Crystal Low-Water-Level Schedule Changes/Cancellations

bizinsider

Just received the following regarding our Dec 6-13 Danube cruise on Ravel from Vienna-Budapest:

Dear Crystal Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Crystal Ravel’s "Danube Christmas Dreams" river cruise departing on December 6, 2018.

Due to unseasonably dry conditions in central Europe, and a record heat wave, the Danube River, specifically the stretch of river between Bratislava and Budapest, is experiencing extremely low water levels.

Even though water levels may improve with just one hearty rainfall, at this time we are erring on the side of caution to prepare our guests for the possibility of a change to a portion of the itinerary on this upcoming cruise. We have well-thought-out contingency plans prepared to ensure you enjoy a fabulous vacation with us.

The safety and comfort of our guests are of the utmost importance to Crystal, and current forecasts for water levels along the route are being monitored continuously.If the itinerary is amended, we will provide you with the necessary details as soon as those changes are confirmed. As we’re dealing with just centimeters of water, and one sizable rainfall can provide us with the substantive amount of water needed, it is possible changes may be made close to departure.

Your travel advisor has received this information as well.

While this act of nature is beyond our control, all of us at Crystal apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We are all committed to providing our guests with a memorable vacation experience.

Sincerely, 

Crystal
Guest Services

We are already leaving for Europe on Nov 24 so any changes we need to do will have to be done while we are travelling.  :-(

Just hoping that we can still embark in Vienna as we are meeting our daughter in Vienna.

We will be taking the Mozart on a round-trip Vienna cruise leaving Nov 30. From following these posts it seems we’re probably okay with our itinerary as we range from Passau (or is Vilsofen farther) to Bratislava. We are curious about weather as the forecast seems to indicate it’s getting colder fast and even the possibility of “wintery precipitation.”  Anybody currently on the Danube want to report?

1 hour ago, larryfromtexas said:

We will be taking the Mozart on a round-trip Vienna cruise leaving Nov 30. From following these posts it seems we’re probably okay with our itinerary as we range from Passau (or is Vilsofen farther) to Bratislava. We are curious about weather as the forecast seems to indicate it’s getting colder fast and even the possibility of “wintery precipitation.”  Anybody currently on the Danube want to report?

Mark Farris posted a Facebook video of snow flakes at night in Austria. He is the Entertainment Host on the the Crystal Ravel. There was a passenger on the deck in shirt sleeves but crew members were totally wrap up.

Edited by JohnKen3

Hello All, 

I signed on to the cruise planner to print out my shore excursions for our Mahler trip on Dec 22 from Budapest to Nuremburg and it looks like the itinerary has already completely changed.  The voyage is now showing a departure from Frankfurt (Cochem) ending in Cologne. The dates haven't changed, but the trip is completely different and shows 4 overnights in the middle of the trip in Amsterdam.  Notified our TA and she is checking this morning to see what options we may have as we do not want to travel on this itinerary.  We have so many pre and post arrangements (including non changeable air) that we just cannot make this work.  We do have another Crystal river booked for next July, so hopefully we can just transfer funds to the other booking.  Have not had any communication from Crystal yet regarding the changes so fingers crossed.  It's a shame the weather has caused so much havoc. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, larryfromtexas said:

Yesterday Vienna had rain/snow mix. Same this morning. This afternoon it was just cold but dry (around 35 F). Weather has definitely dropped since I arrived Sunday night. Tour of "Vienna in a Nutshell" was fun and it allowed 1 3/4 hours free at St. Stephen's Church/ Square where there is a Christmas Market. Crystal gave us a voucher for a drink in a Red Boot and to keep the cup. We just did Muster and am off to dinner.

Spoke with people who got off the ship today. The ship did not make it to Budapest and they were put up at the Ritz Carlton. They were not complaining. Our itinerary doesn't go there.

Ship looks great and everyone has been wonderful so far. I embarked around 10:30.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coral said:

Yesterday Vienna had rain/snow mix. Same this morning. This afternoon it was just cold but dry (around 35 F). Weather has definitely dropped since I arrived Sunday night. Tour of "Vienna in a Nutshell" was fun and it allowed 1 3/4 hours free at St. Stephen's Church/ Square where there is a Christmas Market. Crystal gave us a voucher for a drink in a Red Boot and to keep the cup. We just did Muster and am off to dinner.

Spoke with people who got off the ship today. The ship did not make it to Budapest and they were put up at the Ritz Carlton. They were not complaining. Our itinerary doesn't go there.

Ship looks great and everyone has been wonderful so far. I embarked around 10:30.

That is an awesome report, Coral!  I appreciate your "on the spot" reporting.  You have been very helpful and every post you make is a useful and valuable piece of the puzzle.  I hope you have a wonderful cruise, exactly the one you hoped for!

Mangiantini - thank you for the info on the itinerary change on the 12/22 cruise.  I agree with you on the itinerary.  If I had wanted 4 nights in Amsterdam, I would have booked a hotel, not a river cruise.  What a disappointment!!  

