Crystal Low-Water-Level Schedule Changes/Cancellations

bizinsider

Dalekwho,

Re: the Christmas market cruise first week in December on the Crystal Bach,  assume you're on the same one we are, embarking in Basel.  Just received the attached from my TA.  Cruise is being switched to the Crystal Mahler, embarking out of Amsterdam. Two possible itineraries, the final itinerary won't be determined till nearer the embarkation date. 

Crystal Bach Itinerary Change.pdf

15 hours ago, hubbledouble said:

Dalekwho,

Re: the Christmas market cruise first week in December on the Crystal Bach,  assume you're on the same one we are, embarking in Basel.  Just received the attached from my TA.  Cruise is being switched to the Crystal Mahler, embarking out of Amsterdam. Two possible itineraries, the final itinerary won't be determined till nearer the embarkation date. 

Crystal Bach Itinerary Change.pdf

That's interesting, Dalekwho.

We were booked on the Mahler December 6 for 16 nights from Amsterdam to Budapest and were notified last Friday that it was cancelled. Pretty disappointing. We were offered the same itinerary in July but that defeats the Christmas Market theme that we booked. Not sure what we are going to do at this point.

Sarah

hubbledouble,  is there any way you can cut and paste the letter?  Can't open your attachment.  We are on the Mahler Dec 22 out of Budapest, but it looks like that ship may not make it to Budapest.  We would love to know where the ship MIGHT end up so we can look into alternate flight arrangements to get to some other city instead of Budapest.  That should be really easy fixing airfare that was booked 9 months ago and is a week before Christmas!

We are also booked on the Mahler departing Budapest on December 22.   Very worried about flights.   It is interesting that they completely cancellled the December 6 cruise rather than re-routing.   Looking forward to hearing more.  

I just got off the phone with Crystal and you aren't going to be happy.  The Mahler will not be in Budapest on Dec 22 and even though they have not "formally" cancelled the voyage, it won't be going.  The agent I spoke with explained that the Mahler is going to be used out of Amsterdam in December and will primarily be doing Netherlands, Belgium and Germany.  The problem WE have is that the second trip they have planned (as of today) doesn't return to Amsterdam until Dec 26, four days after we were supposed to begin our trip. They do not have any idea what the Mahler will be doing starting Dec 26, so now we just have to sit and wait until work out all these details.  She also said that passengers were being offered space on the Mozart or Ravel out of Vienna subject to availability but the dates are whacked.  We have non-changeable routing tickets from San Diego to London to Budapest and now if we want to do anything over there we are forced to fly to Budapest, overnight and then fly somewhere else.  Needless to say, this is the most disappointing news we could have gotten.  We did take insurance so I supposed we could just get all our money back and try to figure something else out.  

4 hours ago, Mangiantini said:

I just got off the phone with Crystal and you aren't going to be happy.  The Mahler will not be in Budapest on Dec 22 and even though they have not "formally" cancelled the voyage, it won't be going.  

Please keep us informed on what you decide.

I just spoke with Crystal about my Mozart trip. I wanted the address for the pier as it was not in my docs. I did ask if there were any itinerary changes and they said no. It wouldn't surprise me if we are busses from Vienna to Bratislava and if we are, that is ok with me (an hour I believe).

Coral, that is great news for you and for all the other Mozart passengers.  I WISH we had chosen that ship now, but we sailed her summer of 2017 and thought we should do the Mahler because the itinerary was different.  Now that we are starting in Budapest and very few ships have made it in there for a couple of months AND the Mahler is not scheduled to be anywhere near Vienna, Bratislava or Budapest, I can't imagine how they would operate the Dec 22nd cruise.  Maybe they will pull a rabbit out of the hat, but I'm not counting on it.

I realize the specificity of this thread, but is anyone aware if other river cruise lines are suffering the same chaos?  I am a Crystal fan but haven't done a river cruise and have wanted to in the near future.  But now, I'm thinking that the logistics are too iffy.  Even with trip insurance, who wants to anticipate the experience for months (or years) only to have everything change/cancel in the last moments?

