How Much of Denali Will We See

masterdrago

If you book from the park vendor, you can probably choose your departure time.  If you book through HAL or the tour is included in your cruisetour price, HAL makes the reservation for you.  Bus seats are not assigned. 

My tour departed at 9:00 AM and I learned of the departure time when I received my chalet keys during the bus ride to Denali.  Several Princess cruisers were not happy with their 7:30 AM tour departure time.  It appears that HAL keeps those departing from Seward by bus all together during their stay/excursions at McKinley Resort as well as the train, so you will many of the same faces whatever you do during your land tour.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:27 PM, Crew News said:

If you book from the park vendor, you can probably choose your departure time.  If you book through HAL or the tour is included in your cruisetour price, HAL makes the reservation for you.  Bus seats are not assigned. 

We booked the tour independently and were able to choose our own departure time. We chose 6:40 am. However, the actual time is assigned 24-48 hours ahead of time. Our 6:40 tour wound up being a 9:10 tour instead. Not our decision - it was theirs. So you'll need to be flexible. There were a couple people who were waiting there for what they thought was their 9:00 am tour - but it too was moved and they didn't know it because they hadn't checked before arriving. 

On 11/1/2018 at 11:09 AM, Gnetgood said:

I called yesterday re:  Tundra Wilderness Tour and I was told Holland America assigns you a time!

it appears we only go to mile 53........it’s hard to pre-plan without knowing departure time.....yikes

Mile 53 is the Toklat River stop.  The early season TWT ends there but so does the Toklat shuttle (transit) bus.

If scheduling is a priority, take the shuttle instead of the tour bus.   Shuttles leave every 30 minutes so you will be able to choose when to leave. 

I assume you're with a HAL Cruisetour so the TWT has already been paid for.   HAL hasn't refunded in the past, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  ( The Tolkat shuttle is only $35 compared to $126. )

The Denali reservation site opens on Dec 1 so you will be able to see the 2019 bus  schedules at that time.  

https://www.reservedenali.com/

Here's last May's shuttle/transit schedule to Toklat.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/2018-transit-schedule.pdf