• Like 1

We asked about Bratislava - they said we would not know until we were in Passau if we would be bused or not. It is only an hour - so not a big deal. The buses are comfortable.

So far, food and service has been amazing on the Mozart. I did meet some passengers who were supposed to be on the Bach.

Today looks to be 40 F and dry.

We received word from Crystal yesterday that our sailing on December 22 on the Mahler has officially been cancelled.  Not to worry -- Crystal has offered FIVE different and wonderful options.  We chose to be moved over to the Dec 22nd sailing of the Ravel which is actually a longer trip than what we were booked on.  We can't change our air and are still flying into Budapest, but always fly in one day early, so we have the next day to get back to Vienna.  No problem, Crystal is assisting with that as well.  We are ending up in Vienna and not Nuremberg so Crystal is also helping fix that problem.  On top of that they are offering 20% off our next trip which happens to be booked already for next July on the Crystal Debussy.  THIS IS WHY WE WILL ONLY SAIL WITH CRYSTAL. I'd say they have gone above and beyond expectations.  We are so grateful to Crystal and our travel agent that we are going to have a fabulous Christmas and New Years after all!

1 hour ago, Mangiantini said:

We received word from Crystal yesterday that our sailing on December 22 on the Mahler has officially been cancelled.  Not to worry -- Crystal has offered FIVE different and wonderful options.  We chose to be moved over to the Dec 22nd sailing of the Ravel which is actually a longer trip than what we were booked on.  We can't change our air and are still flying into Budapest, but always fly in one day early, so we have the next day to get back to Vienna. 

Sounds like a great option! I hope you have a wonderful cruise. The Crystal Ravel was in Vienna today with us and we were rafted with them and a Viking ship. I asked if I could walk around and the Crystal person said yes - but I was going to a tour and only walked through the dining room. She is definitely a beauty on the outside and from what I could see on the inside.

Have a great Christmas and New Years!

1 hour ago, Mangiantini said:

We received word from Crystal yesterday that our sailing on December 22 on the Mahler has officially been cancelled.  Not to worry -- Crystal has offered FIVE different and wonderful options.  We chose to be moved over to the Dec 22nd sailing of the Ravel which is actually a longer trip than what we were booked on.  We can't change our air and are still flying into Budapest, but always fly in one day early, so we have the next day to get back to Vienna.  No problem, Crystal is assisting with that as well.  We are ending up in Vienna and not Nuremberg so Crystal is also helping fix that problem.  On top of that they are offering 20% off our next trip which happens to be booked already for next July on the Crystal Debussy.  THIS IS WHY WE WILL ONLY SAIL WITH CRYSTAL. I'd say they have gone above and beyond expectations.  We are so grateful to Crystal and our travel agent that we are going to have a fabulous Christmas and New Years after all!

That is great news. We have sailed Uniworld four times, and Avalon once, and have had great experiences with Uniworld, but Crystal is definitely on our radar. In fact, I was just looking at their 2020 offerings.

Have a great holiday.

Robin

Sailed on Mahler Oct.19-Nov 4. Ship is fantastic, crew is typical Crystal Crew, AMAZING!! Although the itinerary was not what we signed up for we found the itinerary very interesting.... primarily Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. Excursions were very good and groups were kept small. Crystal provided hearing equipment so guide could be heard by everyone in the group. This is a huge advantage for a photographer... allows one to go ahead or lag behind and still hear the guide.

Once you get past the air changes, I don't think anyone would be disappointed with an altered itinerary.

2 hours ago, ssb1951 said:

Sailed on Mahler Oct.19-Nov 4. Ship is fantastic, crew is typical Crystal Crew, AMAZING!! Although the itinerary was not what we signed up for we found the itinerary very interesting.... primarily Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. Excursions were very good and groups were kept small. Crystal provided hearing equipment so guide could be heard by everyone in the group. This is a huge advantage for a photographer... allows one to go ahead or lag behind and still hear the guide.

Once you get past the air changes, I don't think anyone would be disappointed with an altered itinerary.

We agree completely.  We boarded on the 4th Nov and there were only 29 guests that week but even when numbers increased, the service was still fantastic.

We enjoyed the changed itinerary and the ports.   We learnt a lot about places we had never been, even though we live in the UK, not far away! We visited art galleries, museums, churches, castles and historic houses. We tasted cheese and beer and wine.   We enjoyed lots of Dutch apple pie!  We went on canal boat rides and climbed to the top of a windmill and learnt about all things Dutch!  We had lots of 'Crystal moments' including the Signature Event which was a wonderful concert in an Abbey. We thought the tours, all complimentary, were really good in Crystal’s own super comfortable coaches with small groups and accompanied by excellent guides and a member of Crystal's crew.  Although this wasn't our original chosen itinerary or our originally booked ship, we had a great time. There was such a friendly atmosphere on board too. 

They apparently announced this the first day and I missed it. On the Mozart now and we are staying on the ship in Passau instead of going to Vilshofen an der Donau and being bused to Regensburg for my excursion. I think all the excursions are running. We will not know about Bratislava until at the last moment.