• Like 1

Mangiantini,

Per your earlier request, here's the letter from Crystal

Dear Valued Travel Partner,

We are writing today with an important update regarding your clients' "Rhine Christmas Markets" river cruise aboard Crystal Bach, scheduled to depart on December 5, 2018.

There are two developments we wish to bring to your attention. First, as a result of a technical issue that arose on an earlier cruise, Crystal Bach is undergoing repairs that will not be completed in time for your clients' voyage and therefore her identical sister ship Crystal Mahler will be sailing in her place. Additionally, due to unseasonably dry conditions in central Europe, the Rhine River, specifically in the area upstream of Cologne and heading toward Basel, is currently not accessible due to extremely low water levels. Based on these circumstances, forecasts for the near future, and our effort to offer our guests a selection of Christmas Markets to visit, we are obliged to amend the itinerary for this sailing with one of two potential plans that will be finalized closer to departure based on water levels. For easy reference, below is the original itinerary followed by the two possible new itineraries.

Original Itinerary: Crystal Bach

Date

Arrive

Depart

Dec 5

Basel, Switzerland

Embark

Overnight

Dec 6

Basel, Switzerland

-

10 pm

Dec 7

Breisach, Germany

9 am

9 pm

Dec 8

Strasbourg, France

10 am

10 pm

Dec 9

Speyer, Germany

9 am

11 pm

Dec 10

Mainz, Germany

6 am

1 pm

Rüdesheim, Germany

3 pm

Overnight

Dec 11

Rüdesheim, Germany

-

8 am

Koblenz, Germany

1 pm

10 pm

Dec 12

Cologne, Germany

6 am

8 pm

Dec 13

Amsterdam, Netherlands

2 pm

Overnight

Dec 14

Amsterdam, Netherlands

-

Overnight

Dec 15

Amsterdam, Netherlands

-

Disembark

NEW Itinerary #1: Crystal Mahler - Rhine & Moselle Christmas Markets

Requires favorable water levels in the area of Koblenz for the ship to access the Moselle River. The Moselle River Valley is home to a number of picturesque villages and cities that have some of the most charming and atmospheric Christmas Markets in Germany. Here's the complete itinerary:

Date

Arrive

Depart

Dec 5

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Embark

Overnight

Dec 6

Amsterdam, Netherlands

-

1 pm

Dec 7

Düsseldorf, Germany

9 am

5 pm

Dec 8

Koblenz, Germany

8 am

7 pm

Dec 9

Bernkastel, Germany

1 pm

11 pm

Dec 10

Trier, Germany

7 am

Overnight

Dec 11

Trier, Germany

-

6 pm

Dec 12

Cochem, Germany

2 pm

8 pm

Dec 13

Andernach, Germany

9 am

4 pm

Dec 14

Nijmegen, Netherlands

9 am

6 pm

Dec 15

Amsterdam, Netherlands

4 am

Disembark

NEW Itinerary #2: Crystal Mahler

Excursions to Christmas Markets in Antwerp, Düsseldorf and Cologne will be among our offerings. Here's the complete itinerary:

Date

Arrive

Depart

Dec 5

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Embark

Overnight

Dec 6

Amsterdam, Netherlands

-

1 pm

Dec 7

Düsseldorf, Germany

9 am

Overnight

Dec 8

Düsseldorf, Germany

-

6 pm

Dec 9

Nijmegen, Netherlands

8am

6 pm

Dec 10

Rotterdam, Netherlands

9 am

8 pm

Dec 11

Ghent, Belgium

9 am

Overnight

Dec 12

Ghent, Belgium

-

11 pm

Dec 13

Antwerp, Belgium

6 am

Overnight

Dec 14

Antwerp, Belgium

-

1 pm

Dec 15

Amsterdam, Netherlands

4 am

Disembark

*Please note that due to congestion along the river, the times and order of ports are subject to change. Itinerary may be subject to further change based on water levels.

