have no idea what these are like. I think one is called "Shipwreck" and I've seen mixed reports about it. Mahahual Hotel along the malecon often advertises as a "private beach" but I believe it's just next to Tropicante ( but not El Faro) s nothing really "private" about it.

I'd be hesitant on this tour just because the description of the tour. There is no coastal town of Costa Maya. There's Nuevo Mahahual right outside the cruise port and the village of Mahahual where the malecon (promenade) is located. The malecon is NOT next to the cruise port, about 3 kilometers away. It is not a "short walk from the pier to any meet up spot outside the cruise port. There is NO "commercial center" in Mahahual along the promenade. There are kiosks and small shops along the malecon.. There is a main area in Nuevo Mahahual where a tequila factory and pharmacia are located and there are some shops there.

Based on the pictures on the sight, it does look like they take you along the beach area to the lighthouse and then down the malecon. Based on the description, the "beach" they stop at is a "private" beach. So I would assume it's not on the main malecon. There are a couple of places to the south of the malecon where the malecon runs into the coastal road but before you'd get to Maya Chan. Have no idea what these are like. I think one is called "Shipwreck" and I've seen mixed reports about it. Mahahual Hotel along the malecon often advertises as a "private beach" but I believe it's just next to Tropicante ( but not El Faro) s nothing really "private" about it.

Crew, there are a couple of you tube videos of this tour. It appears they “train” somewhere close to the outside of the port and then take that dual carriage way to the lighthouse. Reviews show they stop there for (15?) minute talk about the area. One short video seems to finish at (krazy lobster?) - you will probably identify better than me. The other longer slide show shows most of the malecon but again I am not that familiar with the area and seems like a lot if it might be out of order, or repeated!

I have never ridden a Segway but I don’t think it would go down the dirt road to Shipwreck - I don’t get the impression from reviews and videos it goes that far. They give you a voucher for taxi back, so again I don’t think they go that far. I doubt they would go further than Luna de Plata, if that.

I don’t read “private” as being isolated, I think it just means individually owned.

Sorry OP I can’t be more specific but I get the impression it stops somewhere on the malecon. The beach is all the same stretch. It seems you can choose another bar if you have a preference, shop or return to port if you want. I may be completely wrong but that is how I read it. Hopefully someone who has actually done it can be more accurate, or maybe someone remembers a Segway group arriving?

Alternatively, can’t you just email the company and ask, and maybe report back here to help someone else!

Edited by c-leg5