Edited by Coral

Same message, 2 weeks in a row...

Dear Crystal Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Crystal Ravel’s "Danube Christmas Dreams" river cruise departing on December 13, 2018.

Due to unseasonably dry conditions in central Europe, and a record heat wave, the Danube River, specifically the stretch of river between Bratislava and Budapest, is experiencing extremely low water levels.

Even though water levels may improve with just one hearty rainfall, at this time we are erring on the side of caution to prepare our guests for the possibility of a change to a portion of the itinerary on this upcoming cruise. We have well-thought-out contingency plans prepared to ensure you enjoy a fabulous vacation with us.

The safety and comfort of our guests are of the utmost importance to Crystal, and current forecasts for water levels along the route are being monitored continuously. If the itinerary is amended, we will provide you with the necessary details as soon as those changes are confirmed. As we’re dealing with just centimeters of water, and one sizable rainfall can provide us with the substantive amount of water needed, it is possible changes may be made close to departure.

Your travel advisor has received this information as well.

While this act of nature is beyond our control, all of us at Crystal apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We are all committed to providing our guests with a memorable vacation experience.

Sincerely,

Crystal
Guest Services

Edited by Kwaj girl
  • Like 1

On Mozart - in Krems today. Our ship is going to Vienna as opposed to Bratislava. People will be bused to the tour in Bratislava for their tours or can stay in Vienna. We then are in Vienna overnight for the last full day of our tour. We leave Friday for our return flight.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

On Mozart - in Krems today. Our ship is going to Vienna as opposed to Bratislava. People will be bused to the tour in Bratislava for their tours or can stay in Vienna. We then are in Vienna overnight for the last full day of our tour. We leave Friday for our return flight.

There is really not a lot in Bratislava. Its just about ticking another country in Eastern Europe.  The drive is about an hour each way. 

Krems is lovely. There is lovely wine tour (very well done; a bit Disney-sque) near there 30 mins drive (?) at a spa resort. 

Edited by JohnKen3

3 hours ago, JohnKen3 said:

There is really not a lot in Bratislava. Its just about ticking another country in Eastern Europe.  The drive is about an hour each way. 

Krems is lovely. There is lovely wine tour (very well done; a bit Disney-sque) near there 30 mins drive (?) at a spa resort. 

Yes - that is exactly what I was thinking (both pro and con) - not a lot but when will I ever have another chance to go there. I was leaning towards not going but peer pressure may make me force me the other way now.

Krems was wonderful.

BTW - I had found your blog from your Mozart trip and it helped me tremendously. Thank you!

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Anyone have the current status of the Ravel? According to the original schedule it should have been in Melk today (2 Dec).

I use a website called cruisemapper   www.cruisemapper.com   There is a search box and you type in the name of the vessel and it locates it on a map.  Ravel is currently docked at Linz.

1 hour ago, larryfromtexas said:

We are aboard the Mozart and just arrived in Linz. I believe the Ravel is alongside of us. Headed to Salzburg for a bus tour today. Rain all night, and light rain now. There has been no mention of itinerary changes for Mozart that I’ve heard. Having a GREAT time!

I did not attend "Meet the Officers" the first night. That is when they told us on the last cruise that we were spending an extra night in Passau as opposed to Vilshofen and that sailing to Bratislava would be a last minute decision. Did you attend this meeting? I heard 2nd hand about it.

Enjoy Salzburg! I loved that day. They will let you tour the Ravel if you ask them :). 

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

I did not attend "Meet the Officers" the first night. That is when they told us on the last cruise that we were spending an extra night in Passau as opposed to Vilshofen and that sailing to Bratislava would be a last minute decision. Did you attend this meeting? I heard 2nd hand about it.

Enjoy Salzburg! I loved that day. They will let you tour the Ravel if you ask them :). 

Hello Coral. We did attend the Meet the Officers night and don’t recall that announcement. We’ll see as the week unfolds. As you reported the food is great and the service is spectacular. We heard there were 89 passengers aboard (capacity is around 160?) and I think there is 94 crew, so you can’t walk two feet without someone greeting you or serving you. 

We’ve decided to not leave the ship. Ha!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, larryfromtexas said:

Hello Coral. We did attend the Meet the Officers night and don’t recall that announcement. We’ll see as the week unfolds. As you reported the food is great and the service is spectacular. We heard there were 89 passengers aboard (capacity is around 160?) and I think there is 94 crew, so you can’t walk two feet without someone greeting you or serving you. 

We’ve decided to not leave the ship. Ha!

Yes - I think capacity is 154 or something like that. I guess I assumed we were full but never asked. We had several who were booked on other sailings who got moved to ours. Yes - I felt like in the dining room there were as many employees as passengers! I will email someone who went to the meeting and see what they say. 

It is a great ship! Relax today - you still have a large part of the cruise left. It is a tiring itinerary.

Also - on Thanksgiving we all ordered Turkey but they also had Wiener schnitzel - we ordered a small portion. Theirs was amazing. When it is on the menu - order it!

Edited by Coral