As a result of these changes, guests will now embark the ship in Amsterdam, Netherlands (rather than Basel). Amsterdam International Airport (AMS) is the closest airport, located about 45 minutes from the port. Complimentary motor coach transfers will be provided between the airport and the ship on the day of embarkation.

Inbound Flights

We are pleased to provide guests with independent flight arrangements up to USD $1,000 per guest reimbursement for the cost of amending the inbound transoceanic flight from Basel (BSL) to Amsterdam (AMS). Alternatively, the same allowance can be used towards the purchase of a separate economy-class ticket for travel to Amsterdam from Basel on the day of embarkation. So that we can arrange transfers from the Amsterdam airport to the ship, please email any new or revised flight information to RiverButler@CrystalCruises.com by Thursday, November 15 (please include your clients' booking number). Please send complete documentation of your clients' out-of-pocket cost and proof of payment to GuestRelations2@crystalcruises.com so that we may process reimbursement. Kindly allow four to six weeks for processing.

For guests with flights arranged by Crystal, we will adjust those flights (same class of service) to match the new itinerary at no additional cost. Please note: stopovers and custom itineraries on the new flight arrangements are subject to additional charges. Alternatively, we can provide a separate economy-class ticket for travel to Amsterdam from Basel on the day of embarkation. Please contact Guest Support Services at GuestSupport@crystalcruises.com or (800) 290-0032 with your clients' preference no later than Thursday, November 15.

Shore Excursions

Details of our shore excursion offerings will be provided on board the ship along with registration forms.

Although this situation is beyond our control, we wish to apologize for any inconvenience your clients might experience. For guests who wish to continue on the amended itinerary, as a gesture of goodwill, we are pleased to extend a Future Cruise Credit equal to 25% of the cruise fare paid, valid towards any Crystal Experience (Ocean, River or Yacht Expedition) embarking on or before December 31, 2020.

Guests who do not wish to travel on the amended itinerary may cancel and receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid, valid towards any Crystal Experience (Ocean, River or Yacht Expedition) embarking on or before December 31, 2020.

So that we may prepare accordingly, please review these options with your clients, and let us know their preference no later than Thursday, November 15, by contacting our Guest Support Services team at GuestSupport@crystalcruises.com or (800) 290-0032.

Thank you for your partnership. It will be our pleasure to welcome your clients aboard Crystal Mahler for a lovely river journey.

Sincerely,

Crystal
Guest Services

1 hour ago, Oldman@sea said:

I realize the specificity of this thread, but is anyone aware if other river cruise lines are suffering the same chaos?  I am a Crystal fan but haven't done a river cruise and have wanted to in the near future.  But now, I'm thinking that the logistics are too iffy.  Even with trip insurance, who wants to anticipate the experience for months (or years) only to have everything change/cancel in the last moments?

Yes - many of them are. I have a friend who was on an 8 night cruise with Viking and half of it was being bused. His times in port were greatly affected. His impression of River Cruising is negative due to that. Crystal's one issue is that their ship was hit by a barge. This is unpredictable and can happen on any line. The other issue is water.

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, Mangiantini said:

Coral, that is great news for you and for all the other Mozart passengers.  I WISH we had chosen that ship now, but we sailed her summer of 2017 and thought we should do the Mahler because the itinerary was different.  Now that we are starting in Budapest and very few ships have made it in there for a couple of months AND the Mahler is not scheduled to be anywhere near Vienna, Bratislava or Budapest, I can't imagine how they would operate the Dec 22nd cruise.  Maybe they will pull a rabbit out of the hat, but I'm not counting on it.

I wish you the best!

@hubbledouble, many thanks for posting the complete letter.  This is very problematic for me being booked on the Mahler Dec 22 from Budapest.  According to your letter, the Mahler will be in Amsterdam on December 15 at the end of your voyage.  There just isn't any way possible for that ship to be in Budapest (or anywhere close) by Dec 22.  It's too far.  Crystal is telling me that there have been no changes to my voyage, but that is physically impossible.  By the time we do find out what is going on we would be unable to get to any other port or re-do airfare as we will be so close to Christmas.  It's just such a shame that everything is unravelling with the trip.  No one's fault -- no water means no river cruising!  Have a great time if you are still going to get on in Amsterdam!

