Norwegian Newbe

calidreamer

Could you please help me with few questions. I'm planing to go on the Breakaway in October (15 days). I've never cruise with Norwegian before so I would like to know some things beforehand.

1. We are not a "picky" people, we cruise for ports. Anyway, is the free dining option ok? Or do we need to consider specialty restaurants?

2. We are not heavy drinkers, but would love to have a glass or two of wine in the evening in private on the balcony. Is there a possibility to preorder a whiskey or bottle of wine? May I take anything with me ( wine )?

3. I'll have a 13 months old with me. I don't want him to drink any tap water, juices (etc) Better safe then sorry. I still plan to breastfeed but how about bottled water? Can we buy several cases before and have them delivered to our stateroom. How does that work.

That's it for now. I'm sure I will have plenty more questions to come ;)

Could you please help me with few questions. I'm planing to go on the Breakaway in October (15 days). I've never cruise with Norwegian before so I would like to know some things beforehand.

1. We are not a "picky" people, we cruise for ports. Anyway, is the free dining option ok? Or do we need to consider specialty restaurants?

2. We are not heavy drinkers, but would love to have a glass or two of wine in the evening in private on the balcony. Is there a possibility to preorder a whiskey or bottle of wine? May I take anything with me ( wine )?

3. I'll have a 13 months old with me. I don't want him to drink any tap water, juices (etc) Better safe then sorry. I still plan to breastfeed but how about bottled water? Can we buy several cases before and have them delivered to our stateroom. How does that work.

Everyone has different answers to q1. I find the free options fine, others insist on speciality!! Google the menus and decide for yourselves. The buffet has loads of choice.

You can always get drinks from the closest bar - I find that easiest and take back to room. There used to be a wine bottle package but don’t know if they still do it. You can set up a room bar but I think this is expensive. You can take your own wine but you pay $15 for corkage for the privilege.

You can also buy bottled water packages that are delivered - I think there is a package which is 6 litres for $18. I don’t know what the price is in advance for pre order - I think that’s the price onboard. There is no problems with the drinking water onboard though for a 13 month old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can bring 2 bottles of wine for $15 apiece corkage. That's really your best deal. The gifts section of your MyNcl has wine starting at $48 a bottle. If you want liquor you can call the main number and order a bar set up. Ex: 1 liter of Grey Goose, 3 mixers, 3 garnishes = $130. Not as much for non premium brands, but still outrageous.

1. MDRs, O'Sheehans, and even the cafe have plenty of selection and are quite good. No need for the specialty dining, though I do recommend some of the specialty dining restaurants.

2. You can get drinks from any bar on board and carry them with you. You can get two at a time with each keycard if you have the UBP. Otherwise you pay per drink.

3. The "tap water" on a cruise ship is heavily filtered and treated, so is perfectly safe for your baby, but if you want bottled water, you can order it ahead of time through the My NCL site and it will be delivered to your room. Otherwise, they do have a card you can fill out on the first day in your stateroom to have it delivered.

The food in the main dining room is wonderful. Absolutely no need to waste money on specialty dining.

If you want wine, you can bring as many bottles as you want onboard, paying a $15 per bottle corkage (regardless of where you consume it). It must be handcarried onboard. Once onboard, you can select a bottle of wine off the restaurant menu to take back to your room with you. Bottles of whisky can be purchased on board ($99-$139 +20% gratuity).

NCL water packages (65% savings over buying by the bottle on the ship)

6 1-liter bottles $14.95

12 1-liter bottles $27.95

24 1-liter bottles $44.95

Enjoy the new, refurbished Breakaway.

Thank You everyone! You are very helpful.

I also found this on their website: Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula;

So I will give them a call to make sure.

I know tap water should be fine, but honestly I grew up avoiding it and I hate the chemical tase of it ( I know I'm weird ). So I never gave him that either.

Thank You!

If you tell them ahead of time that you have a CPAP they often give you distilled water.

As far as bringing your own wine, it's usually cheaper even with the $15 per bottle fee than wine on the ship. Just make sure to put it in your carry-on. I've brought wine embarking in Manhattan and they didn't charge me the corkage fee; they didn't say anything so neither did I.

If you are not picky eaters and are not the gourmet type you will do just fine with the MDR, buffet and O'Sheehans, for meals. there are a few other places on the ship as well.

Yes, you can buy a bottle or two and have it delivered to your cabin or you can bring wine on and pay a $15 fee per bottle. You can have it in your cabin or at dinner.

The same with the water. I will add, there is absolutely no reason what so ever for not drinking the tap water, whether it is for you or your toddler. If you are set on not doing this, you can purchase the bottled water but it is super over priced.

someone mentioned you can only bring 2 bottles of wine on, that is absolutely not fact. Unless they have changed the policy in the past month or so (not) you can bring as much as you want, but yes, you will still have the $15 per bottle charge and it will be put on your bill as soon as you go through check in.

I am assuming you do not have any perk package. If you do have a choice and you drink more than a few drinks or glasses of wine per day you may want to consider the UBP as a perk. Just a thought I will add, you have to do whatever works best for you.

You can bring 2 bottles of wine for $15 apiece corkage. That's really your best deal. The gifts section of your MyNcl has wine starting at $48 a bottle. If you want liquor you can call the main number and order a bar set up. Ex: 1 liter of Grey Goose, 3 mixers, 3 garnishes = $130. Not as much for non premium brands, but still outrageous.

Regarding wine, correct...you pay $15 corkage fee for each bottle but you are not limited to 2 bottles. Take as much as you like.