So tragic, another passenger overboard....

Bequia

Very sad and tragic, my sympathy goes to the family.

I hardly think there is a rash of people falling off ships, though. You have to try pretty hard to fall overboard, the railing is over 4 ft high. I only know of 2 people this year who fell overboard, there may be a few more that I'm not aware of. But, given the fact that millions of people cruise each year, I think your chance of falling off a ship are pretty slim.

You only know about it because the media makes it so well known and because you are on a cruise message board. The more you read about it, or see people interviewed on TV, it just seems like more people are involved than actually are. If it were international news every time a person got hit by jaywalking, many people would never set foot on a street again. It is no less tragic for a family to lose someone they love in a car accident, but we're so used to hearing about that, it's not a great news story like a luxury vacation accident. I'm also sure there are far many more people killed each year in bus accidents, skiing accidents, airplane crashes, etc...

So, have sympathy for all involved in these tragic events, but please put it into proper perspective.

I hardly think there is a rash of people falling off ships, though. You have to try pretty hard to fall overboard, the railing is over 4 ft high. I only know of 2 people this year who fell overboard, there may be a few more that I'm not aware of.

For the year 2005 there were 12 incidents, 2004 there were 9 incidents, 2003 there were 6 incidents, 2002 there were 3 incidents, 2001 there were 4 incidents, 2000 there were 7 incidents, 1999 there were two incidents, 1998 there were 4 incidents, 1997,96 and 95 only one incident per year.

I've been cruising almost 30 years with close to a hundred cruises under my belt. Clearly my statement was not meant to sensationalize the event, merely an observation of the steady increase in these types of incidents happening for whatever reasons aboard cruise ships over the years. So take it easy, I'm not trashing the cruiseline industry. :rolleyes:

For the year 2005 there were 12 incidents, 2004 there were 9 incidents, 2003 there were 6 incidents, 2002 there were 3 incidents, 2001 there were 4 incidents, 2000 there were 7 incidents, 1999 there were two incidents, 1998 there were 4 incidents, 1997,96 and 95 only one incident per year.

I've been cruising almost 30 years with close to a hundred cruises under my belt. Clearly my statement was not meant to sensationalize the event, merely an observation of the steady increase in these types of incidents happening for whatever reasons aboard cruise ships over the years. So take it easy, I'm not trashing the cruiseline industry. :rolleyes:

The rise in these numbers also is parellel to the number of ships and cabins that have increased.

Oh dear. I truly don't care about the stats, this is incredibly sad.

I do agree, with the statement that increased volume has much to do with the numbers.

Still, my heart aches for this family.

Truly a sad time in their lives, and my thoughts and prayers go out to them.

This is a terrible thing to happen and my heart goes out to the family.

My logical side though asks .."how the heck can you fall overboard"?

Where were the parents in the "early hours of the morning" what ever that means??

One would have to be doing something they were not supposed to do in order to fall off a cruise ship.

Very sad and tragic, my sympathy goes to the family.

I hardly think there is a rash of people falling off ships, though. You have to try pretty hard to fall overboard, the railing is over 4 ft high. I only know of 2 people this year who fell overboard, there may be a few more that I'm not aware of. But, given the fact that millions of people cruise each year, I think your chance of falling off a ship are pretty slim.

You only know about it because the media makes it so well known and because you are on a cruise message board. The more you read about it, or see people interviewed on TV, it just seems like more people are involved than actually are. If it were international news every time a person got hit by jaywalking, many people would never set foot on a street again. It is no less tragic for a family to lose someone they love in a car accident, but we're so used to hearing about that, it's not a great news story like a luxury vacation accident. I'm also sure there are far many more people killed each year in bus accidents, skiing accidents, airplane crashes, etc...

So, have sympathy for all involved in these tragic events, but please put it into proper perspective.

My thoughts exactly..it couldn't have been said any better than this.

This is a terrible thing to happen and my heart goes out to the family.

My logical side though asks .."how the heck can you fall overboard"?

Where were the parents in the "early hours of the morning" what ever that means??

One would have to be doing something they were not supposed to do in order to fall off a cruise ship.

I agree with you. That early hours of the morning bothers me and I have visions of Let's play Titanic, like the movie scene. I wish the article had given more information. and Of course it is a tragedy and hopefully a wake-up call to parents.

I'm 5'3" and on our cruise this past December, I made it a point to see exactly how far up the railings of the ship came to my body. On my balcony it was about 8" below my chin (and above the bosom) and approximately the same for the railings on the public decks. Unless you're Shaquille, and you're over 6'5", it's nearly impossible to just fall over the railing. Even when bending over to look at the water, you cannot just fall over the railing. The young lady had to be doing something she shouldn't have, like trying to sit or stand on the railing or on some furniture. And what were they doing alone, late, on the top deck of the ship?

This is a dreadful accident. Thoughts and prayers to everyone involved. Last year a friend was on the QM2 and someone committed suicide. He/she left a note. The ship made an attempt to find the body, but to no avail. Now that I think of it, do you suppose a child could crawl between the rails and fall that way? I'm trying to remember what a rail looks like and if it's feasible.

Esther

Archived