Pully, if you do your own airfare (as we did) then they give you a little $$ to try and fix the tickets.  If they your airfare, they fix it! It would not be a problem to buy a one way ticket from Budapest to Amsterdam and we would do that to save the trip.  Our tickets will not let us change to fly into a different city, so no matter what, we are flying into Budapest.  

Regarding the two possible new itineraries for the Crystal Bach (which will actually be on the Crystal Mahler) noted in the letter above from Crystal, new itinerary #1 looks excellent.  The stops along the Moselle (Koblenz, Bernkastel, Trier and Cochem) are outstanding.  Not only that, the Moselle itself is gorgeous with its many vineyards and charming  towns along the way. 

The second itinerary visits larger cities, which will give the cruise a much different feel, but Antwerp, Ghent, Rotterdam and Dusseldorf are each enjoyable, with great historical and architectural sites.  Also, there will certainly be an all-day excursion to Bruges, which should be the highlight of this itinerary. 

All in all, I would jump at either itinerary.  Disclaimer:  I know nothing about Christmas markets and so I have no idea if these itineraries would be satisfactory in that regard. 

Has anyone heard from Crystal's "Guest Support" recently?

They haven't responded to my e-mail for a couple days.  Even our TA is having trouble getting through.

Maybe they're overwhelmed with messages from people excited about their altered cruises.

31 minutes ago, dalekwho said:

Has anyone heard from Crystal's "Guest Support" recently?

They haven't responded to my e-mail for a couple days.  Even our TA is having trouble getting through.

Maybe they're overwhelmed with messages from people excited about their altered cruises.

I called yesterday as I had a different question. They promptly answered that and then I asked about my Mozart trip. They said no modifications are made. I think there is a chance we will have to be bused to Bratislava but otherwise I think I am ok. I am sure you are asking about those on the other ships but just wanted to let you know I called and reached a person quickly yesterday.

@dalekwho,

I got a response back in 48 hours regarding my question of how they intended to operate the Dec 22 departure out of Budapest when the ship is being used out of Amsterdam and no other ships have been able to get into Budapest in months. Also, the Bach was hit by a barge and is in a shipyard getting repaired.  I saw a picture on www.marinetraffic.com and it looked bad.

Here is the response I got to the email I sent:

Good day,

Thank you for your email. Please be advised, as soon as we receive any advisories for your voyage we will promptly advise both agents and guests. We understand your concerns as we thank you for your patience. Thank you for choosing Crystal Cruises.

Regards,

My TA said she had to leave voicemails to get a call back but I've called 3 or 4 times and got right through every time.  

27 minutes ago, Mangiantini said:

My TA said she had to leave voicemails to get a call back but I've called 3 or 4 times and got right through every time.  

Usually Travel Agents speak to "different people" than cruisers do. During the phone tree they often say, if you are an agent press 1, if you are booked on a cruise press 2 (or whatever), etc....

I would expect agents to have a quicker response but apparently not always.

Edited by Coral

23 hours ago, Mangiantini said:

@dalekwho,

I got a response back in 48 hours regarding my question of how they intended to operate the Dec 22 departure out of Budapest when the ship is being used out of Amsterdam and no other ships have been able to get into Budapest in months. Also, the Bach was hit by a barge and is in a shipyard getting repaired.  I saw a picture on www.marinetraffic.com and it looked bad.

Here is the response I got to the email I sent:

Good day,

Thank you for your email. Please be advised, as soon as we receive any advisories for your voyage we will promptly advise both agents and guests. We understand your concerns as we thank you for your patience. Thank you for choosing Crystal Cruises.

Regards,

Thanks for the info.  Our TA eventually got through.  Apparently "Guest Support" is very busy and are processing changes/complaints in the order they are received.