What time does the gym open?!?!

MSW117SL

We have been on the Royal, Regal and Majestic many times since 2016 and there is has never been a restriction on any use of equipment at any time.

We also have been on the other ships mentioned and many times you are let in early and it always amazes me that people just remove the "Do Not Use Treadmills Until 8:00 AM) and no one does anything about it even though it is way before 8:00 AM.....:)

When we were on the Regal someone plugged a treadmill back in, removed the sign, and began using it before 8:00 AM. He was very unpopular, particularly with those waiting to use one, then a crewmember stepped in.

I was also curious why the time limit on the treadmills, since the Horizon Court, Deck 16, is directly below the fitness center. Reason given was that noise complaints from the balcony cabins on Deck 15, which are also below the fitness center but separated by one deck. There was no problem with walkers on the treadmills but the pounding of runners reverberated on down to those cabins.

I was just reading another thread and someone meantioned that the gym didn't open until 7:00am on their ship - The Golden. Is that the same for all ships? That may be a big deal breaker with my hubby that goes to the gym every morning at 5:30am.

Leave him home , they open at 7.

On most Princess ships, the gym opens at 7 , and the treadmills open at 8, regardless of the location of the gym. The noise of the treadmills reverberates down several decks. It is good to know this information before booking the cruise.

But, it is also good to remember that no matter what time the treadmills or gym open, there will always be bitterly disappointed runners. If the treadmills open at 6, there will be people unhappy because they did not open at 5. If they open at 5, there will be people upset because they didn't open at 4. And on and on.

Princess really cannot please everyone when it comes to hours for the gym and treadmills.

We also have been on the other ships mentioned and many times you are let in early and it always amazes me that people just remove the "Do Not Use Treadmills Until 8:00 AM) and no one does anything about it even though it is way before 8:00 AM.....:)

It always amazes me that this problem first occured in the grand design in 1997 when grand entered service.

In 20 years Princess has been unable to hire an acoustic engineer and install a sound proof floor under the

treadmills.

At home, I like to go to the gym at 6. On a cruise, it's even more important to me to go early, so I'm ready for

other activities in the day.

I understand people under the gym want to sleep.

There is a solution. Princess simply doesn't care.

I was also curious why the time limit on the treadmills, since the Horizon Court, Deck 16, is directly below the fitness center. Reason given was that noise complaints from the balcony cabins on Deck 15, which are also below the fitness center but separated by one deck. There was no problem with walkers on the treadmills but the pounding of runners reverberated on down to those cabins.

Interesting....because I have never heard gym noise on the Regal, Royal or Majestic in the Horizon Court right below the gym because the buffet is always so noisy. I would think the only noise people would hear on Deck 15 would be noises from the Horizon Court.....like I said I have never seen any restrictions at anytime on the gym equipment on the Royal Class ships and we have sailed 150 days in total just on them.....:confused:

It always amazes me that this problem first occured in the grand design in 1997 when grand entered service.

In 20 years Princess has been unable to hire an acoustic engineer and install a sound proof floor under the

treadmills.

At home, I like to go to the gym at 6. On a cruise, it's even more important to me to go early, so I'm ready for

other activities in the day.

I understand people under the gym want to sleep.

There is a solution. Princess simply doesn't care.

Princess does care - just not about the passengers who want to use the poorly-placed gym.

Interesting....because I have never heard gym noise on the Regal, Royal or Majestic in the Horizon Court right below the gym because the buffet is always so noisy. I would think the only noise people would hear on Deck 15 would be noises from the Horizon Court.....like I said I have never seen any restrictions at anytime on the gym equipment on the Royal Class ships and we have sailed 150 days in total just on them.....:confused:

You indicated you hadn't been on the Royal Class vessels prior to 2017. As I mentioned we haven't been on one of them since 2016 but did almost two months worth of sailing on the Regal and the Royal before 2017.

My guess is, if you and others are correct in that they don't restrict use of treadmills before 8:00 AM anymore on the Royal Class, is that Princess had a reversal of policy about that time. Probably because there isn't many noise complaints from Deck 15 occupants due treadmill noise. I would suggest that is due to the preponderance of treadmill users being cruise ship guests who are walkers and not hard core runners.

I realize that it is generally a good idea to avoid cabins below the pool deck and buffet areas due noise, however we have been stuck in cabins below such on more than one occasion and have never been bothered by noise from above, probably a result of good sound proofing. But scrapping noise from deck chairs and tables is one thing, a heavy runner on a treadmill is another thing entirely when it comes to noise. As a hard core runner myself and one who has frequented gyms for decades I can attest to the racket a couple of dedicated runners can make on treadmills, even making it uncomfortable for someone located at a far corner of a large gymnasium. Doesn't surprise me at all that some poor dude, trying to catch a few extra early morning ZZZ's, multiple decks below these runners, ain't going to be able to do so.